Kenko AF Extension Tube for NIKON

newzealandhike

Mar 8, 2011
Hello there,

I'm a newbie who just got a Nikon D3100 + 55-200mm lens. However, I find the 55-200mm lens quite useless as it cant reach far enough to shoot birds or anything, neither can it be used to take close-ups. I've decided to get a Kenko AF Extension tube set so as to take macro shots with it. Does anyone know where I can get it in Singapore, and what the price may be?

Thanks! :)

I would suggest the 70-300vr or the sigma 150-500mm if you are interested in bird photography. Not sure how good extension tubes will be, as they cause decrease in light.

TS the 55-200 is not useless. It is actually very useful. And for the price, a very good deal. I think you may be expecting too much out of a 200mm telezoom.

If you want to do birding, you need at least 400mm (and most of the time, a lot longer). A compromise some people do is to get the 70-200VR2 and attach the teleconverter TC-20E III to it. The 70-200VR runs $3+k and the TC-20E III cost around $700+. The TC-20EIII will still cause some image degradation but you stay very versatile and it is considered cheap compared to some 400mm or longer lenses. Every time you connect a teleconvertor or extension tube, you will lose light. This will force you to go to a longer shutter speed or higher ISO. Which in most cases, you cannot afford to. So you need to consider that too. And once you go long glass you will need a very strong tripod system ($$$) and you will need a gimbal head ($$$$).

So you need to consider your budget and your interests.

Last edited:
Since you have a D3100 and a 55-200, I assume you are on a tight budget, and birding is just not possible with that. For macro, extension tubes/diopters can work, but bear in mind that there are also downsides to these things, and they will never work as good as a macro lens.

Diopters and extension tubes get you the magnification you need, but you will have a very short working distance, and so cannot be used for all types of macro photography. You can definitely get macro shots of some types of insects that don't move around a lot if you use extension tubes, but for the insects that fly around a lot, you'll have a very hard time trying to focus on the insects.

Also, you mentioned you wanted an AF extension tube, I think it is not necessary as your camera would most probably struggle to AF at that kind of working distance, so don't even bother, unless your subject is static.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. You've given more than I needed.

Anyway, I've decided not to do birding as its too costly for me (I'm just 16!!!). That was why I was thinking of getting an extension tube for my camera so as to do some basic macro photography. Macro lenses are too expensive for me too.

But with what you've said, about losing light when using extension tubes, and being unable to focus etc, I've taken into consideration these facts. However, if I am to get a fairly good extension tube for a fairly good price, I guess I'll decide to have it.

Once again Thanks!

im not sure about extension tube.. but im using diopter +4.. its work well.... i 've read a few threads saying that if u use extension tube.. ur lens must have aperture ring? (correct me if im wrong)... e.g prime lens..??

im not sure about extension tube.. but im using diopter +4.. its work well.... i 've read a few threads saying that if u use extension tube.. ur lens must have aperture ring? (correct me if im wrong)... e.g prime lens..??

Hmmm diopter +4? How much does it cost anyway?

Nah, I dont think you need a prime lens to use extension tubes, many of my friends use them with their normal 18-55mm lens.

i bought hoya dioter +4 for $39... i read quite a few that they used kit lens with extension tube can't b focus... but i nvr try though...

i bought hoya diopter +4 for $39... i read quite a few that they used kit lens with extension tube can't b focus... but i nvr try though...

i bought hoya diopter +4 for $39... i read quite a few that they used kit lens with extension tube can't b focus... but i nvr try though...

$39!?!?! That's cheap. Hey, if its good enough, I may want to just get one of those. Do you have any macro photos taken with it? If you dont mind can you display some here? Thanks.