K5IIs Review and K5IIs vs K5 @ PentaxForums

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
I guess some of you have already read this:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Overall the impression is pretty good:
The K-5 IIs is an impressive camera, and it's the first APS-C DSLR of its kind. While we can't refute that removing the AA filter is an easy way for manufacturers to increase the resolution of a camera, this move shows that Pentax is staying true to their motto of "being different". In addition, the K-5 IIs is what added true appeal of the K-5 II launch announcement. Without it, we fear that many would be questioning Pentax's decisions even more than they are today.

It's undeniable that the K-5 IIs is capable of taking sharper photos than the K-5 in the hands of the right user. We will leave it up to you to decide how big of an impact this would have on your photography.

Thanks to its increased resolution, the K-5 IIs receives a 10/10 for image quality while the K-5 II and K-5 have been bumped down to a 9. We find that at the end of the day, the K-5 IIs's capabilities are not to be overlooked. NB: image quality ratings are within the scope of APS-C only.

Pentax K-5 II and IIs Pros and Cons (without looking back at the K-5):

+ Best-in-class image quality
+ Low noise
+ Weather-sealed body
+ Excellent handling
+ Superb low-light autofocus
+ Fast burst frame rate and 1/8000s max shutter
+ Intuitive interface with many dedicated buttons
+ Good value
- Overall performance is slow
- No manual video controls
- No focus peaking and sluggish live view
- Slow SD write speed compared to other brands
- 11-point AF comparatively poor for sports
- AVI video files can be tedious to work with
- Somewhat small body w/o battery grip

An added pro of the K-5 IIs is increased resolution, with higher risk of moire being the associated con.
The K-5 II is ideal for: outdoor photographers, still shooters, low-light outdoor applications.
The K-5 II is not so great for: action photography, video, and beginners.
Who is the K-5 IIs for? Enthusiast photographers who understand the risks associated with a filterless sensor design.

The Future?
The Future and Who Should Upgrade
Pentax has future plans which include the introduction of a high-end APS-C DSLR as well as a full-frame DSLR. At this point, it's not a question of whether or not these cameras will come, but rather when. For those who do not want to wait a year or more for these advanced cameras and are currently using the K-5, it makes sense to upgrade to the the K-5 IIs. Similarly, those using other Pentax cameras will greatly benefit from the upgrades in the K-5 compared to older bodies such as the K-x or K10D, but may prefer to go for the cheaper K-5 rather than the K-5 II.

I am just wondering if K30 is a better stop gap option for now. Seems like the next release should be revolutionary rather than evolutionary.

I am just wondering if K30 is a better stop gap option for now. Seems like the next release should be revolutionary rather than evolutionary.

Well, I'm sure K30 has its lovers (me included ;)). But K5IIs will be a step up in low light auto focusing, battery, resolution (due to removal of AA filter) and whatever K5 has over K30.

If you already have a K5, you might think of getting a K5IIs if you really want to upgrade. But if you are a K10D/K20D/Kx/Kr ... user, a K5 might be a better option due to its lower price, even it's 2 years already..

Don't know if you can still find a K5 in any local shop though. Local Pentax market has been pretty quiet in the past month due to the change of Pentax distributor.

.....But if you are a K10D/K20D/Kx/Kr ... user, a K5 might be a better option due to its lower price, even it's 2 years already..

This means the K7 users too?

That's why I'm quite "sian"... Dunno to go for K30 or K5... LoL!

That's why I'm quite "sian"... Dunno to go for K30 or K5... LoL!

If i have the chance to choose again,i most likely will find the silver limited edition k5 with the deeper grips..instead of the normal k5 as i love the feel of the grip on the limited edition :( but i will choose k30 if i need peaking since k5 dun have,but happy with the k5 as it is my skills that are limiting the camera instead currently..not the other way round

holding Kx, wait for the full-frame DSLR :)

no thanks to recommend upgrade + still learning and my cabinet full unless got sponsor for a good 50mm then my armoury will be filled from berretta to .50calibre weapons muahahahaha

no thanks to recommend upgrade + still learning and my cabinet full unless got sponsor for a good 50mm then my armoury will be filled from berretta to .50calibre weapons muahahahaha

I got a nice new DA50/1.8 to let go, great match to your DA35/2.4. Interested? ;)

Thanks. Think its quite dark to take photos as per the Youtube video. Personally, just want the AF to be more precise rather than focus on other objects which is not what you want in the frame.

When is available in Singapore? can we have a group pre-order.

Just wondering aloud as I just saw this - they revised other pentax camera scores for IQ down - shouldn't they do so for all cameras as well? :dunno:

DPR studio shots also up. It does provides a good comparison between K5IIs and Nikon D600 and Canon 5DMKIII. Just play around with the options. The K5IIs somehow is on par with the FF cameras. Below is courtesy of DPReview.

Studio shot comparison: Digital Photography Review

I guess some of you have already read this:
Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Overall the impression is pretty good:
The K-5 IIs is an impressive camera, and it's the first APS-C DSLR of its kind. While we can't refute that removing the AA filter is an easy way for manufacturers to increase the resolution of a camera, this move shows that Pentax is staying true to their motto of "being different". In addition, the K-5 IIs is what added true appeal of the K-5 II launch announcement. Without it, we fear that many would be questioning Pentax's decisions even more than they are today.

It's undeniable that the K-5 IIs is capable of taking sharper photos than the K-5 in the hands of the right user. We will leave it up to you to decide how big of an impact this would have on your photography.

Thanks to its increased resolution, the K-5 IIs receives a 10/10 for image quality while the K-5 II and K-5 have been bumped down to a 9. We find that at the end of the day, the K-5 IIs's capabilities are not to be overlooked. NB: image quality ratings are within the scope of APS-C only.

Pentax K-5 II and IIs Pros and Cons (without looking back at the K-5):

+ Best-in-class image quality
+ Low noise
+ Weather-sealed body
+ Excellent handling
+ Superb low-light autofocus
+ Fast burst frame rate and 1/8000s max shutter
+ Intuitive interface with many dedicated buttons
+ Good value
- Overall performance is slow
- No manual video controls
- No focus peaking and sluggish live view
- Slow SD write speed compared to other brands
- 11-point AF comparatively poor for sports
- AVI video files can be tedious to work with
- Somewhat small body w/o battery grip

An added pro of the K-5 IIs is increased resolution, with higher risk of moire being the associated con.
The K-5 II is ideal for: outdoor photographers, still shooters, low-light outdoor applications.
The K-5 II is not so great for: action photography, video, and beginners.
Who is the K-5 IIs for? Enthusiast photographers who understand the risks associated with a filterless sensor design.

The Future?
The Future and Who Should Upgrade
Pentax has future plans which include the introduction of a high-end APS-C DSLR as well as a full-frame DSLR. At this point, it's not a question of whether or not these cameras will come, but rather when. For those who do not want to wait a year or more for these advanced cameras and are currently using the K-5, it makes sense to upgrade to the the K-5 IIs. Similarly, those using other Pentax cameras will greatly benefit from the upgrades in the K-5 compared to older bodies such as the K-x or K10D, but may prefer to go for the cheaper K-5 rather than the K-5 II.

I am about to off load all Pentax lens.. after reading your post I guess better stay put for now.