Ken Rockwell Review of the Fuji S5 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
It is here.

Enjoy!

KRW nearly trashed the S5 Pro, except that he did say he likes the color of skin tones.

Wow... :eek: I think this camera is not his cup of tea.

the god of photography has spoken...

Fuji executives :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

I like what he said:

Best skin tones I've ever seen (with pink people). ......... A real joker :bsmilie:

The dynamic range example (recovery from overexposed jpg image) is fantastic! I don't know of any other camera that can allow you to do that in jpg mode. Also, the remarkable white balance algorithm.

I don't always agree with him, but what he says about the real resolution of the S5 is of some concern to me (I know that megapixels isn't everything). Here is what he says:

"The Fuji S5 only has the spatial resolution of a 6 Megapixel, not a 12 MP, camera. The Fuji's extra pixels are used for controlling highlights, which make very little visible difference. The S5's largest JPG image size is a interpolated (fake) mode."

His examples do show that the S5 images are barely as detailed as the D40! I find that hard to believe.

His finding also contradicts what most other reviewers have said about the S5's resolution. Many have put it in the 8MP to 10MP range, almost on par with the D200. Some even claim no difference at all, ie., S5 resolution = D200. And they post examples to prove it convincingly too. My question is: You guys think he made a blunder here?

the 12million photodiodes are made up for 6million pairs of "S" and "R" photodiodes. the larger "S" photodiodes are the main ones, while the smaller "R" photodiodes are paired up to better capturing highlights. this is why the super CCD can provide superior noise control, DR, colour, and tones.

but it is only a 6MP output. tough to compare against a 10-12MP outputs... you will loose just by pure numbers, but quality of the fuji 6MP is arguably better!!

True, but remember that the Fuji sensor is not a conventional one -- it is tilted 45 deg relative to usual sensors. I checked back, and this is what an earlier British Journal of Photography review noted about the Fuji S5 resolution:

"Doing the tests revealed maximum resolutions of approximately 56 lp/mm, 36-40 lp/mm and 28 lp/mm. These figures are consistent with the predicted ranges (at the Nyquist end of the scale) and support the notion that the S5's highest resolution corresponds with a genuine 12 million pixels rather than interpolation of a smaller number of pixels."

The lines per mm figures refer to the 12MP, 6Mp and 3 or 4 MP settings in the S5.

This is the first time KRW has tested a Fuji DSLR and I suspect he did not do a careful test and simply brushed off the 12MP setting as a "fake" increase in resolution.

Reading his article only confirms that my choice of the S5Pro over the D200 is right. Maybe I spent too much time with films, all the strong points of the S5Pro are exactly what I want from my camera, while I couldn't care less for 99% of the stuff the D200 is better in.

I agree with Viewpoint's point (no pun intended) on the sensor, too. From my very own and crude eyeball inspections on some pics I took, at 12MPs, there may be some jaggies, but setting the S5 to output 6MPs instead of 12MPs does cause the pics to loose definition, thereby confirming that the S5 is definitely better than the usual 6MP cameras.

I though KRW is rubbish one? He dismissed the high DR feature as for pictures with bad light. I guess all those professional landscape photographers who use grad ND filters are all trying to capture scenes with bad lighting lor....

Since I am also one of the S5 Pro owners, I don't want to sound like I am protecting my purchase. Personally, I do feel that KRW's review has some truth to it.
  • First of all, the writing speed of the S5 Pro is very slow. Even my 5 years old Nikon Coolpix 995 can write faster.
  • Secondly, the disabled menu during writing is kind of annoying to me also especially when I am trying to set up for my next frame.
  • Pressing the button twice to delete a frame is other annoyance.
  • Its LCD is not as vibrant as the one on D200's (they are suppose to be the same)

well for what its worth, krw did highlight the good parts (great skin tones, dynamic range, low noise) and the bad parts (slow, 6mp, menu). but dont we already know that? thats why we got the s5 pro right? its not like we got cheated by fuji or krw right? :bsmilie:

:thumbsup: *** is an honest and upright chap who is a real pro and who is not afraid to view his views, be they weird, funny, unpopular or outright crazy.

no *** bashing here. there're plenty of *** bashing in DPreview and feel free to join the party over there.

True, but remember that the Fuji sensor is not a conventional one -- it is tilted 45 deg relative to usual sensors. I checked back, and this is what an earlier British Journal of Photography review noted about the Fuji S5 resolution:

"Doing the tests revealed maximum resolutions of approximately 56 lp/mm, 36-40 lp/mm and 28 lp/mm. These figures are consistent with the predicted ranges (at the Nyquist end of the scale) and support the notion that the S5's highest resolution corresponds with a genuine 12 million pixels rather than interpolation of a smaller number of pixels."

The lines per mm figures refer to the 12MP, 6Mp and 3 or 4 MP settings in the S5.

This is the first time KRW has tested a Fuji DSLR and I suspect he did not do a careful test and simply brushed off the 12MP setting as a "fake" increase in resolution.

Turn the resolution chart 45 degrees to shoot and you get a better idea. Better still, for a "fair" comparison, turn it 22.5 degrees and see the difference. In real world, things don't arrange themselves for that specific orientation.

although i have read KRW review on S5PRO, yet i still join S5Pro Family..Nice CAM!
Hi to every S5Pro User.

although i have read KRW review on S5PRO, yet i still join S5Pro Family..Nice CAM!
Hi to every S5Pro User.

Yeah, it's a wonderful camera!! Must say we have to take KRW's comments with a large dose of salt. I remember he once slammed the Canon 5D (compared to the D200) simply because the Canon does not have auto ISO mode. Just for that. Now you hear him raving about the amazing resolution and low noise of the 5D -- just like everyone else.

Ken Rockwell who? :angel:

KRW wrote: "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If I was a people photographer, the Fuji S5 would be my favorite camera, but I'm an urban dilapidation photographer who prefers crazy color. I love my Canon 5D mostly because the saturation control...."

I love crazy colors too..... check this out:

Clark_Quay-1.jpg

My S5 Pro does produce 'crazy colors'. Best of all, I don't even have to touch the saturation control.
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.