Kenko extension tubes (Canon mount)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm... I think the teleplus 25mm tube is around $70-80+.

Sigma 105mm macro is about $600

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Any idea how much a set of these will cost me?

Also, Sigma 105mm EX Macro and Vivitar 5000 ring light.

Thanks!

I just tested the Sigma 105 Macro today, IMO, its way too slow. By the time i get the focus, the dragonfly had been scared off and flies away.

I'll rather go for the Canon 100mm Macro non-USM, which is about the same prices.

Originally posted by Simon

I just tested the Sigma 105 Macro today, IMO, its way too slow. By the time i get the focus, the dragonfly had been scared off and flies away.

I'll rather go for the Canon 100mm Macro non-USM, which is about the same prices.

Simon, do you happen to know the price of the 100mm USM version?

Thanks for the info. Will probably get the extension tubes first, and use with my 28-135 IS USM, and if cannot tahan then will get the Macro lens.

Simon, WHERE did you get the ST-E2 from? CP and AP both say they don't have.

Perhaps that's why I've been hearing those who are into macro-photography favour the use of MF when it comes to shooting insects and such...

Megaweb, thx for your info.

Anyone knows where to buy Kenko 12 mm extension tubes? I cannot find it in Alan Photo.

IMG_0900a.jpg

This is the one that Ziploc mentioned. I bought it several months ago around that price at Photoguide Peninsula. It works fine with my D30 and Sigma 70-200mm. It also can be coupled with Sigma 2XTele Converter.

Thanks for the info. Will probably get the extension tubes first, and use with my 28-135 IS USM, and if cannot tahan then will get the Macro lens.

Simon, WHERE did you get the ST-E2 from? CP and AP both say they don't have.

You want to try mine first? Leave me a PM, i'll pass to you.

Thank for the info.

About 3 hours ago, I mysteriously found myself walking around in Peninsula Plaza (even though I was suppposedly looking for a wireless keyboard for the PC). You know how these things happened.

Anyway, although Fotoguide was about to close the guy was good enough to entertain me. He wanted $95 for the Uniplus 25mm tube. I asked if he had the Kenko. Nope, but he dug out a set of 3 tubes 13mm, 21mm, 31mm, all stacked up. $155 for the set. Brand name Panagor. Despite not having heard of the brand name before, I bought the tubes. After all, they were optically perfect - no glass!

I also got a Suntax macro ring flash (Suntax RF18AFC) for $140. Another shop in Peninsula Shopping Complex wanted $199 for the same item. "Today's price only, and we are closing at 5 pm. Take it or leave it." Ahhhh. ha ha ha. Thanks but no thanks.

Anyway, I brought home the two new toys, and tried it on my 50mm 1.8. No good leh. Too close. Much better with my trusty old 75-300mm lens. Perfect!

The flash did not work very well at first, consistently under-exposing. Must have been the pre-flash. It supports Canon TTL but not E-TTL. Uh oh. I connected the flash to a pc-cord - hot shoe adaptor (ie fires the flash only, no TTL connections). Ah, that's better. Shoot in manual. Alternatively can just tape over the four extra connections on the flash shoe, and just use the main connector.

Here's the setup, and the extension tubes:

DSCN3320.JPG

DSCN3321.JPG

The best thing is that even though the focus field is very narrow, you can focus simply by zooming in and out! You need to adjust the aperture to compensate for the different distances, though, but it's fairly simple. < 100 mm f11. 100-200 mm f8. 200 mm onwards f5.6.

Some samples in the Macro section.

Looks like a good buy for the Macro Flash, hmmm....i can see Megaweb and Ziploc rushing down to get it on Monday ;p

Looks like a good buy for the Macro Flash, hmmm....i can see Megaweb and Ziploc rushing down to get it on Monday ;p

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

The ring flash has 52mm filter size, but comes with adaptors for 49mm, 55mm and 58mm (which I am using). That's why I can't use it with my 28-135 IS USM or 70-200 f2.8!

BTW the extension rings work great with the 28-135 IS USM, using available light. The IS is especially helpful. USM just moves in and out. Must focus manually.

The ring flash has 52mm filter size, but comes with adaptors for 49mm, 55mm and 58mm (which I am using). That's why I can't use it with my 28-135 IS USM or 70-200 f2.8!

BTW the extension rings work great with the 28-135 IS USM, using available light. The IS is especially helpful. USM just moves in and out. Must focus manually.

is there any manual settings for the ring flash ???

Unfortunately not. It's dedicated TTL, but as I said you can disable the TTL and have it go full power all the time, and set exposure manually.

I orginally wanted to get the Vivitar 5000 (see this link )
vivitarmacro1.jpg

but Fotoguide did not have it. The Peninsula Shopping Complex guy quoted me $170 for this ("special Sunday price, we're closing at 5 pm" etc etc) so you have an idea. It had an Auto / Manual switch (switching to Manual hides the thyristor) but no TTL. And you need a PC-cord to trigger it off.

hmm..suntax...isn't the brand name sound familiar? they produce good and cheap flash....

back to topic...there are so many different size for extension tube (13, 21, 31), what are the different? Let's say on a 50mm/f1.8, which already have a closest focus distance of 45cm, how much closer can i get with the above extension tubes and how many times can the image be magnified??

using extension tube is better than using close up lens like Canon 250D right? both of them were being used for the same purposes?

There's a formula, but nothing beats trial and error.

With the 50mm you can get very close. Too close, actually, such that the ring flash is too near or even protrudes beyond the subject.

With the 75-300mm the working distances are much better. You can get to within one inch at 75mm, and about 2 feet with 300mm.

The downside of extension tubes is that your focusing range becomes very narrow. In fact I never use the focusing ring. What I do is either set the zoom at desired range and move the camera closer or further to the subject until it's in focus, or just choose a comfortable distance between the camera and subject, and zoom in or out to get the subject in focus! Works very well. The magnification varies a little bit with the zoom (greater at 75mm, less at 300mm) but not very significantly, maybe about 1.5X difference(?).

So far I've used all 65mm available to me, and not tried with individual extension rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.