Keeping a cleaned lensed together with...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
After getting back my lense back from Nikon, i realised that there still some fungus growth at the side, on the inner lense.

What i am wondering is, if it's ok to keep this lense in a dry cabinet, together with the rest of my photographic equipment?

Would it contaminate the cabinet or cause fungus browth on other camera/lenses?

Kindly advise. :)

I do not think that it is a good idea to keep it with your other equipment, ESPECIALLY if it still has fungus on it. Fungus has spores and that spreads by air...... so go figure

Personally I have not had any problems keeping a lens with a little bit of fungus on it in my dry cabinet with other stuff.

The low humidity in the cabinet will at the very least stop the fungus from spreading, and at best, will kill it off.

FYI, fungus stops when RH is at 55% or lower, and rust stops when RH is at 45% or lower (referring to the manual that came with my dry cabinet).

Originally posted by Darren
Personally I have not had any problems keeping a lens with a little bit of fungus on it in my dry cabinet with other stuff.

The low humidity in the cabinet will at the very least stop the fungus from spreading, and at best, will kill it off.

FYI, fungus stops when RH is at 55% or lower, and rust stops when RH is at 45% or lower (referring to the manual that came with my dry cabinet).

True true, but what if there is some fault that does not keep the humidity low..? but then again it IS terrible to try to isolate the lens also...

correct me if I am wrong...

fungus will stop growing when RH is lower than 55%RH, however it will not be killed. It is just that it stays not active at below 55% RH, and will start growing (spora) when u bring ur lens out at higher RH (if the spora are already on your lens). Of course, ultra violet light will stop fungus from growing, so if u use ur lens often, then no worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.