Keelung rejoiced (H series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see many great Peepture. :thumbsup:

I think #6 would do a little better with a little more contrast.

but sometimes, just try to peel yourself away like at dawn when they are still asleep.

which is why i try to stay within walking distances of great dawn/dusk shots. however, it depends on locations and taiwan is in particularly weak in this area. most accomodations are bundled together in small towns which is still some distance from great sites.

I see many great Peepture. :thumbsup:

I think #6 would do a little better with a little more contrast.

more contrast in which area? the sky? or the towers? or the blocks below?

The whole frame. they looks a little washed out for me

there is low subject contrast with fairly overcast weather. but there is also large differences in tonal contrast which is too strong for my GND to balance, there is not enough details and clarity in the shadow in bring up contrast.

bringing up contrast in the sky can be done but some banding of colors may occur. this is more likely to be done as it is not as bad as the former, and can bring more impact like what you say, although i opted for details and tonal transition in the sky.

#16 ju-on

can try to alter the perspective to central on but left it alone as i thought that is pretty secondary.

DSC_5462eifjw.jpg

Last edited:
I think some of the images captures the 'Spirit of The Place' (incidently, a good travel photography book), especially #2 and #9. I also do like #14 for it's creative nature.

my favourite is #12 ;) for only if i can shoot better than that. hope one day i can shoot outdoor portraits of commerical studio quality.

#17 i always have good luck with dogs who tends to get cosy with me. but this one is pretty shy and keep running away despite of his/her friendly owner.

DSC_5064eifjw.jpg

Last edited:
#18 rocks at waimushan

DSC_5662eifjw.jpg

Last edited:
19. a little spaceship looking signboard at the top of a few storeys building

DSC_5220eifjw.jpg

Last edited:
#18 rocks at waimushan

DSC_5662eifjw.jpg

nice!

a bit wider to include more of the sky so that the top doesn't feel so tight would be good though, i feel

the arrangement of the foreground elements is charming though

nice!

a bit wider to include more of the sky so that the top doesn't feel so tight would be good though, i feel

the arrangement of the foreground elements is charming though

what proportion would you think is good? 1/3 sky, or 1/4, or something just slightly more than mine?

what proportion would you think is good? 1/3 sky, or 1/4, or something just slightly more than mine?

i think wider expense
with just a teeny weeny bit more sky, just a bit, perhaps .5 to 1 cm more at this size
would be just perfect
if not for anything, simply so that the little isle in the distance doesn't seem so cramped, you get what i mean

don't need to follow what 1/3 2/3 3/3 la, especially if the sky is devoid of interest
which it was, i suppose? looks quite dry to me

i think wider expense
with just a teeny weeny bit more sky, just a bit, perhaps .5 to 1 cm more at this size
would be just perfect
if not for anything, simply so that the little isle in the distance doesn't seem so cramped, you get what i mean

don't need to follow what 1/3 2/3 3/3 la, especially if the sky is devoid of interest
which it was, i suppose? looks quite dry to me

yup, i know what you meant, negative space around subject.

i use 1/3 or 1/4 as a figurative description, i dun follow much rules perhaps except for horizons...

#20 crowded streets of keelung harbor

DSC_5571eifjw.jpg

Last edited:
Zoosh. You have got a great eye which turns ordinary living into scenes from postcards. I always look forward to checking out your posts.

May I ask, if I'm keen on learning the skills of using filters, would you have any good sites or books to recommend?

Cheers

John

Zoosh. You have got a great eye which turns ordinary living into scenes from postcards. I always look forward to checking out your posts.

May I ask, if I'm keen on learning the skills of using filters, would you have any good sites or books to recommend?

Cheers

John

yes i agree with you
the variance of subjects and genre is very enjoyable
have a lot to learn regarding street photog from him, can never picture people in quite the same way, find landscapes much easier

as for filters, the national library actually has quite a number of books on this, but to be honest, just buying and trying is much faster, especially nowadays when you have china made goods, the cost of trying filters has become cheaper =)

John

couldn't agree more with you on this. zoossh really has a super eye :thumbsup:
i thoroughly enjoy looking at his photos and i've also directed a few of my friends to his threads. everyone is amazed. keep going zoossh. :thumbsup:

zoossh,
in this series, there are some street candids that i like, but the one i liked most was #18. i've been to quite a few seasides myself, but never got anything like this however hard i tried. you, night86mare and few others on this forum make it look so easy to shoot such photographs. i could never get the soft effect of the surf.

Everytime I see your travel photos, there will certainly be filled with candid shots of people.... which I can never bring myself to shoot. Haiz.. wonder when will I break free from this inhibition.

Interesting title with #16 Ju-on.. the boy looks confused rather than creepy though...

#20 crowded streets of keelung harbor

DSC_5571eifjw.jpg

As for this shot, would like to find out if this was the natural lighting and what time of the day was it. Cos sometimes my photos do not reflect the natural lighting.. usually darker.. and I have to adjust the settings which wastes time.

saw your latest thread on the central. once again impressed. and finally with your watermark up? and by the way, that's quite a common korean surname too.

Btw.. it is a korean surname as well chinese (though very rare).. have been mistaken as one too... (by Koreans!!) perhaps I do have roots there.. :think:
Are you? Eh.. or have I asked that question before..

Everytime I see your travel photos, there will certainly be filled with candid shots of people.... which I can never bring myself to shoot. Haiz.. wonder when will I break free from this inhibition.

travel with your photographer friends (most of them are more open than normal friends to being shot at, and some of them are too engrossed in shooting to know that they are being shot), shot them as a start.

some of my fav shots (may not be those that others like) comes with multi-subject interaction (as below) rather than a single subject. becos they tend to get distracted by each other, maximising the "candid" effect. a one to one person shot needs to be fast, becos people tend to get tight if you take a little longer, and then they start posing or they stone.

DSC_0307efw.jpg

Interesting title with #16 Ju-on.. the boy looks confused rather than creepy though...

he is looking at the ghost festival procession in the far distance, with a blank face (not really confused).

As for this shot, would like to find out if this was the natural lighting and what time of the day was it.

taken closed to 4pm. underexposed at EV-0.7. i dodged the foreground people to give some more colors other than the bright yellow already present on the banners which has good low light thrown on it.

Btw.. it is a korean surname as well chinese (though very rare).. have been mistaken as one too... (by Koreans!!) perhaps I do have roots there.. :think:

Are you? Eh.. or have I asked that question before..

becos it is a northern surname, hence adopted by koreans closer to northeastern china proper (liaoning and hebei). but koreans and chinese with the same surname do not share any blood at all. they are related to the manchurians, with ancient names without surnames. chinese-like surnames are adopted at a later time.

my ethnic ancestry should be hakka (judging by traditional practices of my grandparents) which at some point of time was assimilated into hokkien. the latter is a southern race, likely to be viet-like races assimilated by the chinese, whereas hakka is sort of more mysterious, believed to have moved southward from further north.

i tend to be mistaken as a japanese when overseas becos i have the habit of leaving my beard and moustache on, and my eyes is quite slit like, especially when i smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.