Keen to adopt a puppy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

render

Jun 15, 2005
Hi, i wonder if any of you have HDB approved/small breed puppies or doggies up for adoption???
im keen to adopt one!!!!

please let me know =D

thanks

yours,
render

render said:
Hi, i wonder if any of you have HDB approved/small breed puppies or doggies up for adoption???
im keen to adopt one!!!!

please let me know =D

thanks

yours,
render

Are you keen on Miniature Pinscher? About 2 months old.
Was offered to me for free, but I rejected :p
If you like can check out for you.

dominator said:
Are you keen on Miniature Pinscher? About 2 months old.
Was offered to me for free, but I rejected :p
If you like can check out for you.

im very keen and ive pm-ed u! please help me check out and let me know asap~

thanks so much :kiss:

yours,
render

raptor84 said:
You can try Mutts and Mittens at 65837371. YOu can try the usual places like SPCA or ASD or Dog People

hi, ive already checked these websites out. thanks.
but they do not have small breed puppies =)

thanks all dogs lovers! ups ups for my thread =P

It is best if you can list some species which you're looking at. Getting a HDB-approved dog or tiny dog should not be your top priority. :nono:

You need to read up on the temperament of some the more common breeds (e.g. Maltese, Shih-tzu, Chihuahua, Poodle etc.) and their level of needs. Some need more exercise than other breeds etc. and some need their coats to be brushed daily etc. Each breed's requirements and temperaments are different. And remember, smaller dogs tend to live longer than larger dogs. Expect a life span of around 12-18 years (18 years are rare but possible).

Perhaps some questions you have to ask yourself before you decide on a breed:

- How much time can I spare EACH DAY to the dog?
- Am I willing to groom it DAILY or WEEKLY?
- Am I willing to exercise the dog DAILY? Or am I looking for a dog that does not need that much exercise?
- Are you looking for an active dog or a lap dog?
- Is fur an issue for me? Any family member allergic to dog fur? (Helps you decide on short or long fur breeds, or breeds that do not shed that much fur, e.g. Maltese, Poodles, Silkies, etc.)
- Are you looking for a guard dog? (e.g. A dog to bark each time there's someone at the door?)

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to contact me if you need any help in deciding or need more info. about some of the temperaments/needs of dog breeds.

what cityofangels mentioned might be true but however, getting a HDB approved doggie list might be a good start. No point go through the entire list but to find that it is not HDB approved.

Please make sure you are really really keen to adopt one. The amount of trouble, money and time to be spent on taking care of the pet is not to be taken lightly. I hope you do consider this carefully.

i've had chances to adopt dogs but i gave the chances up. i love furry animals in general.. dogs.. cats...hammies.. you name it but due to my own commitments, i have to decline again and again becos i know i am not a good owner as i cannot have so much time to play with a pet if i have one. it's not just feeding/cuddling/occasional bathing and grooming. it's alot more.. esp love.

when i read the title 'puppy', i cant help but i think some of the ppl here already said what i'm going to say..

having a pet is for life, not just as a hobby but look after it like you would look after as your own kid. and a puppy when young is really cute but many heartless ppl actually dumped their outgrown pets when they aint that 'cute' anymore, or are sick.

think carefully and yeah, all the best to you and your new pet :)

render said:
im keen to adopt one!!!!

please let me know =D

thanks

yours,
render
Ready to adopt a dog?

Read this first: http://www.spca.org.sg/adoption/responsibility.asp
Next, go here: http://www.spca.org.sg/adoption/adoption.asp

U want 'HDB Approved'? There are so many there, Jack Russels, Cross Breeds, etc. If u love a dog, big or small. Puppy or adult. Male dog or female bitch, u'll love them all the same.

The dog can live till as long as 20 years. It is going to be a joy to you when you find it cute and a burden that is if you get sick of it. It will present its own host of problems such as health, who to look after it when no one is around, committement to it. It may turn out to not behave as you want it or expect it to. It may have problems such as drooling.

You will grow up and you might find a mate (I dont know your sexuality so it is either you find a husband or wife) that tells you "If you love me, you will get rid of the dog because I am so afraid of dogs" or when you have kids and your in laws tell you "hiya must throw dog away hah!!! later eat your baby hah, later your kid get asthma from dog fur hah... later this later that" Are you firm enough to stand up for your dog or are you going to whimper and send dog away?

Think carefully first yah...

Glad that many of the members have already given you good advices..

small-breed puppies?
you mean those found in pet shops selling $1000 ea?
You would like to know if you can adopt FOC here?
Nice try, but chances are really slim, unless the puppy is from a close friend of yours, or it could be ill and the owner does not want to take care of it for life..

what centuryegg said is true...
have you considered all the consequences of getting a dog?
firstly, if you are kinda young...please make sure your family is commited to taking care for you when you are busy, overseas studying or NS..

secondly, like centuryegg, I myself have heard too many times of people giving up their dogs because of marriage or newborn..
Please spare a minute and ask yourself...are u willing to defy your wife's or in-laws' orders to remove the dog if she wanna have a kid? (if they do not like dogs...that is..)

Having a pet is like having a child. Is the family supportive of this as well? And the ensuing heartache when something goes wrong. Its not as simple as being a pet which can be thrown away when the novelty wears off. So the question here is : Are you a first time dog owner?

Read up on the internet on the breeds, and how to care for them properly. And a honest word of advise, talk to proper people who knows these animals, not animal groups. They are usually the cause of more grief.

Ask around and make the final decision yourself.

If you have the chance, visit NANAS in JB. Raymond can be eccentric but he does offer sound advise when you get to know him better (he is very careful with what he says and usually to strangers, his answers are politically correct... only after you know him then he will open up more)...

Honestly, if this is only a novelty and you do not understand the responsibilities of a pet owner, I would rather advise you to give up the thought of adopting a dog. (Offer to foster a dog for the animal groups if you are up for a "test" for your commitment level). If you are really serious, then understand that there are breeds that matches your lifestyle. Yes, its true. So find that breed that matches your lifestyle well. And the most important thing for a dog is the right diet.

It is a life long commitement and in a way you are not having a pet. That is the wrong term to use, you are having a family member. A pet, you can do anything to it because you own it. Which is what leds to abuse. A family member is someone you treat with respect.

Seen too many dogs and cats and other animals thrown out the door when their owners get sick of them. And then they get abused by children and finally caught and put down by AVA as "dirty disease spreading strays"

How true.

I'd think all of us here would rather choose to be the bad guys holding flamethrowers than to see a life entrusted to the care of another, being abused and being put down.

Status
Not open for further replies.