kelong

Status
Not open for further replies.

furrypaws

Feb 20, 2004
kelongbg01.jpg

hi folks,

would like to receive some feedbacks on the pic above.
its taken with my phone camera (samsung E530C), so pls pardon the picture quality.
would like to know more in terms of the composition.

i know about the rules of third and such, but whilst framing, i kinda thought this looked best although it splits the picture into half almost exactly. following the rule of thirds, should i hv given it more sky? but i thought that would compromise on the length of the walkway, thus losing the depth impression i'm trying to achieve here. if i give it more walkway? then the sky would look really flat cuz there werent any clouds there at that time... so i really dont know.

comments pls?

You captured a good feel in this image. Its a good picture. :thumbsup:

1. Walkway dominates pic, not kelong.-- is that your intention?

2. Kelong is dead centre-- if you want to follow rule of thirds, that is not where you should place the kelong.

3. Light is flat and boring.

furrypaws said:
kelongbg01.jpg

hi folks,

would like to receive some feedbacks on the pic above.
its taken with my phone camera (samsung E530C), so pls pardon the picture quality.
would like to know more in terms of the composition.

i know about the rules of third and such, but whilst framing, i kinda thought this looked best although it splits the picture into half almost exactly. following the rule of thirds, should i hv given it more sky? but i thought that would compromise on the length of the walkway, thus losing the depth impression i'm trying to achieve here. if i give it more walkway? then the sky would look really flat cuz there werent any clouds there at that time... so i really dont know.

comments pls?

It this a kelong? It looks more like a wooden pier to me.

Yes, the rule of third some time can be broken, but it wouldn't work on this picture, the end of the walkway merge with horizon.

You can try with different height to see the what's the feels, maybe move yourself to the left or right.

Hope this help.

waileong said:
1. Walkway dominates pic, not kelong.-- is that your intention?

2. Kelong is dead centre-- if you want to follow rule of thirds, that is not where you should place the kelong.

3. Light is flat and boring.

1. yes. walkway was the main focus, kelong was jus a random title i gave to my pic cuz thats were i took it

2. then where should i place it?

3. yes, i know its flat and boring, like i said, its taken with my handphone cam, so pls dun expect too much.

catchlights said:
It this a kelong? It looks more like a wooden pier to me.

Yes, the rule of third some time can be broken, but it wouldn't work on this picture, the end of the walkway merge with horizon.

You can try with different height to see the what's the feels, maybe move yourself to the left or right.

Hope this help.

hi catchlights, yes, i did try to move myself around.. but the walkway is really long.. no matter how much i move, it seemed negligble... yeah.. thanks for pointing out that the end of the walkway merged with the horizon... unless i have a ladder, dun think i could hv taken it any different. thanks for the comments!

plastic said:
You captured a good feel in this image. Its a good picture. :thumbsup:

thanks plastic. but i know it still lacks in a lot of ways.. :)

Normally lines are not the focus of a picture, but to lead the viewers' eye to the point of the picture.

Google "rule of thirds" to know how to place objects.

Quality of light has nothing to do with type of camera.

Wai Leong
===
furrypaws said:
1. yes. walkway was the main focus, kelong was jus a random title i gave to my pic cuz thats were i took it

2. then where should i place it?

3. yes, i know its flat and boring, like i said, its taken with my handphone cam, so pls dun expect too much.

Cellphone camera doesnt mean piss-poor quality photos. A good photo is irregardless of the tool. It's how & what the photographer chooses to create with it.

I like it. Because it is a simple photo that actually works. Because you put thought into the photo and didnt just snap the shutter. The grain adds texture & mood to the picture, although its a slightly dark mood but there is a sense of calmness & nostalgia in the pic. Guess the B&W conversion adds to that too because the black jetty stands out from the grey landscape.

Not sure if it's intentional but it's neat that the horizon & far away islands are blur, but the jetty is in focus... how'd that happen?

I felt the horz line should not "touch" the end of the jetty.. having the horz a tad
above or below the roof might render a better perspective. Keep shooting.:)

I actually like this picture. Regarding the rule of the third, in general, it works, but for this picture opportunity, I feel it should be thrown out of the book. Regarding the bridge touching the horizon, I do not see any problem with it. In general, it may not be a good idea, but in this instance, it did give a feeling of the bridge reaching out to infinity, or at least, all across the water to the other side, nothing wrong.

Rules are made to be broken

DP,
Dont think rules are meant to be broken, more like bent. Otherwise we get those 45deg (or more) tilted pictures - just my preference. To add to your post, the rule of thirds isnt everything, it's only a guideline applied since the renaissance period (Leo, Mike, Don & Raph).
What say you...? =)

oh, I thought kelong is in the middle of sea? whereby need boat to go there one?

pardon me! I neverr been to kelong before :embrass:

Paul_Yeo said:
oh, I thought kelong is in the middle of sea? whereby need boat to go there one?

pardon me! I neverr been to kelong before :embrass:

er, dunno leh.. its called the kelong lor.. went there to eat seafood, its in JB.
guess some are really sorta in the sea?? but this one is sorta by the shore.

anyway, thanks for all the comments! :)

but i still dunno if more sky.. or more or the length of the walkway would look better... :think: tis ok.. will keep trying!

Rev said:
DP,
Dont think rules are meant to be broken, more like bent. Otherwise we get those 45deg (or more) tilted pictures - just my preference. To add to your post, the rule of thirds isnt everything, it's only a guideline applied since the renaissance period (Leo, Mike, Don & Raph).
What say you...? =)
I don't have to say anything because the rule of third, although pleasing to the eyes, is being broken, bent, manipulated all the time to create beautiful and memorable images.

Staying within rules is the surest way to kill creativity.

To me the rule of thirds is more like a guide. It's not a hard and fast rule where a picture is considered poor in composition if these "rules" were not followed. Even for portraits the "rule" is often broken, and it's generally accepted that if the intention is to show a full-on face shot, then it's okay not to frame according to the rule of thirds. the face or subject can fill the frame almost to the limits and the picture would still work depending on the lighting and whether or not you can achieve an interesting shot.

For this case i think the only change i would make is to shoot the picture in portrait orientation so that the height of the picture flows with the walkway. a vertically aligned lead-in to me flows more with a vertical orientation. tilting the camera phone to have the walkway and end jetty fill the photo might work too, but overall i think your intention was to show the lead-in to the picture, which i have to say if that was your intention, you certainly got your point across to THIS viewer.

you could also crop the sides to make the picture either a square format, or a vertical panorama if you so wish? :dunno:

Good work IMO. keep shooting.

just two cents from a beginner too.

kelong_edit.jpg

something like this?

i'm aware that the right side of the pic is blown out.. cuz its where the sea was, alot of light coming in.. how could i hv resolve the issue if given a proper cam? some metering techniques?

I like this picture. Unfortunately the right side is overexposed.
If you are using a DSLR / SLR, you can set the exposure compensation lower in Aperture or Shutter priority mode to make it not appear so bright.

Else you can also manually tweak the aperture and shutter speed in manual mode to control the amount of light.

Status
Not open for further replies.