Kenko 2x teleconverter on 70-200mm f4L IS lens (pics inside)

rhino123

Sep 1, 2006
NA
Today I tried to take some photos with my 70-200mm f4L lens mated with my Kenko 2x teleconverter (sure, it loses autofocus) the result is soft and really not as sharp as I would have right.

Do you guys think it is normal, or was it my techniques that was wrong. All shots are handheld by the way.

1)
Test%20with%20my%20x2%20teleconverter%20%286%29.jpg

Shutter speed: 1/350
Aperture: f8
ISO: 800

2)
Test%20with%20my%20x2%20teleconverter%20%2821%29.jpg

Shutter speed: 1/250
Aperture: f8
ISO 800

For the noise... I believe it might be because I have set the ISO too high... but that is the only why I can prevent underexposed shots as it is not that bright and I cannot set my aperture any higher than f8 (f5.6 would be nice).

Hope for your help in this.

like you mentioned you did it handheld, it's not sufficient to pin the blame on the equipment. esp with a tele converter, with shutter speed of 1/250 might not be sufficient. besides, you ISO 800 might affect the sharpness too...

i will suggest that you do extensive testing. go out on a bright day, with your gear, and most importantly tripod and wired shutter trigger. set it up, focus on a stationary subject. then tk shots of it, and review those shots on a com...

if by then it's still soft, then most likely is the equipment fault!

Could easily be shutter speed. Use a tripod and actually test it out under a controlled environments.

Ya. That's why i sold it out cheap. not sure how the original performed.

In general, 2x teleconverters are CRUD and you lose a lot of sharpness. The 1.4x ones still do ok though.