Keeping equipment for 4 months in Shanghai

guangzhao

Jun 29, 2008
Braddell
Hi all,

I'm going for a work attachment to Shanghai for about 4 months and I'm thinking of bringing my gear.

Do any of you have any idea what is the best way to keep my equipment clean and dry? I don't think I want to get a dry box when I'm there as I'll only be there for 4+ months.

Thanks! :)

4 months should be alright if you use them often (like say once a week). I did not use a dry box when i was there for a couple of years as I brought my gear out to shoot almost every weekend. Staying by yourself in Shanghai can be lonely so the camera is a good companion to have.

However, if you are not planning to shoot that much, you might still want to consider a dry box with silica gel to keep things in good condition.

cheers

Daniel

PS: drop me a PM with your email details if you are interested in catching up. I will be there from time to time (by that i mean i am in Shanghai for 2 weeks and in other parts of Asia for the rest of the 2 weeks every month).

Hi all,

I'm going for a work attachment to Shanghai for about 4 months and I'm thinking of bringing my gear.

Do any of you have any idea what is the best way to keep my equipment clean and dry? I don't think I want to get a dry box when I'm there as I'll only be there for 4+ months.

Thanks! :)

which 4 months of the year? summer is humid while winter is dry

Simple, just bring along a few airtight plastic zipper bags, they are in different sizes so just pick up the one that is big enough for you, and put some silicon inside so that you can put the expensive equipment in this dry bag. I suggest you can use two layers so it is more effective.

Thanks for all the replies - they've been very useful.

which 4 months of the year? summer is humid while winter is dry

I'll be there from April through to August. Will be located mostly in Pu Dong near the river/sea... Is the humidity very bad in the summer?

turn on the dehumidifier function of the aircon 24/7?

Would that be sufficient? Have you done that before? If so where did you do that and for how long?

Simple, just bring along a few airtight plastic zipper bags, they are in different sizes so just pick up the one that is big enough for you, and put some silicon inside so that you can put the expensive equipment in this dry bag. I suggest you can use two layers so it is more effective.

Yea I was thinking of doing this and using those zip locs that we always use in Army for outfield. Would it be bad if we had too much silica? I've been reading this in the other thread where people have commented that too much silica will dry out the seals on the lenses/camera.