Keep photos for future - Develop or save softcopy in HDD?

:eek: Wow brother, you have such a big technology investment. I believe the cartridges are not cheap and you have 40 of them :bigeyes:

ya, I burn a big hole. very big hole. now blue ray, may be next will be x ray, gamma ray,

haha, just like the laser disk, cannot find a drive to read. or no software to access.:dunno:

ya, I burn a big hole. very big hole. now blue ray, may be next will be x ray, gamma ray,

haha, just like the laser disk, cannot find a drive to read. or no software to access.:dunno:

That's the issue with high-tech storage: after a few years your "ancient" media will no longer be supported by new technologies.
At least with printed media you can still view it.

That's the issue with high-tech storage: after a few years your "ancient" media will no longer be supported by new technologies.
At least with printed media you can still view it.

blu-ray drives are backward compatible with DVD and CD, right?

get a NAS running RAID, SSD even better. that would last a long time.

SSDs are still not reliable enough, which is why you don't see them used for enterprise-level work.

BR maybe, but what about stuff like Iomega Zip drives and other now obsolete tech?

I start to digitized my slide / print 20 years ago. I used syquest /iomega removable disk/ shutter disk / 3.5 and 5.25 inch MOl disk/ 8mm tape /DLT tape.

Removable disk is all gone, no longer in manufacturing for the drive or disk. 20mb/40mb/80mb/200mb for syquest. iomega to 4GB.

Shutter disk is using scsi / fast scsi bus, interface to computer is a problem no longer supported or need special hardware software to read.

MO disk the best, media very little problem and very reliable. However I think is very hard to find a drive in the market now. I have 40 of the cartridge. 128mb/230MB/640MB for 3.5inch. 250MB/550MB/1.2GB/2.3GB for 5.25 inch. Backward compatible is only 1 generation. a 1.2GB drive will not read 250MB cartridge. Same with most of all others device.

8mm tape not very reliable after more then 10 times of read re-write.

DLT is faster and better then 8mm. But then, 10GB/20GB/40GB/80GB xxxxxGB and when the new formate is out you better copy all to the new type, or you get stuck again.

My slide and print age between 15 to 35 years Colour print fade 20 to 60%, E6 process slide fade 20-80%, kodachrome fade 10% but at least I can visual, and still available. BW same as 35 years ago, just a bit yellowish.

all computer/digital storage is about 100% no problem. Because no hardware to verify.

CD is better then DVD is better then Re-writable CD. I have DVD cannot read by new drive.
I also have disc left in car, and after a hot sun bath, not readable. Just crash a hard disk last month and the disk is only 2 years old. Replace my D70 memory card reader because it give a error message to me and my card just bobo off.

So? Hee hee

ThanK you for sharing your extensive experience!:thumbsup:

:think: Looks like digital still better but got to follow the progress of technology and migrate all data to a new format after sometime... Anyway, colour fade on prints does add up to the overall feel of amount of time pass...do u tink it affects the photos negatively or positively?
(for eg, -neg because colour is not as what you shot then, +pos because it shows how much time has passed....:think:)

ThanK you for sharing your extensive experience!:thumbsup:

:think: Looks like digital still better but got to follow the progress of technology and migrate all data to a new format after sometime... Anyway, colour fade on prints does add up to the overall feel of amount of time pass...do u tink it affects the photos negatively or positively?
(for eg, -neg because colour is not as what you shot then, +pos because it shows how much time has passed....:think:)

allo allo brother,

To me, in commercial world you go digital. But in photography for personnal (not image but "photograph") I think analog is a better way, why??

1. following electronic technology is never ending. they change too fast. every year/month you have new and better technology, are you going to replace your old camera and lens?

2. analog is very hard to duplicate/copy, one and only one. every digital file is original file.

3. mechnical in many ways is more reliable then electronic. though electronic is more precise in control and operation.

4. build quality of the simple old stuff is much better then todays plastic combination. Hold a old Nikon F/Lieca M or R/Canon F/Pentax spotmatic/contax/Hasellblad cm /Linhof/Sinar/speedgraphic etc you feel the difference. same as the lenses.

5.digital is too rational, film has more feeling(irrational). when time pass by it fade. so you can feel the emotional of the pic. because we all start to forget many things. who will show you a yellowish digital file and expect you to belive is many year old digital file store in HDD?? but my file in digital format cannot read in MO disk/HD alamak!! $%^&8@#

lucky I still have my print and slide haha

btw writable CD/DVD is also a layer of polymer that the tiny laser change the polarity, heat/light sensiitive hmmmm.........

oops ot already

SSDs are still not reliable enough, which is why you don't see them used for enterprise-level work.

BR maybe, but what about stuff like Iomega Zip drives and other now obsolete tech?

its still considered a new technology and new versions are still coming out as we speak, not to mention the high prices. its not really the reliablity that is holding back the enterprise.

its still considered a new technology and new versions are still coming out as we speak, not to mention the high prices. its not really the reliablity that is holding back the enterprise.

That's not true. SSDs typically start failing after around 1 million to 5 million write cycles. Not good enough for heavy-duty enterprises.

Most if not all the BR burners i saw can read and burn DVD/CD. I was told some of the blueray video players do not support CDs ..

That's not true. SSDs typically start failing after around 1 million to 5 million write cycles. Not good enough for heavy-duty enterprises.

mostly becoz the firmware cant write across evenly to avoid overwriting, and not enough heavy duty testing to iron out the issue.

Do you develop your photos(fav. shots) and store in photo albums as in the old way or do you keep your softcopy in hard disk drive(hdd) for future viewing...??

*what I mean future is not 2,3 years later or what...I am referring to sharing with your kids, grandson etc what you went through when young;p

Guys, can tell me what's your view on this?:)

If you like me, I have printed out to hardcopy shots that are worth keeping and then frame it up. The rest in softcopy cos I'll never view them again unless I do housekeeping.

For long time storage, I used to back up on CD-R then DVD-RAM and now slowly transferring to BD but still keeping the CD-R and DVD-RAM. I also keep them in HDD. I use Seagate Server Edition which is still running after 7 years.

Just a little bit of OT, why not just invest in photo/file storage account and upload your photos there? I think for archival purposes it's good enough for hobbyists where fast turnaround time is not of great importance.

Just a little bit of OT, why not just invest in photo/file storage account and upload your photos there? I think for archival purposes it's good enough for hobbyists where fast turnaround time is not of great importance.

What if the company cease operation and the server taken off and there's no way to retrieve?:bsmilie: Juz a possibility..but anyone experienced this before?

What if the company cease operation and the server taken off and there's no way to retrieve?:bsmilie: Juz a possibility..but anyone experienced this before?

Happen before but not so drastic then. The company where I uploaded the files was bought over by another company who began to charge $9.99 per GB of storage per month. Less than two years later close shop and my files were gone forever. No more cloud storage for me.

Happen before but not so drastic then. The company where I uploaded the files was bought over by another company who began to charge $9.99 per GB of storage per month. Less than two years later close shop and my files were gone forever. No more cloud storage for me.

oh bad...seems like online storage is not trustworthy...it's safer to be kept nearer to the owners...HDD and Hardcopy...haha..:D

Prefer to keep all on NAS as can have immediate access anytime and anywhere (even can ftp over the internet) and by all family members. Backup on another for security.

Just store it on a raid, when 1 fail, buy another one to replace it. HDD have like 5 years warranty currently so the cost of ownership is pretty low. And in terms of cost per GB, its very cheap. Don't store your stuffs on DVD/BR etc, they will decompose over the years and become unreadable.

Just store it on a raid, when 1 fail, buy another one to replace it. HDD have like 5 years warranty currently so the cost of ownership is pretty low. And in terms of cost per GB, its very cheap. Don't store your stuffs on DVD/BR etc, they will decompose over the years and become unreadable.

Agreed...I nv burn any photos in dvd too...coz I always have the impression that dvds are very prone to scratches + regular playing involves some physical contact that causes the surface to degrade over time...:)