K5_First impression

Weird. When I go into Movie mode, SR is automatically switched off. So my videos do look wobbly though. -___-"" I do not hear whirling sounds. Also when the thermometer logo comes out, the video also will become choppy. That's like 3minutes into recording under hot and humid environment. I do hope Pentax can come out with a firmware which can address this problem. The red colored thermometer does makes me worry that I may 'hurt' the camera unintentionally.
I guess one would face the same issue even in other brands....Video shooting in a hot and humid environment will raise the temperature of the body rapidly...But 3 minutes is a bit too short...

Judging from the comments above, pentax community is hard to please.. haha

I'm not displeased by the camera, don't get me wrong. No camera is perfect; we will always want something more. :) Frankly speaking, when I used the K20D I actually did not like the dual wheel for some perculiar reason - yet everyone loves dual wheels..

I guess one would face the same issue even in other brands....Video shooting in a hot and humid environment will raise the temperature of the body rapidly...But 3 minutes is a bit too short...

Not to make the wrong impression on the K5. I take videos in 2-3mins intervals. Start and stop. So after a few rounds, I guess heat will built up and perhaps taking photos itself will generate heat. I guess I might have been overly trigger happy with the K5. :p Anyway I am still a very satisfied user esp on the photos which looks very clean and sharp. =)

Note : Most of the heat felt is at the hand grip area. I guess they should have spread the heat evenly across the body esp to the top. Hot air raises anyways.

I'm not displeased by the camera, don't get me wrong. No camera is perfect; we will always want something more. :) Frankly speaking, when I used the K20D I actually did not like the dual wheel for some perculiar reason - yet everyone loves dual wheels..

The wheels help alot in terms of adjusting the functions. Its well implemented. I keep thinking the wheels can be toggled just like the GH-1. -___-"" Anyway toggling will surely add more complexity to the device. Maybe at times, best to keep things simple.

The wheels help alot in terms of adjusting the functions. Its well implemented. I keep thinking the wheels can be toggled just like the GH-1. -___-"" Anyway toggling will surely add more complexity to the device. Maybe at times, best to keep things simple.

I just prefer the single wheel, it's a personal preference... I never could get the hang of moving the front wheel, somehow it's not as intuitive as just rolling one wheel all the time and pressing a button to toggle haha..

That's just me , of course - as mentioned in my previous post most people seem to like dual wheels.

I just prefer the single wheel, it's a personal preference... I never could get the hang of moving the front wheel, somehow it's not as intuitive as just rolling one wheel all the time and pressing a button to toggle haha..

That's just me , of course - as mentioned in my previous post most people seem to like dual wheels.

1 single reply and you slap all the lower end canikon models in the face with that front wheel thing :p
joking joking~ lol

:cry:wanna buy, but too expensive
Actually it's not expensive. When I bought the Pentax Z1 with a kit lens in 1992, it cost $1500. Then the money value is higher than now.
One of the reason why I didn't consider getting the K5 at first was that it can take HD video. That was the same reason why I didn't get the K7. There's no point in taking HD video with an SLR because you can't take more than a few minutes. I have 3 Panasonic HD videocams & they are my workhorses. The salesman at Alanphoto told me that Pentax will not produce a new model without HD video & I have to decide on the K5 or not at all.

Actually it's not expensive. When I bought the Pentax Z1 with a kit lens in 1992, it cost $1500. Then the money value is higher than now.
One of the reason why I didn't consider getting the K5 at first was that it can take HD video. That was the same reason why I didn't get the K7. There's no point in taking HD video with an SLR because you can't take more than a few minutes. I have 3 Panasonic HD videocams & they are my workhorses. The salesman at Alanphoto told me that Pentax will not produce a new model without HD video & I have to decide on the K5 or not at all.

I don't get your logic, you don't want an SLR that takes HD video.
Maybe you can try NOT using the video function?

8. I can't seem to use the directional buttons for adjusting WB, drive mode, etc when my AF switch is flicked to manual focusing points(SEL). The 4-directional buttons are used for selection of focusing points. Anyone can solve this for me?

You have to press the OK button for about 3 secs to toggle between AF point and function selection.

Last edited:
Just curious. Will the new SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC Card improve the performance of the K5? I am currently using the Extreme III but find that at times, write speed is kinda slow. Taking into consideration the JPEG quality is 4 stars and at times RAW + JPEG together and other functions are not switched on.

The speed of writing becomes worst if Lens correction functions (Chroma and distortion) are switched on.

Just curious. Will the new SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC Card improve the performance of the K5? I am currently using the Extreme III but find that at times, write speed is kinda slow. Taking into consideration the JPEG quality is 4 stars and at times RAW + JPEG together and other functions are not switched on.

The speed of writing becomes worst if Lens correction functions (Chroma and distortion) are switched on.

It will help but the improvement may not be too evident..... it also depends on how fast the camera can clear its buffer.

Last edited:
It will help but the improvement may not be too evident..... it also depends on how fast the camera can clear its buffer.

I really hope Pentax engineers will continue to tweak the firmware and surprise us with better performance. =)

I really hope Pentax engineers will continue to tweak the firmware and surprise us with better performance. =)

not to diss pentax engineers but i do believe that firmware updates can only go so far. :) my hope is that they come up with something much better in their next product.

If you are already using the Extreme III then I doubt you will see much of a difference. You will only see the difference when you are shooting in burst mode - the Extreme Pro will let the camera clear its buffer faster (but not really a lot faster also lol).

I believe the bottleneck is due to the relatively old processor in the K-5 - its not really able to keep up with the massive size of the K-5 RAW and JPEG files.

If you are already using the Extreme III then I doubt you will see much of a difference. You will only see the difference when you are shooting in burst mode - the Extreme Pro will let the camera clear its buffer faster (but not really a lot faster also lol).

I believe the bottleneck is due to the relatively old processor in the K-5 - its not really able to keep up with the massive size of the K-5 RAW and JPEG files.

Oh well, not really a biggie. I guess I gotta learn how to be more patient. :sweatsm:

Yesterday decided to use the X sync & hooked up my 7 year old Nissin hammerhead. Shutter fixed at 1/180 F8.0 all the way. The flash have an external diffuser & the results are better than my 540 flashgun. When used with 16-50mm there's no dark spot at the edges. Better than TTL. See whether can find a good used Metz hammerhead.