Keeping fungus away from lens

alvinkm

Dec 4, 2008
Hi,

i have a qns to ask.....understanding that fungus will grow on lens that is store in high moisture area. if u would to keep my lens in dry box ( with silica gel) with around RH45%....but to keep the lens for a long period, will fungus still grow coz of stale air?

Hi,

i have a qns to ask.....understanding that fungus will grow on lens that is store in high moisture area. if u would to keep my lens in dry box ( with silica gel) with around RH45%....but to keep the lens for a long period, will fungus still grow coz of stale air?

u haf juz answered ur own question.

i think one good way is to use the equipment often. Storing it for long periods of time and not using them is not only bad for the equipment but also bad for our skills. If really cannot find time to shoot, just take it out once a week and snap aimlessy before keeping it again

theoretically fungus should not grow in an environment that is not wet and with humidity levels at around 45%.
But since you are using a drybox+gels, you'll have to monitor it closely and also ensure that your hydrometer is working properly

The best way to prevent fungus would be to use it, have some UV from the sun.

You can try fungicide. It is a chemical compound or biological organisms used to kill or inhibit fungi or fungal spores http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungicide....maybe not. The two ways I know is either use your equipment frequently or store it in a dry environment.

sorry for bringing up an old thread..

i have just bought a dslr..however, i'm moving house in a few months or left than a year..so i'm thinking to buy the dry cabinet after i moved house..Meanwhile, i will just keep the dslr lying around..will the fungus starts growing in these few months? =X

-star- said:
sorry for bringing up an old thread..

i have just bought a dslr..however, i'm moving house in a few months or left than a year..so i'm thinking to buy the dry cabinet after i moved house..Meanwhile, i will just keep the dslr lying around..will the fungus starts growing in these few months? =X

By right fungus should not grow but that's by right;)

coolthought said:
You can try fungicide. It is a chemical compound or biological organisms used to kill or inhibit fungi or fungal spores http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungicide....maybe not. The two ways I know is either use your equipment frequently or store it in a dry environment.

Haha I suggest keeping a fungus weevil in the lens to eat up any fungus:bsmilie:

Hi,

lug your camera with you everywhere, office, home, wherever you go. Even if you don't use it, the heat should be sufficient to penetrate and kill any fungus in your bag. I do this everyday, but of course I alternate what lens to bring and I have a very comfy bag. I know some people who does this with no fungus issue.

If you're really lazy, leave it at home but bring it out of your bag when you get home for some wipe here wipe there session and annoy your cat at the sound of your shutter...my cat is.

I've been using my trinity for some time now and I never had any fungus issues. The only time I put a pouch full of silica in my bag is when Its raining or my gear bag got wet or when I put sweaty gym clothes in my bag too.

But yet, its good to have.

is it better to put it in open air or inside a bag?

-star- said:
is it better to put it in open air or inside a bag?

Open air. Best if you have a cupboard with a spot light in it switched on 24/7. :)