Ken Rockwell's Why Your Camera Does Not Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jherek

Sep 7, 2002
east
Visit site
Buying newer cameras will ensure you get the same results you always have. Education is the way to better images, not more cameras.

Don't presume the most expensive gear is the best. Having too much camera equipment is the best way to get the worst photos.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

I rarely post such stuff here but i came across this while surfing the net out of boredom..

Good reminder that its we ourselves that matter, so for all those who "Buy buy buy"..
this article will probaby save u some money. ;)

no offence but i have to disagree flat. :)

having better equipment really makes u shoot better :cool:

this is based on my experiences. yours may vary.
cheers

To paraphrase someone else on the World Wide Web.

I find Ken Rockwell's site to be a valuable resource.

Whatever he says, I do the opposite.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

To be fair to him, he does make interesting insights into certain aspects of photography, but u will have to take it with a generous pinch of salt...

ANyway.....

I personally went to one of his biweekly photography club meetings while i was in states and really saw with my own eyes ..... photos taken by him and his club members. Very good and nice. At least i've seen those on the web from his work and see them live so have my own experiences to say that what he's a good photographer - and a teacher too.

He organises travel photography trips - he's based in San Diego.

rgds,
sulhan

Jed said:
To paraphrase someone else on the World Wide Web.

I find Ken Rockwell's site to be a valuable resource.

Whatever he says, I do the opposite.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Ahh the dreaded "Yellow Pages" of Ken Rockwell (censored) extrodinaire... Believe his reviews at your own peril.

clive said:
no offence but i have to disagree flat. :)

having better equipment really makes u shoot better :cool:

this is based on my experiences. yours may vary.
cheers
If you are good to begin with, good equipment make you a better photographer. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

Regards
CK

Camera does not matter?

Does that mean I can buy those cheapo digital camera with fixed lens with no shutter priority controls and still able to take good pictures at night with a tripod?

I still believe the camera is still an important factor in photography.

ken rockwell garang-ness maximus :bsmilie:

but i salute him for being able to find time to do proper testing n all that which 99 out of 100 times i cant be bothered to do so :thumbsup:

I think what he trying to mean is that: -
even if a 'bua-kan' driver drive a McLaren sportcar he can't even complete with a Proto Saga...
And most prob. he is too sick to see so many photographers took so much attention to their gears rather than photography.

Nikonian Foo said:
I think he is always trying to stress that creativity is more important that equipment...isn't it?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: i agree with u ... i always believe a good camera doesn't mean u can shoot good picture ... but it does give u the flexibilty and options to play with so u can explore your limit of creativity. A lousy point and shoot camera maybe doesn't let u take good night shots, but maybe u can play with composition and produce good nice shots for the day ?

yaoxing said:
Camera does not matter?

Does that mean I can buy those cheapo digital camera with fixed lens with no shutter priority controls and still able to take good pictures at night with a tripod?

I still believe the camera is still an important factor in photography.

<QUOTE STARTS>
The advantage of modern equipment is convenience, NOT image quality. Go look at the B/W images in my Death Valley Gallery. Look sharp to you? They were made on a 50 year old fixed-focus, fixed exposure box camera for which I paid $3. This camera is more primitive than today's disposables.
<QUOTE ENDS>

:sweat: altho in general i agree with him ... but i do believe modern equipment improves picture quality ... the advance technology of lens etc ...

Status
Not open for further replies.