Kampong Buangkok

Bernuts

Apr 6, 2011
Kampong Buangkok is the LAST standing Kampong in mainland Singapore that still keeps its traditional culture and heritage in place, withstanding 55 years of modernization. This place is nothing like the everyday urban Singapore because Kampong Buangkok is nothing but traditional, authentic, and filled with amazing culture and heritage that should be exposed to the world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOxq6cUuQU
[video=youtube;8lOxq6cUuQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOxq6cUuQU[/video]

Retaining Kampong Buangkok would supply our future generations with an interesting perspective of Singapore rural history and also excite culturally motivated international tourists to drop by!

The Singapore Government currently has other plan for this place as they would like redevelop Kampong Buangkok into a major road that links to Buangkok Drive.

If you wish to prevent or defer the redevelopment of Kampong Buangkok and the dissolution of its surrounding, please proceed to the following petition site and join in the conservation effort:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/5/protecting-our-kampong-buangkok/

Stand up for Kampong Buangkok, let your voice be heard, sign the petition!
This destination filled with a wealth of Singapore's pristine history is a valuable and endearing treasure which Singapore must conserve.
Together, we can make a difference!

http://www.facebook.com/KampongBuangkok

Last edited:
bump! Save Kampong Heritage!

If the fate of the Old National Library Building has anything to say about conserving heritage in Singapore, what chance will a mere village have?

Yep its still around! It's at Lorong Buangkok, turn in from Gerald Dr.

If we wont do anything, there wont be a chance for Kampong Buangkok.
If we do something, anything.. Kampong Buangkok might stand have a chance, maybe at least a deferment of the redevelopment

One way to help delay or perhaps even save the place. Visit, blog/write/article features/petitions/etcetc on the kampong.
But it's no guarantee, but no harm trying. Just don't make a nuisance of yourself in that place. Heard from the landlady,
there are youths who go there, get drunk and make a lot of noise. Disturbing the residents there, somehow there are incidents
of 'unforseen happenings'... so it's good to be respectful always. :)

My great great grandfather lived there with another 4 families.(my uncles)

When he died, they moved out of the house!

It was near 'Seow Lan Keng' Woodbridge Hos.

There some nice fishing ponds around. Not too sure whether they are still there.

Last edited:
One way to help delay or perhaps even save the place. Visit, blog/write/article features/petitions/etcetc on the kampong.
But it's no guarantee, but no harm trying. Just don't make a nuisance of yourself in that place. Heard from the landlady,
there are youths who go there, get drunk and make a lot of noise. Disturbing the residents there, somehow there are incidents
of 'unforseen happenings'... so it's good to be respectful always. :)

concur that. i used to take afternoon walk in the area when moving in Buangkok crescent 7years ago. chit chat with some nice people there....one advice i remember though; try not to walk around during rainy season, an old malay lady warned me that 'tali pinggang' (translated as belts) are abundant. took sometime to understand that she meant snakes. and there is this fierce guard dog which confonted me when i approached a house, the owner gestures his hand, asking me to go away and telling me that his dog don't like any strangers

There are a few dogs there, two belonging to the landowner. And yes, snakes are plenty there, landlady told me she once saw a black king cobra a few years ago.
But they didnt disturb each other, it slithered away peacefully. The dogs somehow keep the snakes away or warn others of snakes. :)

The video brings back some memory. My great great grandfather's house was about 100-150m away from the main road.
I remembered that there was a provision shop near the main road. The house stood about along the dirt road 50m away from the provision shop. There was a big court yard behind the house. This was where chickens, ducks and gooses roamed. I was once chased and pecked by a goose.

Those were the days.

I will visit the place to look for the house my grandfather stayed.

Last edited:
There are a few dogs there, two belonging to the landowner. And yes, snakes are plenty there, landlady told me she once saw a black king cobra a few years ago.
But they didnt disturb each other, it slithered away peacefully. The dogs somehow keep the snakes away or warn others of snakes. :)

Snakes? Wow i went into the forest area and didn't know there were snakes! There were also huge mosquitos flying all over. Considering you can see a mosquito flying around in that environment, it's pretty scary.

Never saw any snakes when I went there! Lucky me haha
Hope you guys can share this around please!

Snakes tend to avoid humans if they are able to, they have a keen sense of smell. And most animals are able to detect humans from quite a distance. :)

Great thread! is it still around now?

Yes it still around..u can visit it..