Kenko DG Auto Extension Tube Set for the Nikon AF Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tantalize

Mar 18, 2009
Kembangan
Does any of you use this Kenko DG auto extension tube set for macro shots? I intend to get one of this rather to buy a macro lens, which cost me another camera body.

You can check this out here

If any of you use this, can you comment on this? Just to make sure I do not buy anything un-necessary :) Thanks guys.

Works fine for me. metering and all , ( even AF but not necessary ). I have even stacked two sets of 3 together before. Just make sure u know the tradeoffs between an extension tube/s vs a dedicated macro lens.

Otherwise they are hollow out tubes with electonic contacts, will not be too different from other hollow out tubes.

Ryan

So I take it you are satisfied with it. May I know what are the trade off between a dedicated macro lens and the extention tube? Will the magnification be 1:1?

Hi tantalize, the magnification is dependent on the lens itself, focal length, and the length of the extension u r using. In general a 50mm lens will gain more magnification than a 300mm lens for a 50mm worth of extension. Using a series if extension tubes can end up with a bulkier setup ( depending on how many u add ), with decrease in light entering the sensor, and a shorter working distance.

You can gain beyond 1:1 with sufficient extension.

As for a dedicated macro lens, they typically reproduce 1:1 ratio ( or in some instance 1:2 )without the need for other accessories, and the working distance is longer than a normal lens with longer extensions. IQ of a dedicated micro / macro lens is better.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the explaination. Hmm guess I will need to wait for another couple of months to save up for a dedicated macro lens :( Just burned a big hole in my pocket.

At first when I saw this extention tube, I thought that it will give me a close to effect like macro lens. My hobby is in macro, and hence do not wish myself spending more than I should :)

Btw, I have a macro mode in my camera, however I see no difference in the image captured. Not too sure if it will only work with a macro lens? Sorry if I asked too many questions :D

-Lloyd-

i don't have the set but i do have one kenko 25mm extension tube that i love a lot ;p

Here's a shot i took with my Sigma 70-200 attached with a 25mm ext tube:

3377995305_6794ef53e3_b.jpg

not 1:1 magnification...but good enough for large subjects.

There's some really good information in the macro section. Here's a link to one of the FAQ's.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261356

I'm using extension tubes now and plan to get a dedicated macro in the future. Right now, they suit my needs. Another common alternative are close-up filters.

holy mama.........

how did u get this close ... super shot with extension tubings :kiss:

i don't have the set but i do have one kenko 25mm extension tube that i love a lot ;p

3377995305_6794ef53e3_b.jpg

not 1:1 magnification...but good enough for large subjects.

Hey Daedalus Trent, that's a very good shot. Hmm there aren't as soft as I thought it would be. Btw I have a close up filter for my canon G9, is there any converter that I can put this to my D90? Just a food for thought.

Maybe I can buy the Kenko to play around for couple of months before really putting my foot down and get a macro lens. Where do you get the tube and how much you pay for the extention tube?

Another thought of it, a close up filter might be better than tube? What you guys think?

-Lloyd-

Immediate trade-off is that close up filters give you a bit of loss in IQ versus the extension tubes. Extension tubes will cut some light and be more bulkier if say you stack 3 together.

Picked up my extension tubes through one of the Mass Sales here in the marketplace section.

I think I prefer the extension tubes. You lose some speed in terms of F stops with them but you can get high magnification with more tubes added. Close up lens or diopters can cause loss of image quality. I have them and also the Raynox but I still prefer the extension tubes.

For this reason alone, I prefer extension tubes. If you read John Shaw's book about Close up photography, you will see that he usually uses only prime lenses with extension tubes. I have been doing the same and the results are great. I have a Nikkor 200mm and 85mm primes which I use for macro in conjunction with extension tubes. A friend uses a 135mm prime with extension tubes and he likes the results too. Even a 55mm micro Nikkor with extension tubes is great.

Macro lenses are fine but expensive. But really, extension tubes are a cheaper option. Plus close up filters mean that you will need to get lenses of a similar size (Raynox excepted) or close up filters of different sizes for different lenses. With the extension tube you can use on any lens as long as they are of the same mount (which is more likely).

holy mama.........

how did u get this close ... super shot with extension tubings

Thanks! :) I wasn't that close actually, around 20-30cm away. If you're good you can get a lot closer! ;p

Hey Daedalus Trent, that's a very good shot. Hmm there aren't as soft as I thought it would be. Btw I have a close up filter for my canon G9, is there any converter that I can put this to my D90? Just a food for thought.

Maybe I can buy the Kenko to play around for couple of months before really putting my foot down and get a macro lens. Where do you get the tube and how much you pay for the extention tube?

Not sure about that :sweat:

As for my ext. tubes, I got mine 2nd-hand for $75 i think. Great value-for-money since i can now use my 70-200 as a pretty darn effective close-up lens

In addition, I use it on my macro lens to boost it's magnification! Here's a shot i took with a 105mm macro and my 25mm ext. tube :)
3297553366_3ca14248a7_b.jpg

Sorry TS, I OT a bit.

Hi Daedalus Trent,
Your this shot (dragonfly) with Sigma 70-200 impress me (The colour & sharpness). Thought of getting this lens also.
Any regret purchasing this copy compare to Nikon 80-200mm?

Sorry if OT.
wondering can this Kenko extension tube work with both Nikon AF-D & AF-S lens?

was a bit confuse by the statement on these sites.
http://www.adorama.com/KNAETSDNKAF.html
http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-04.html

one said. cant work on AF-S while the other said all metering & AF work on both... @_@

Other then the above question, I would like to ask if AF can work on a motorless D60 too? of course using a AF-S lens.. Anyone knows?
Or is there any extension tubes that can work with a D60? or do i have to satisfy myself with MF all the way? ( couldnt afford a 105mm AF-S macro at the moment :()

Hi all, I'm really keen to try out Macro shoot but got a limited budget lor :p... Want to check whether this kenko entension tube work with Tamron 17-50mm + Nikon D90?

Appreciate if anyone can share out the result of this combination...

Thanks a million ... ^^

Hi all, I'm really keen to try out Macro shoot but got a limited budget lor :p... Want to check whether this kenko entension tube work with Tamron 17-50mm + Nikon D90?

Appreciate if anyone can share out the result of this combination...

Thanks a million ... ^^

Yea, it'll work all right, if that's what you wanna know :)

Of course, you'll have to be real close to your subject since it won't focus on anything further than a few inches away from the lens :sweat:

Daedalus Trent, thanks for the quick reply ^^. This means a bit challenge on shooting insect photo lor... haha...

Can anyone here with (Tamron 17-50mm + kenko entension tube) share some photos please... Aligato ... ^^

Cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.