K5_First impression

It begins to dawn on me that it is no fault of K5 for lacking in the AF-C department but me for taking the plunge lol. Case closed and let's move on.

K5 is just a camera and all cameras have faults. I have it for 4 months and I am still wrestling with it. At times when I could control it, I smile as I love what I see on my PC monitor. So, lately, despite my frustration, I have begun to learn how to live with it. It will take a similar guy who has gone through similar experiences to appreciate such problems, so, I will suggest you try out the K5 more thoroughly. There are a few guys here who can be helpful and I will also suggest you seek them out. They are the Pentax long time users, and they know how to get around most of Pentax shortcomings. Cheers.

Using a 3rd party grip . No need to press the AF button and shutter button together also .

Very strange. Now I remove the grip & put it back - it works normally. Guess I didn't attach it properly. Thanks guys.

Original battery = 1000+ shots
DiviPower battery = 1000+ shots

Even I use a DealExtreme grip and I have no issues with that.

I just got my K5 (with DA*16-50mm F2.8) and would like to seek some advice.

1. Does K5 have focusing issues under yellow light? It seems like I always lose AF and using the AF button on the camera does not help to achieve AF. Switching off and On doesn't help. Any solutions to that?
2. I do feel that the SR is making the AF lags. I guess its rather buggy. Switching it off does help alot and AF faster. I do not turn on the auto chromatic and distortion correction function.
3. Taking full HD movie (25fps), the SR is automatically off. No way to turn it on? Also is the movie limited to approx. 5mins?

Previously I was using the Panny GH-1. Still learning how to use it. Photos wise, it does look fantastic and clean at high ISO (3200).

Just upgraded to K-5 Silver from my trusty K-x
My First impressions are:

1. Very light for a top end cropped body.
2. Chunky grip, very nice to hold, but it's a Silver, i think the grip is slightly bigger than the normal black k-5
3. AF is fast! At least compared to my k-x, and focusing motor is quiet too.
4. Shutter sound is close to inaudible, unless you're in a quiet place.(Kinda miss the good old mechanical cluck cluck cluck of my k-x)
5. Color rendition is very very different from K-x, and coming as a K-x user, I did notice a green tint(K-x is a tad more magenta), as reported by some other users.(compared RAW images, shot with the same lens, on AWB). But according to my eagle eye girlfriend, she prefers K-5's more natural color. As for me, indoor shots can be a little unnatural depends on the lighting(custom WB fixes this quite well), but outdoor shots are pure joy to look at, especially paired with pentax lenses. I wasn't too happy on the spot by looking at the LCD, but i had a big smile on my face when the photos are viewed from my computer.(Just covered my girlfriend's graduation ceremony.)
6. Long battery life, got about 1k shots so far from first charge, it showed red, but now it's back to yellow :p
7. ISO performance seem short of my expectations, haven't done direct comparison, but i kinda feel that it can look better if it only had 12mp.
8. I can't seem to use the directional buttons for adjusting WB, drive mode, etc when my AF switch is flicked to manual focusing points(SEL). The 4-directional buttons are used for selection of focusing points. Anyone can solve this for me?
9. I shoot RAW, that means i might need to get another card for my holiday vacation, simply coz it's 16MP, oh well, thats just my rant.

Thats about it.
I hope someone could shed some light on my point No.8.
And, what are your Noise Reduction settings on your K-5? Please share :p
Thanks!

Congrats guys on your new cameras :)

To evolutioner, you can press and hold the 'ok' button for a second or so to toggle the 4-way buttons to adjusting WB/drive mode and etc... Press and hold it again to toggle back to focusing point selection :)

To evolutioner, you can press and hold the 'ok' button for a second or so to toggle the 4-way buttons to adjusting WB/drive mode and etc... Press and hold it again to toggle back to focusing point selection :)

Aw... thanks for the quick reply! Should have asked this question earlier, so I didn't have to struggle yesterday.

Actually, personally I prefer the old function button thing, but that's probably because I need to change AF point faster and more often than I need to change other settings like ISO, timer, etc.

pressing the ok to wait for it to toggle kinda not use to it... even until now... everytime must check which mode im in...

actually i still prefer the K20D ergonomics... more practical and faster... they should just put the K-5 sensor into the K20D body...

pressing the ok to wait for it to toggle kinda not use to it... even until now... everytime must check which mode im in...

actually i still prefer the K20D ergonomics... more practical and faster... they should just put the K-5 sensor into the K20D body...

The layout la, but I like the K-5 size. :heart:

Judging from the comments above, pentax community is hard to please.. haha

I just got my K5 (with DA*16-50mm F2.8) and would like to seek some advice.
2. I do feel that the SR is making the AF lags. I guess its rather buggy. Switching it off does help alot and AF faster.

This is an interesting observation, but I don't see a link between the AF module and the SR/sensor module. When the camera is doing focusing, the light gets deflected by the mirror to the focusing module, so it doesn't touch the sensor at all until the shot is taken. This is as compared to mirrorless systems where the sensor itself is involved in autofocus.

But no harm giving it a try though to see whether there really is a link. Unfortunately the scenarios where the AF starts to lag (low light) is also the same scenario where SR will be very useful....

Just upgraded to K-5 Silver from my trusty K-x
My First impressions are:

1. Very light for a top end cropped body.
2. Chunky grip, very nice to hold, but it's a Silver, i think the grip is slightly bigger than the normal black k-5
3. AF is fast! At least compared to my k-x, and focusing motor is quiet too.
4. Shutter sound is close to inaudible, unless you're in a quiet place.(Kinda miss the good old mechanical cluck cluck cluck of my k-x)
5. Color rendition is very very different from K-x, and coming as a K-x user, I did notice a green tint(K-x is a tad more magenta), as reported by some other users.(compared RAW images, shot with the same lens, on AWB). But according to my eagle eye girlfriend, she prefers K-5's more natural color. As for me, indoor shots can be a little unnatural depends on the lighting(custom WB fixes this quite well), but outdoor shots are pure joy to look at, especially paired with pentax lenses. I wasn't too happy on the spot by looking at the LCD, but i had a big smile on my face when the photos are viewed from my computer.(Just covered my girlfriend's graduation ceremony.)
6. Long battery life, got about 1k shots so far from first charge, it showed red, but now it's back to yellow :p
7. ISO performance seem short of my expectations, haven't done direct comparison, but i kinda feel that it can look better if it only had 12mp.
8. I can't seem to use the directional buttons for adjusting WB, drive mode, etc when my AF switch is flicked to manual focusing points(SEL). The 4-directional buttons are used for selection of focusing points. Anyone can solve this for me?
9. I shoot RAW, that means i might need to get another card for my holiday vacation, simply coz it's 16MP, oh well, thats just my rant.

Thats about it.
I hope someone could shed some light on my point No.8.
And, what are your Noise Reduction settings on your K-5? Please share :p
Thanks!

Congrats! That is a good camera...
One thing though...I was wondering if you could check this out for me....When you switch to the video mode and switch to Live View...do you hear a mechanical whirring sound from the camera? I am getting this sound in mine....Did not notice it till yesterday though....

:cry:wanna buy, but too expensive

Congrats! That is a good camera...
One thing though...I was wondering if you could check this out for me....When you switch to the video mode and switch to Live View...do you hear a mechanical whirring sound from the camera? I am getting this sound in mine....Did not notice it till yesterday though....

I noticed the same thing ever since i'm using my k-x, it's the SR module if i'm not wrong, try disabling it. Speaking of which, I've never actually activated LV on my K-5 before. :p

I noticed the same thing ever since i'm using my k-x, it's the SR module if i'm not wrong, try disabling it. Speaking of which, I've never actually activated LV on my K-5 before. :p

Weird. When I go into Movie mode, SR is automatically switched off. So my videos do look wobbly though. -___-"" I do not hear whirling sounds. Also when the thermometer logo comes out, the video also will become choppy. That's like 3minutes into recording under hot and humid environment. I do hope Pentax can come out with a firmware which can address this problem. The red colored thermometer does makes me worry that I may 'hurt' the camera unintentionally.