Keeping locations secret.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
As much as i like the Sharing is Caring concept, when it comes to locations for specific shoots...i and others consider them as Top Secret now to prevent abuse of the location or spoiling the market for those who know what we are doing.

does anyone else share my sentiments?

As much as i like the Sharing is Caring concept, when it comes to locations for specific shoots...i and others consider them as Top Secret now to prevent abuse of the location or spoiling the market for those who know what we are doing.

I never share, so everyone don't bother to ask me.

There is no obligation to share unless you are contractually binded to do so. Don't confuse sharing is caring with keeping confidential the tool of your trade or hobby.

I never share, so everyone don't bother to ask me.

Leong's avatar text reads: "Location: within myself" :bsmilie:

if you don't want to share the location.. don't share.. and don't post the images too and say I have a great shot of this magnificent place but you can't go cause its a secret.

Cause thats quite irritating.

if you don't want to share the location.. don't share.. and don't post the images too and say I have a great shot of this magnificent place but you can't go cause its a secret.

Seconded.

Nobody would have gotten onto this hobby if it wasn't for the help of others.

I look at it slightly differently.

Unless someone specifically states "look at my wonderful photos, but too bad you can't go there...." (or words to that effect), I would be inclined to respect his/her decision not to share the location, for fear that it will become overcrowded and hence closed off in future.

Like it or not, CS is a pretty big community.
The last thing we want is a nice tranquil/unspoilt place being abused by a huge group who spotted a nice picture and found out the location.

Unless someone specifically states "look at my wonderful photos, but too bad you can't go there...." (or words to that effect), I would be inclined to respect his/her decision not to share the location, for fear that it will become overcrowded and hence closed off in future.

The last thing we want is a nice tranquil/unspoilt place being abused by a huge group who spotted a nice picture and found out the location.

This goes without saying. If its a normal location then it's alright. Ask me locations I would tell you but with some disclaimers usually because I shoot places that aren't very conventional sometimes.

Seconded.

From an objective point of view, I think no one has any obligation to share. If the person don't share then so be it. If you don't like the person because he is not sharing or what, then so be it because life goes on. Just because some people share, doesn't mean everyone needs to share. Haven't we had classmates who can share their home-cooked lunch packed in a lunchbox, and some don't even share chips? No point getting angsty over it, life goes on. I guess there are always other spots to shoot, so all the more don't need to get annoyed with "no sharing"? Ultimately, its a personal preference to share or not.

This goes without saying. If its a normal location then it's alright. Ask me locations I would tell you but with some disclaimers usually because I shoot places that aren't very conventional sometimes.
yeah agreed.

If I see a nice photo you took and I'm curious about location (perhaps intending to shoot there), my first step would be to PM you for the location, and if you replied "sorry, but I cannot disclose the location", I would accept your decision. No choice lor...

don't think too much about it bro... cheers! :D

i cannot see how a place or location can be ruin by photographers who flog there to take pictures. They vandalise the place or do they chop down the trees?

If you're talking about nature whereby a certain bird might be seen and letting the whole world know and cause the bird to be scared of human and fly away and not coming back. Hmmm possible.

But if it's some place which has not been discovered, the only thing i feel that people are worried about giving it away is that you lose the uniqueness of that place in your photo. Then again i believe a great photographer is making a common place look different, giving it different perspective. An example would be, how many times have we seen a shot of the Eiffel Tower. How often we've seen it being shot from straight on or down from the base up. Well a great photographer will try to find that unique way of shooting it. So at the end of the day, with tonnes of people visiting and taking photos of that place, does it ruin the place or spoil the market cuz ones' photo is no longer unique. Well i dont agree with that. Protect your rice bowl cuz you know a secret place. Hmmmmm. More like afraid of competition cuz someone might have a different and better perspective of that place and can product better photos.

Why do magazines and books of beautiful picture state locations, f-stop use, camera use in their images? Well cuz they are trying to tell people that even u may know where this place is, know how i shoot this or even copy how i shoot this, it doesn't make you take a better picture than me. Cuz at the end of the day, we want to shoot something different and make it unique in our way. Not unique in the location.

From an objective point of view, I think no one has any obligation to share. If the person don't share then so be it. If you don't like the person because he is not sharing or what, then so be it because life goes on. Just because some people share, doesn't mean everyone needs to share. Haven't we had classmates who can share their home-cooked lunch packed in a lunchbox, and some don't even share chips? No point getting angsty over it, life goes on. I guess there are always other spots to shoot, so all the more don't need to get annoyed with "no sharing"? Ultimately, its a personal preference to share or not.

yeah agreed.

If I see a nice photo you took and I'm curious about location (perhaps intending to shoot there), my first step would be to PM you for the location, and if you replied "sorry, but I cannot disclose the location", I would accept your decision. No choice lor...

don't think too much about it bro... cheers! :D

Aiyah.. the world is so big.. adventure is the fun in landscape photography!

I agree that the photographer is not obliged to share the location. It's up to him or her to share, but there should be no demands made on anyone just because we like a particular photograph.

There's always something called research.

AdyH, I get what you're saying, but we're talking about slightly different aspects.

Say, for example, there is a residential place with good views of the surrounding.
Maybe because it's not so well-known, only 5 photographers show up per day, and at different times. The residents close 1 eye. But imagine if 20-30 ppl turn up and make a ruckus whilst they're at it, the residents might make a complaint, then something might be done to restrict public access. And so on and so forth...

Seconded.

Who say locations are never shared? Juz that those who shoot dun know you well enough to share...

Especially in open forums... Later got goondoos (like the 2 in raffles city) anyhow trample the location how?

ALSO, Sg soo small, observe and study the pic can estimate the location liao. If you still dun know.. Maybe it time to start wandering ard the little red dot more... Take up hiking... Very healthy too. ;)

Last edited:
How to share if the location don't even officially "exist"? :bsmilie:

302vi.jpg

vlcsnap2010122913h28m41.png

Last edited:
Seconded.

fully agreed. no one in this world can be independent of anyone.