Keep your SLR after getting your DSLR?

Keep your SLR after getting a DSLR?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadwe

Sep 18, 2003
East
How many of you still keep your SLR after getting a DSLR?

I should also ask why... (if you do or if you don't)

Still keep my Minolta 404. You never know when you need it ;)

But then, when do you need it when you have your DSLR?

When it is sent for servicing? :D

Not only I keep my film SLR (EOS 888) after getting my EOS 300D, I even plan to upgrade to a better film body. :p

leadwe said:
But then, when do you need it when you have your DSLR?

When it is sent for servicing? :D

Like I said in my reply, I never know when I need it, if I need it, then it is there lor. I dun send it for servicing, once in a while I just take it out and exercise it by clicking it :D

jimtong said:
You never know when you need it ;)
Agree fully with jimtong on this. It'll come in handy as a backup body. There are even some people who use film more than digital, although they have both. (For me its the other way round though).

Thanks Jim. I guess what I am trying to understand is that for those pple with SLR and wish to try out (not sure whether I should use the word "upgrade") DSLR, whether they should sell off their SLR or keep it. It all boils back to the question of whether you foresee any situation where you would use your SLR instead of your DSLR? If there isn't, won't it be a waste just to keep your SLR body in the dry box?

I could think of only one reason which is to shoot slides (obviously). :D

The problem for me at the moment is trying decide if I should keep my D-SLR since I have gone back to SLR's.

james m said:
The problem for me at the moment is trying decide if I should keep my D-SLR since I have gone back to SLR's.

can i know why you are switching back?

One possible reason to keep would be the advantage of full-frame.
Of course, unless you own a full-frame DSLR.

I guess one thing I have been missing out most by not shooting digital is not being able to post my photos up here for critique...

I still have 3 Canon manaul cameras and several lenses with me sitting on the bookshelf. Don't don't what I should do with them. I don't quite like the idea of getting rid of them at rock bottom prices.

I still habour the hope of using them for cross-process effects or shooting a wedding for a friend.

Other than that I would never want to go back to shoot films again. What's the easiest and cheapest way to get a 48mb file?

SniperD said:
yupz.. still have my trusty EOS30 with me :) FIlm is still my passion

Why do u prefer film, may I ask? Is it because of the quality?

maybe I'm just a little traditional but after using digital for some time now to cover weddings/ events and stuff, the look of film still amaze me coz the tonality and overall look of the printouts are some things digital can't emulate. Well, the trade off for film is that you have to shoot more and a longer turn-over time but the results are telling :) In a way, digital shots' quality is on par with film so let's not go into it but film gives a more aesthetic feel to a shot (personal opinion) :)

SniperD said:
maybe I'm just a little traditional but after using digital for some time now to cover weddings/ events and stuff, the look of film still amaze me coz the tonality and overall look of the printouts are some things digital can't emulate. Well, the trade off for film is that you have to shoot more and a longer turn-over time but the results are telling :) In a way, digital shots' quality is on par with film so let's not go into it but film gives a more aesthetic feel to a shot (personal opinion) :)

speaking of weddings, just wondering how many here still use SLR to cover weddings despite having DSLR? My sense is not many..... Or is there anyone who covers wedding with SLR still? Personally, I know of a friend who does but recently for all the weddings that I attended lately, all the photographers are carrying DSLR.

Status
Not open for further replies.