K7 question

KTi

May 2, 2006
Hi,

I am looking to possibly buy the K7 but I have a question that I hope the owners here could help.

I have a E-P1 and been trying to use it during my kids school events. The events are typically at school or indoor performance stage. So, lighting could be low and there are movements. One example is my kid's dance performance. It was controlled stage lighting and they were doing modern dance.

I used a panasonic 45-200mm f4.0-5.6 lens on the E-P1 to do the capture but the results were frustrating most of the time. I attribute that to slow lens speed plus E-P1's not so good performance at high ISO. In addition, the slow AF speed of E-P1 is also another factor.

One example of the shots I have is as follows:

61mm (122 mm in 35mm speak), ISO 800, 1/20, f4.1

PC080813-1.jpg

You can see the blur image as I was trying to time the shot. I tried not to go over 800 on ISO but that means my shutter speed suffers, perhaps that has contributed to the blur image.

I managed to get only one or two good shots out of the whole evening. To me, it's an opportunity lost.

The question I have is with the K7 and DA Star 200mm f2.8 lens, do you guys think that it will be suited for this type of shooting? I am hoping with this faster lens, larger APS-C sensor, better auto focus, I may be able to get better outcome.

Your thought please.

P/S: I still love the E-P1 for the form factor, in fact, I bring it with me everywhere I go, it is very discrete and with the pancake 17mm f2.8, it works well in most situations. The OOC jpeg is one of the best too.

how about a 200mm f2.8 + Pentax K-x, if you shoot almost exclusively lowlight? it's the one best suited for high ISO photography..

however if you consider indoor WB to be an important factor too, k-7 will do better in this aspect. ISO 1600 is usable. above that, the downside is k-7 gives more grainy output, but can be tamed down in post.

how about a 200mm f2.8 + Pentax K-x, if you shoot almost exclusively lowlight? it's the one best suited for high ISO photography..

however if you consider indoor WB to be an important factor too, k-7 will do better in this aspect. ISO 1600 is usable. above that, the downside is k-7 gives more grainy output, but can be tamed down in post.

k-x would definitely be better in low light but you get smaller ,dimmer ,viewfinder , and a more "lousy" AWB than k-7 but is clearly a winner in low light:D and also thoes lens you mentioned are quite expensive :sweat: or you could do with a FA50mm 1.4 ? since the picture you took was only at 61mm ?
Didn't you think of buying an adapter for OM/C/N/P Mount to M4/3 mount ? Then you could use a fast lens on your EP-1 , thus saving money from having 2 system cameras?​

Read DPReview of Kx, sounded like an excellent camera. Also checked the price list in this forum, Kx body is at $740, which is a good price.

DPReview mentioned that the Kx has no visible AF points in the view finder, what does that means? As in one would not know which is the AF point when taking picture? Isn't it quite hard to do framing then?

k-x would definitely be better in low light but you get smaller ,dimmer ,viewfinder , and a more "lousy" AWB than k-7 but is clearly a winner in low light:D and also thoes lens you mentioned are quite expensive :sweat: or you could do with a FA50mm 1.4 ? since the picture you took was only at 61mm ?
Didn't you think of buying an adapter for OM/C/N/P Mount to M4/3 mount ? Then you could use a fast lens on your EP-1 , thus saving money from having 2 system cameras?​

Hi, 61 mm in m4/3 = 122 mm in 35mm speak. So, to map it back to K7/Kx which has a 1.5 crop factor, I will need about 80mm.

Buying adapter for OM/C/N/P mount for my E-P1 is definitely a good option, the only catch there is I would have to do manual focus. I prefer auto focus so will put this adapter option lower down the priority list. In addition, my E-P1 does not have EVF, manual focus using the LCD screen will be a big challenge.

Thanks for your insight into differences between K7/Kx. Appreciate it.

Read DPReview of Kx, sounded like an excellent camera. Also checked the price list in this forum, Kx body is at $740, which is a good price.

DPReview mentioned that the Kx has no visible AF points in the view finder, what does that means? As in one would not know which is the AF point when taking picture? Isn't it quite hard to do framing then?

Only if you use auto AF point.. but then you won't usually care which is the point selected by the system.

Most of us use center point AF. In which case the AF point is always the center...

Just read DPreview on K7 page to page. What is interesting to me is that the weakness in high ISO performance seems to be limited to jpeg, when shooting in RAW, it evens out with competitions. This is really good to know.

Is this the experience of current K7 users?

Just read DPreview on K7 page to page. What is interesting to me is that the weakness in high ISO performance seems to be limited to jpeg, when shooting in RAW, it evens out with competitions. This is really good to know.

Is this the experience of current K7 users?

more or less on par may be true, but IMO still visibly noisier. however i find the grain characteristics is good in a way that you can play it into a strength with a little post-treatment/noise reduction :)

you may select AF point, it should show on the LCD, but what you see is always a confirmation in the center of your VF..i wouldn't call it "quite hard to frame", maybe annoying...try it to find out, may be you'd find yourself using center AF instead..;)

Only if you use auto AF point.. but then you won't usually care which is the point selected by the system.

Most of us use center point AF. In which case the AF point is always the center...

Actually I do care where the focus point is. I don't use auto or some of these intelligent mode of my cam because of unpredictable focus point, but in my E-P1, I can see which subject is used for focus and it is very useful.

I shoot in P mode most of the time and I set my cam to have center focus, I still find it useful if the focus area shows up in the screen/view finder. Quite personal choice I supposed.

Based on what I read in DPReview, it seems like the K7 behave the same way as the Kx? Did I read it right?

you may select AF point, it should show on the LCD, but what you see is always a confirmation in the center of your VF..i wouldn't call it "quite hard to frame", maybe annoying...try it to find out, may be you'd find yourself using center AF instead..;)

Thanks. I do use center focus almost exclusively.

Spent considerable amount of time reading up reviews this past day.

The K7 vs Kx question remained in my head.

Kx seems to excel in almost all areas IQ wise, the downside is that it is not built as well and does not have weather proof. It also lose dedicated buttons and top LCD but gained a smaller body.

K7 has a tank like build, weather proof and top dog in Pentax line up. It has many things going for it except high ISO. DPreview said high ISO will not be a concern if one shot in RAW.

With Kx body at near half the price of K7, it is indeed a tough choice plus may be Pentax will refresh the K7 with Kx's sensor?

I am certain that I will get those FA ltd lenses, it should work as well in either body.

Decisions, decisions ...

Spent considerable amount of time reading up reviews this past day.

The K7 vs Kx question remained in my head.

Kx seems to excel in almost all areas IQ wise, the downside is that it is not built as well and does not have weather proof. It also lose dedicated buttons and top LCD but gained a smaller body.

K7 has a tank like build, weather proof and top dog in Pentax line up. It has many things going for it except high ISO. DPreview said high ISO will not be a concern if one shot in RAW.

With Kx body at near half the price of K7, it is indeed a tough choice plus may be Pentax will refresh the K7 with Kx's sensor?
Unlikely but if a new DSLR comes out it will be with a better sensor than the K-x.

I am certain that I will get those FA ltd lenses, it should work as well in either body.

Decisions, decisions ...

Get the K7 lah . . .:devil:

Last edited:
Based on what I read in DPReview, it seems like the K7 behave the same way as the Kx? Did I read it right?

Thanks. I do use center focus almost exclusively.

k-7's selected AF point will show up in the VF as well, at the same location..

and i'll not take part in speculation about k-x sensor into the k-7, as i dislike the sensor in the k-x for certain performance parameters that i feel aren't quite up to standard.

i once read more into the details of these 2 sensors but now that knowledge is all in the dust, i feel it's no point bringing them up and splitting hairs again.

all i can say is, k-x and k-7 have been engineered thoughtfully and are strong performers in their respective target market.

as a hobby shooter, you can't go wrong with either. i believe tho, the control and build quality of the k-7 will win over many, whereas to the budget-conscious, they'll go for the k-x.

in the final decision, sensor hardly plays a major part, i feel..

Last edited:
Get the K7 lah . . .:devil:

Ok, placed an order of K7 body with Parisilk. Also bought DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 :lovegrin:

It seems like FA 31 limited is very hard to find in Singapore, so, I ordered one through B&H, should be here in a week.

Hopefully by early next week, all the gear will be in.

Ok, placed an order of K7 body with Parisilk. Also bought DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 :lovegrin:

It seems like FA 31 limited is very hard to find in Singapore, so, I ordered one through B&H, should be here in a week.

Hopefully by early next week, all the gear will be in.

How much does it cost at Parisilk?

How much does it cost at Parisilk?

K7 body and DA* lens are very close to SLR R price. I was at SLR R but they do not have stock. Parisilk promised to give me tomorrow so I am eagerly waiting.

FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited from B&H is US$1,009 all in.

K7 body and DA* lens are very close to SLR R price. I was at SLR R but they do not have stock. Parisilk promised to give me tomorrow so I am eagerly waiting.

FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited from B&H is US$1,009 all in.

Bec I reserved their lst one and collected this afternoon . . . ;p :devil:

Bec I reserved their lst one and collected this afternoon . . . ;p :devil:

Ah so you are the one. They told me they have the last set waiting for collection. I failed to tempt them to sell to me by saying I would buy a few lenses to complete the purchase. They have good biz ethic.

Ah so you are the one. They told me they have the last set waiting for collection. I failed to tempt them to sell to me by saying I would buy a few lenses to complete the purchase. They have good biz ethic.

Called them on Friday and reserved the K7 and the dual kit lens. So left the kit lens to collect only . . .

Last edited: