Keep your window shades up? WHY?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBC

Oct 26, 2003
Visit site
Common sense tells me why we have to stow the tray table....
Can someone tell me why do we have sit upright and keep our window shades up during take off and landing?

:confused:

Common sense tells me why we have to stow the tray table....
Can someone tell me why do we have sit upright and keep our window shades up during take off and landing?

:confused:

So that if anything happens, you can see where you are gonna land :bsmilie: ;p

I knew there's gonna be smart alec replies like that... But really?:confused:

safety. what else?

imagine what would have happened if your stow tray table is down, and the plane does a emergency stop? your momentum will bring you forward, and *ouch*...worse still, if there's a cup of hot coffee on the table.

seat upright: same reason, but to protect the person behind you?

open windows: to enable visibility of the plane at night? since it's a standard procedure, so air stewards follow it even in daytime?

disclaimer: i'm not from the airline industry, just giving my 2¢

Really mah, I think that will allow the people to look outside to determine where to evacuate, certain side might be on fire etc ma ... hehe ... jsut guessing ;p

If anything were to happen, you tink still have time to look thru the window?
maybe everything will be everywhere already.... if u still dunno where to evac then I think you must be dead already.:dunno:

i got a better 1...

During Take-off & Landing no inflight entertainment... so look outside to be entertained... at least if u are not, the one beside you might... :bsmilie:

That is to calm people down as some might feel frightened.
By letting them have an idea of what the plane is doing might prevent them from being frightened. :)

So that rescue personnel can see/look in if need be to determine if it is safe to enter?

Safety.

The reasoning is that you need to be able to rapidly and clearly assess the conditions outside during an evacuation.

The reasons the window shades must be up during take off and landing is so that in event of engine fire or smoke then passengers can alert the FAs who will in turn alert the pilots. As pilots cant see everything during the take off and sometimes nothing is indicated in the cockpit. Also, if part of the flaps tear or any other peculiar thing that may happen then passengers are the eyes. In the event of an evacuation having the window shades up also allow passengers to see the outside conditions and adjust accordingly, for eg. if there's a fire on that end then don't run to that exit but another.

This is scarry but is this true?:confused:

Maybe we should get a pilot to comment.....;p

Seats fully upright so that you don't slide under the safety belt in the event of a sudden stop. The belts are meant to restrain you at your waist.

Imagine the shot you could get if the wing drops off and you are sitting at that window...

Imagine your frustration if you missed the shot because the window shades were down...

I got a friend working in SIA last time. I asked her why & she told me
is to let you all aware of what happening outside if 'anything happened' when taking
off & landing....

Imagine the shot you could get if the wing drops off and you are sitting at that window...

Imagine your frustration if you missed the shot because the window shades were down...

We are really in the photography forum:bsmilie:

true to our creed indeed :bsmilie:
gotta ask my pilot friends why the requirement, i've always found it irritating esp when you're the one next to the window and the sun's in your face.
all the speculation aside, its a human thing, same as why we have windows in MRT trains even though the NE line is all underground. ppl need to see what's going on, its a psychological thing. fights claustraphobia i guess...

As Klose have mentioned, the pilots can't see what's happening behind.

Another point is that in case of emergency... most likely the engines and generators are cut-off to prevent additional fire hazards.

So instead of letting the passengers bang around in a black-out situation, the windows are to be left open to facilitate quick evacuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.