kata DR backpack - why got holes inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
I recently got a Kata DR466 backpack bag, it looks good and feels good when carrying. So I did some checking before heading out for a daytrip walk-and-shoot. And found Kata designed some holes inside the backpack, this would allow rain and dust to go inside and gather inside. Anyone know what is the reason for this design?

1. Kata DR466 look like this, its a backpack, with top half holding filters, cards, non photographic gear, personal stuff etc, bottom half holding camera and lens.
DSC_7737nx.jpg

2. There is a small hole at the top directly under the handle, this would allow rain and dust to go inside the top compartment.
DSC_7738nx.jpg

3. There are another 2 holes between the top and bottom compartment, 1 on the left and 1 on the right corner, so water and dust theoretically can run from top compartment to bottom compartment (where camera nad lens are).
DSC_7739nx.jpg

Of course Kata provide a rain cover, but it is interesting to find they design holes inside??

Top 'hole' might be for water dispensing units like a CamelBak water pouch + tube for hiking.

i got a non camera packbag and the hole under the handle is for earphones

yup correct, the holes are for the earphones to your MP3 player that can be slotted in the small pockets within the top compartment.

Thanks for explaining, now I know why the bag was designed with holes, a bit strange to me though, probably I would need to sew it up.

Hi Astin,

The holes under the handle is for hydration system's tube and can also be used as earphones for mp3 or cd players on top compartment. Another holes in between the top and bottom compartment, I am not sure but for my DR-466i, they are zippered (with holes too) so that it can be opened to use the whole bag!

Regards,
Jay

Hi Astin,

The holes under the handle is for hydration system's tube and can also be used as earphones for mp3 or cd players on top compartment. Another holes in between the top and bottom compartment, I am not sure but for my DR-466i, they are zippered (with holes too) so that it can be opened to use the whole bag!

Regards,
Jay

I am pretty sure the hole is not designed for a hydration system tube, nor is the bag designed to hold a hydration reservoir. If water spills, it WILL spill into your camera compartment. That's why I sold my DR-466 and got myself a Clik-Elite eventually...

Hi all, I emailed Kata bag and they replied within 24 hours (I am impressed by their fast response!) Below is their reply:

Hello,

First of all thanks for the positive feedback on our products. The hole that you mentioned under the handle is meant for a headphone cord to be put through for listening to a mp3 player for example. So far we have not had any complaints from customers of water entering through this hole however we do recommend that if it does start raing that you intall the provided rain cover.

We also recommend never to keep a water bottle in the top compartment but in the outside water bottle holder on the side of the bag. Most bags are never 100% waterproof and even without these holes if something spills within the bag, it could potentially get your camera gear wet.

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions,

Thanks,

BTW the bag is designed to allow you to remove that divider (where the bottom two holes are) to make the bag one big space.

FWIW, dust will enter your camera bag either way, holes or not. Don't tell me when you open your camera bag to take your gear out, no dust enters it at all.

BTW the bag is designed to allow you to remove that divider (where the bottom two holes are) to make the bag one big space.

FWIW, dust will enter your camera bag either way, holes or not. Don't tell me when you open your camera bag to take your gear out, no dust enters it at all.

That's why there are rubberised zippers and stuff on the Lowepro Vertex series, for example. That makes it possible for the dust to enter ONLY when unzipped.

That's why there are rubberised zippers and stuff on the Lowepro Vertex series, for example. That makes it possible for the dust to enter ONLY when unzipped.

Rubber is no means for dustproofing. That's why even with rubber gaskets and weather sealing on your L lenses and 1-series bodies, they do not claim to be dust-proof, just weather-proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.