Ken the Rock!

nikoneer

Jun 10, 2011
Hi,

Is KenRockwell has been discussed in this thread before? If so, then probably I am too late (mods.. delete this...).

Anyway!

See, I am waiting for my shift ends this evening, to do that I want to have fun, and fun that would be knowing what you guys think about him....

I've been reading his reviews ever since I started photography, I find nothing wrong with him, I see him as an expert! However, when you search more about him, you will find some people disagrees because he contradicts as a photographer. Some thinks he is paid by Nikon, others think he is a massive Naykon Fanboi.

So! Tell me yours...

Last edited:
He is no expert. He is a joke, and reviews cameras based on their specs, without ever touching them. He claims nobody will ever need a camera better than the d5000 but when the competition releases a better camera, he will compare it to the d800 and d4.

Nothing wrong with that.....he earns living from his website....and he is not shy to ask for you to donate....so what else can you ask for?

I never really read every single word of his reviews. Just the important ones. The charts are pretty informative.

He is the best person from introduce some older lenses what I can need him to help.

He is nothing wrong with their single word..
What he can presents and just google from him.

Cause he is rich..like no tomorrow.

Any latest products and release and waiting his reviews version to be update my info.

Last edited:
He is no expert. He is a joke, and reviews cameras based on their specs, without ever touching them. He claims nobody will ever need a camera better than the d5000 but when the competition releases a better camera, he will compare it to the d800 and d4.

hahahahahahahah! Haven't read his reviews about D5000. I've been following him but only for the lenses not cameras. Now that you have said that, I will read his reviews about old cameras.

He is the best person from introduce some older lenses what I can need him to help.

He is nothing wrong with their single word..
What he can presents and just google from him.

Cause he is rich..like no tomorrow.

Any latest products and release and waiting his reviews version to be update my info.

information is all that matters....

Last edited:
You'll see that a lot of this Lenses are "the best" and " the sharpest"

Nothing wrong with the guy.... in fact, he writes very well in a way that is easy to digest and is darned hilarious and funny at times .

I usually discount 50% the reviews he put together....... he's used one superlative too many and as a result sometimes ends up with his foot in his mouth when newer technology, equipment or developments come along later.

I'd rather you guys spend more time understanding story-telling through images and what goes on inside the minds of photographers on the ground at the Singapore International Photography Festival 2012 this month through November

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/1162505-singapore-international-photography-festival-2012-happening-october-november.html

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the guy.... in fact, he writes very well in a way that is easy to digest and is darned hilarious and funny at times .

I usually discount 50% the reviews he put together....... he's used one superlative too many and as a result sometimes ends up with his foot in his mouth when newer technology, equipment or developments come along later.

I'd rather you guys spend more time understanding story-telling through images and what goes on inside the minds of photographers on the ground at the Singapore International Photography Festival 2012 this month through November

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/1162505-singapore-international-photography-festival-2012-happening-october-november.html

Niiiiiice plug! ;)

I like Ken Rockwell...especially his "your camera doesn't matter" essay.

Just one question....which camera does Ken Rockwell consider to be the *best* DSLR?

*Hint*....he mentions a few. :)

Last edited:
zaren said:
I like Ken Rockwell...especially his "your camera doesn't matter" essay.

Just one question....which camera does Ken Rockwell consider to be the *best* DSLR?

*Hint*....he mentions a few. :)

Lenses also. A lot of best and sharpest lenses

Read for entertainment if you like.
He made it clear he does it for a living and needs your support.
We understand commercial considerations overrule objective analysis.

Camera and lens brands are good enough nowadays for any reviewer to be able to slant the review one way or another.
If he wants to say something is the best, he can find good things to say about it.

So whoever pays the piper (more) calls the tune.

Last edited:
I visit Ken Rockwell's site only for the nice pictures of lenses and camera bodies, alongside it being a one-stop for technical specifications. Beyond that, if you believed what he said, you'd be using the D40 and SB400 and thinking that's all you would ever need to grow in the hobby.

Try Kirk Tuck, Steve Huff, Robin Wong, Ming Thien, Online Photographer or Luminous Landscape, there are others.
At least they are opinionated, but frank about gear they go over.
The best thing is when they talk about photography in general rather than the gear itself.

Ken Rockwell, writes well in a easy to understand manner, but his reviews are rubbish, biased and often contradictory.
His stuff regarding 'basics' are quite ok, but there will always be that 'boisterous claim' every now and then.
Pick up what you will from his site.

I read his articles as it is entertaining. But to buy or not consider a lens bcoz of his review is not something which I'd do. For serious review I will go back to photo zone.

His site is pretty good for getting technical specs since he lists down everything but I've seen too many "best lens", "best camera" and "that's all you need" on the site to trust the reviews :bsmilie: