kena bbb poison but not progressing

blackwire

Feb 21, 2011
Hi people,

i have kena BBB poisoning but my skills is not improving. Pls kindly advise on how i can proceed on and up my skill.

it started when my gf wanna start up a blogshop and want to take studio shoot. The studio will need a DSLR camera horseshoe to activated the flash, not very sure whether to get a 600D or 7D. Shop advise to get 600D as it serve my purpose. So get a 600D with a 50mm f1.8 a month back and that's where the poisoning starts.

i read up the forum and get to understand the ISO, Aperture and Shutter and have been playing around with manual setting.

I also do understand that Canon lens are good especially those L lens and that their resale values does not drop much, hence, i went into buying and buying.

Here's what i acquire for the one month:

600D
50mm f1.8
18-55 from my frenz
Aipo Dry Cabinet
24-105
17-55
70-200
580EXII
10-22
7D
Gitzo Cremaillere 3 without the tripod head(dun noe which tripodhead to get for the tripod)

I went for the basic studio lighting course and did some reading to understand the shutter, aperture and ISO but i dun really know how to further improve my skills.

Pls kindly advise what should my steps be now and what i should do.

**Do note that i create this post to ask for advise, pls do not flame me.**

I think you should buy a 5DII. The weak link is in your 600D. But you then need to sell the 17-55mm and 10-22mm and 600D and get the 16-35mm.

It seems to me you have happily piled up a lot of equipment just for the sake of having it - but without a photographic purpose. Skills develop along the way of practicing. Do you really think that after 1 month reading, snapping and one studio light session you have developed any skills? I doubt you even know how to operate the basic functions of your camera properly. Skills are knowledge and experience. The latter one undoubtedly needs time.
So instead of drooling over next bodies, blabbering about supposedly better lenses and stuff you should downsize (1 body, one lens) and just take stunning pictures. If your pictures aren't stunning then no equipment will help. Think about stunning pictures taken 30 years ago. They didn't had L lenses, but they delivered stunning pics. So it can't be the secret of the L lenses, right?
You could attend a basic photography course (objectifs) and learn to see, learn about composition. Think about why you want to take pictures, what exactly makes you taking this picture etc ..
The answer to your problem does not sit in the gear... it's the opposite direction.

Last edited:
That's quite a severe case of poisoning in 1 month.....I read this somewhere on how to progress further...

1) Read More
Learn about the basics first. (From composition, lighting, DOF etc).

2) Shoot more
After reading abt it, go shoot more based on your own readings

3) Review More
Review your own photos. Review not only your photos, but photos by others as well. When you see a nice shot taken by others, take a step back and analyze that photo and ask, why do you think this photo is nice, then compare to your own photo and from there try to identify your own mistakes/shortcomings. If you still can't find out why, try posting the photo in the critiques section

4) Cycle repeats

TS, since you have already acquired the gear....

Assuming you are not that tight for cash, I suppose you don't have an urgent need to sell any of your gear.
You should now focus on making the best use of it, rather than having the thought that adding 'just that one more lens/accessory' will improve your photos.

if you are interested in studio photography, why not spend a bit more time and money to either:
1) Go for more classes in studio photography
2) Rent a studio and shoot

Option #2 might not be such a great idea if you still don't understand the basics.

Best way to improve is to practise the skills you learn on the internet. Read up more from the internet (Google is your best friend), and then practise what you learn with the equipment you have.

Woah, that's serious poisoning! First thing I'd do if I were you is to cancel the credit cards! Don't buy any more stuff. You have plenty already....just take some time to enjoy the process. Don't expect immediate results, just shoot what you like best and be good at it.

I'm not sure if you want to take any more courses but if you're keen, I am conducting a workshop starting next week. PM/email me for more details.

i have kena BBB poisoning but my skills is not improving. Pls kindly advise on how i can proceed on and up my skill.

Stop buying. BBB does not mean better skill. Better lenses, better gear, does not mean more skill. You can have the very best camera out there, but it will NOT help your skill. I do not know where you got this mentality that buying more gear = gaining skill. Maybe gaining credit card bills, yes.

it started when my gf wanna start up a blogshop and want to take studio shoot. The studio will need a DSLR camera horseshoe to activated the flash, not very sure whether to get a 600D or 7D. Shop advise to get 600D as it serve my purpose. So get a 600D with a 50mm f1.8 a month back and that's where the poisoning starts.

You mean hotshoe, not horseshoe. Get the terms right. And the shop was right, a 600D is already more than you need for a simple blog shop.

I also do understand that Canon lens are good especially those L lens and that their resale values does not drop much, hence, i went into buying and buying.

Not all are good, and if resale value is that important to you, it shows your priorities are all wrong.

Here's what i acquire for the one month:

600D
50mm f1.8
18-55 from my frenz
Aipo Dry Cabinet
24-105
17-55
70-200
580EXII
10-22
7D
Gitzo Cremaillere 3 without the tripod head(dun noe which tripodhead to get for the tripod)

Why the heck did you get a 7D???

I went for the basic studio lighting course and did some reading to understand the shutter, aperture and ISO but i dun really know how to further improve my skills.

It's called practice. some of us have been shooting for over 20 years and will still not say we are "masters". We are always learning. Don't expect a course to spoon-feed you all the knowledge and skills - they can only give you the basics, everything else comes with practice.

to me, you are a classic example of the youth of today - seeking immediate gratification, instant knowledge, think reading a book is enough, and by throwing more $$$ at something you'll instantly get "skills".

This is a very wrong mindset. Building up photography skills can take many many months and years, even a lifetime. More $$$ will not help, you should have just stuck to a 600d with kit lens and mastered that first! The only way to help yourself is to stop buying, you cannot buy skills. Go out and practice. a lot. Shoot anything - people on the streets, animals, landscape, kids playing, etc. Soon you will realize what works and what doesn't.

for studio shoots, practice practice practice!!

blackwire said:

Next step is to keep shooting and shooting and shooting, and try to apply all you have read.

Also read up on composition.

Btw, no matter how good the equipment, once it is 2nd hand, price will drop 15-20%

Btw, ok mah your equipment. Not as scary as some people I've seen. LOL.

Last edited:
^^ :devil:

You are encourage to read more online, and join some newbie outings under the Outings subforum.

Good start here:

Camera basics - Commonly Asked Qns Like what is ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture etc
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Video Clips posted by ed9119

Composition
http://www.amateursnapper.com/photog...position-rules
http://digital-photography-school.co...mposition-tips
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-more-quick-composition-tips-illustrated

Landscape Photography
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/11-surefire-tips-for-improving-your-landscape-photography

Street Photography
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/10-tips-for-the-aspiring-street-photographer

More topics covered here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/learning-exposure-in-digital-photography
Understanding Stops and Exposure
Hyperfocal Distance Table Generator
Landscape & Hyperfocus

=================================================
Buying Guides for Newbie

=================================================
Singapore Camera equipment price guides:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

Newbie guide to buying lenses:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/lens_buying_guide_01.htm

Newbie guide to buying DSLR:
http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Guides/dslr_buying_guide_01.htm

why not quit this hobby and sell me cheap cheap?

haha

Remember, the only way to improve your skill is keep shooting.

I remember I read somewhere that "the first 10 000 shoot is the worse shoot in the lifetime."

Google around, play with the Triangle Photography, join some photographer group outing, for sure, your skill will improve.

But the most important element is keep shooting. :)

haha

I remember I read somewhere that "the first 10 000 shoot is the worse shoot in the lifetime."

Google around, play with the Triangle Photography, join some photographer group outing, for sure, your skill will improve.

I'm sure your BBB skill will improve too :bsmilie:

i think u need a hassleblad.

I think you should buy a 5DII. The weak link is in your 600D. But you then need to sell the 17-55mm and 10-22mm and 600D and get the 16-35mm.

The weak link is his skills and knowledge (lack of), 600D is already very capable of delivering good images. 5D II + no skills = weaker link.

To me sell your 24-105 and 7D if your focus is on product shoots. The tilt screen of 600D might come in handy. If you don't need the tilt screen then sell 600D instead for you never know when you will venture into action photography and 7D comes in handy.

interesting >> **Do note that i create this post to ask for advise, pls do not flame me.**
I think this should be used in every newbies signature. No offence.

@TS join the free gathering events found in Gatherings and Outings thread. Speak to your fellow mates and mentors, I think you will find the trip rewarding. Do not be eager to MASTER photography, build up your fundation instead. MOst people takes years to do it(hopefully your interest is still there).

The weak link is his skills and knowledge (lack of), 600D is already very capable of delivering good images. 5D II + no skills = weaker link.

To me sell your 24-105 and 7D if your focus is on product shoots. The tilt screen of 600D might come in handy. If you don't need the tilt screen then sell 600D instead for you never know when you will venture into action photography and 7D comes in handy.

Haha it was sarcasm, do not need to explain the weak link part bro :bsmilie:

haha

Just curious what this Triangle Photography is...

the photography skills has noting related to how much gear or how advance the gear you have or own.

any suggestions of getting better camera, lens or equipment will make you sink even deeper in the mud.

the only way to improve is to spend time on every basic aspect of photography, understand, absorb, and apply each of them on every picture you took.
be the worst critic on your own photos, be very objective, delete as much as you can. delete all if there is noting worth to keep.
shoot with minimum gear, shoot the same subject over and over, till you can't find any other better way to shoot it. this will keep you in focus and stretch your creativity to the max.

there is no short cut, if you spend 10000 hours on any subject, you will be a master of that subject. just look at all great musician, they spend countless hours on practicing just to perfect one piece of music.