Ken Rockwell's recommendation

daniellcs

May 2, 2009
Something's been puzzling me a little and I hope members can shed some light on this matter.
Ken Rockwell recommends a D7000 with a 35mm 1.8G AF-S DX.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Is there a reason why he chooses G lenses for a D7000 although it already has an integrated auto-focus motor?
Compared for a 35mm 1.8D for example, does a G lens make focusing faster of the image sharper?
Just asking... Thanks.

There was never a 35mm f1.8D, but there was an older 35mm f2.0D. There was a review of both the 1.8G and 2.0D somewhere in this subforum, and I vaguely remember the G lens being optically better, although I might be wrong.

G lens just means there is no aperture ring. It has nothing to do with optical quality.

Something's been puzzling me a little and I hope members can shed some light on this matter.

Is there a reason why he chooses G lenses for a D7000 although it already has an integrated auto-focus motor?
Compared for a 35mm 1.8D for example, does a G lens make focusing faster of the image sharper?
Just asking... Thanks.

i wouldnt trust ken rockwell completely if i were u n take his comments with a pinch of salt. to him, this combo may be the ideal combo, but to u, it may not be, as preferences vary from individual to individual

Just asking... Thanks.

There are only three 35mm lenses currently available from Nikon now.

35/1.8G - cost around $330, great for DX, sharp contrasty.
35/2D - cost around $500, FX lens, but not as sharp or contrasty as the 1.8 and max aperture is not as large as 1.8.
35/1.4G - Cost over $2k. FX lens, very very good but price also reflects that.

So in the end, for a DX cam like D7000, the 35/1.8 is cheap and good.

And why 35mm for D7k? because on D7k it gives FOV similar to 56mm lens on a FF cam. This makes it close to a normal lens (view of human eye). And a normal lens is used a lot by photographers from old days till now.

BTW some of KRW's advice you have to take it with a pinch of salt. ;)

Last edited:
Ken Rockwell is so FOS that it's not even funny. I started out reading his stuff and quickly noticed that his comments are inconsistent. He praises the 14-24 like there's no tomorrow, swearing that there's nothing better out there, then goes on to criticize it in his 17-35 review. His 'reviews' are there to generate money when people fall into his gimmick of believing that the lens he's reviewing is sooo good, and they buy it from an online retailer he has an affiliate account with.

well after using 35mm 1.8 for 6mth i agree it can glue to ur camera u wont be needing any other lens for awhile but once u get glued u get other BBvirus coming like wide angles shots and nice bokeh close up shots that y u need more lens haha

advantages to having a 35mm to a normal kit lens
Light,F1.8,able to train ur photography skill.
disadvantages
not flexible, no Vr(although lower Fnumber can counter this)

Just asking... Thanks.

D and G designations are different from AF and AF-S, although it's easy to confuse the two since most modern lenses are AF-S and G (e.g. AF-S 35mm f1.8G).

for auto-focus:
AF lens = no built-in motor inside the lens, AF must be driven by cam body (D90, D7000, D300/s, D700, D3/s)
AF-S lens = built-in motor, can be used with all Nikon DSLR's

aperture ring:
D = has an aperture ring, aperture is selected by manually turning the ring on the lens
G = no aperture ring, aperture is selected by turning knobs/dials in the camera body

side note: D designation means "Distance Information" to tell the camera what distance at which the lens is focused. all G-lenses, therefore, are technically still D-lenses but without the aperture ring. AF speed and sharpness may be less in D-lenses compared to G-lenses, but that's because of the mechanics inside the lens (D-lenses are usually of older tech than G) and not from the "D" designation itself.

D and G is not the same as AF or AF-S, SWM, ...

On top of that, the optics, elements are different, so the characteristics of the lens will also be different i.e. contrast, sharpness, .... even if the focal length is the same.

On DX, 35mm is roughly 50mm on full frame which is the field of view our eyes normally see. Hence it is a good pairing.

Lastly, recommendations from anyone are at best recommendations. People make choices can be based on a variety of reasons (head) or emotions (heart) or whatever... So listen to them, understand where they are coming from and decide for yourself if it is valid or suitable in your situation.

KRW... hmm... take his comments with a bag of salt. i think someone in CS once said (and i agree) that he's the only reviewer on the planet who can review things he (a)doesn't own, or (b)hasn't hit the markets yet. :rolleyes:

All the new Nikon camera bodies control the aperture via the body, since Nikon F5 no longer need aperture ring, so all the new design lenses are G lenses now.

Either you embrace new generation G lenses or stick with existing D lenses.

seriously...... just treat these reviews as a reference... different people have different style of shooting... just follow your style and you will save more money... lol

daniellcs said:

Just asking... Thanks.

But there isn't a f1.8D on the market. Would you want to pay more for a slightly slower, less contrasty, and previous generation lens on a DX body?

What I don't like about G lenses is the lack of the aperture ring and some times the focusing distance ring.

I am less anti-Rockwell than many on this forum. He does give sensible recommendations overall even though some of his reviews are not as good.

D and G designations are different from AF and AF-S, although it's easy to confuse the two since most modern lenses are AF-S and G (e.g. AF-S 35mm f1.8G).

for auto-focus:
AF lens = no built-in motor inside the lens, AF must be driven by cam body (D90, D7000, D300/s, D700, D3/s)
AF-S lens = built-in motor, can be used with all Nikon DSLR's

aperture ring:
D = has an aperture ring, aperture is selected by manually turning the ring on the lens
G = no aperture ring, aperture is selected by turning knobs/dials in the camera body

side note: D designation means "Distance Information" to tell the camera what distance at which the lens is focused. all G-lenses, therefore, are technically still D-lenses but without the aperture ring. AF speed and sharpness may be less in D-lenses compared to G-lenses, but that's because of the mechanics inside the lens (D-lenses are usually of older tech than G) and not from the "D" designation itself.
so do the 35/1.8g have a motor inside the lens, if it is mount to d3100 does it mean it cant autofocus?

JinG14 said:
so do the 35/1.8g have a motor inside the lens, if it is mount to d3100 does it mean it cant autofocus?

Yes it can.

Ken Rockwell is so FOS that it's not even funny. I started out reading his stuff and quickly noticed that his comments are inconsistent. He praises the 14-24 like there's no tomorrow, swearing that there's nothing better out there, then goes on to criticize it in his 17-35 review. His 'reviews' are there to generate money when people fall into his gimmick of believing that the lens he's reviewing is sooo good, and they buy it from an online retailer he has an affiliate account with.
He also likes to make sweeping statements like the D5000 is the best camera in the world and "the X100 can do everything the D3s can". Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry

But there isn't a f1.8D on the market. Would you want to pay more for a slightly slower, less contrasty, and previous generation lens on a DX body?

What I don't like about G lenses is the lack of the aperture ring and some times the focusing distance ring.

I am less anti-Rockwell than many on this forum. He does give sensible recommendations overall even though some of his reviews are not as good.

I agree with you uncle Fai, I am usually avoiding G glass, (at least when it comes to $1000 plus zooms) but when its cheap like the 35 1.8 and the 50 1.8 then I don't mind...( I am even considering the 200 f2 plus TX to replace my old 300 f2.8, just because its shorter in length) I have plenty of Manual AIS, and D glass to last a life time any way....And as far as KRW goes, He is not any better or worse than many other folks with an opinion, including myself.....:bsmilie::bsmilie: I am curious though, what so called "review (s)" did he do that are so wrong that many here are so negative toward him for??? :dunno:

Cheers

Last edited:
He also likes to make sweeping statements like the D5000 is the best camera in the world and "the X100 can do everything the D3s can". Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh or cry

KRW said in his 2009 review, "the D5000 is the best Nikon DSLR, if size, weight and price matter", not "the best camera in the world".
and pls point out where in his X100 review that "the X100 can do everything the D3s can". There is no mention of D3s in his X100 review.

Last edited:
KRW... hmm... take his comments with a bag of salt. i think someone in CS once said (and i agree) that he's the only reviewer on the planet who can review things he (a)doesn't own, or (b)hasn't hit the markets yet. :rolleyes:
He "reviews" many things he does not own,,,He says they are items that folks have let him" borrow" etc... Not sure of what gear he has "reviewed" that was not out on the market yet???? Can you point us in that direction??? I'd say again, He is no better or worse than most of the rest of us, opinions included...:bsmilie:

Cheers

How does he earn enough just by giving opinions? Imagine the whole clubsnap doing that! It would be an industry!

How does he earn enough just by giving opinions? Imagine the whole clubsnap doing that! It would be an industry!
Yeah, so go ahead and start your own blog or website....It might be fun..... Advertising can be very profitable now days I guese....

Cheers

Last edited: