K5 or K30

cnotsniw96

Jun 22, 2012
singapore
Hi, I'm considering getting my first DSLR. What's the advantage of K30 over K5? Based on the specs i have read, the changes dont seem to be major. Did i miss something out?

I've posted this in HWZ but no replies there.

Thanks guys.:angel:

i guess the main differences are:

1) $300 more for the k5
2) 14 bit on k5 vs 12 bit raw on k30. valid only if u shoot raw
3) faster? focusing for k30 through viewfinder (heard its nt tt drastic, but an improvement nonetheless)
4) better live view focusing on k30
5) focus peaking on k30, useful for manual focusing
6) many many colors for k30 lol
7) top LCD for k5, none on k30
8) k5 has battery grip k30 doesnt
9) k30 images slightly sharper due to thinner AA filter

i guess these wld be the main differences, and see what you need.

Personally, I would just go for the K30.

1. Lighter
2. Cost less
3. Supposed improved AF module and algo (I'm optimistic that its going to be better; its been 2yrs+ since K5)
4. Focus peaking

12bit vs 14bit RAW, personally I don't find its worth fussing over in most real world usage.
Maybe important to someone who is very fussy about 'absolute' quality (as opposed to practical quality) and has a workflow that is very lossless (ie. works mainly in RAW and TIFF)

IMO, point for battery grip option is moot in this day and age. It does not add FPS or increase/give film motor drive like in the old days of film cameras. For battery life, just pop in a fresh battery (which is small and lighter than the grip). Only advantage is portrait orientation shooting with the extra button on the grip.

try molest both cameras at shop, then decide which one you like better.

and don't bother much about specs... ;p

The most important improvement on K30 over K5 would be:
1) better AutoFocusing w/ newer AF module SAFOX IXi+ (K5 AF module is SAFOX IX+)
2) better ManualFocusing w/ liveview focus peaking and better LCD screen (sharper, more saturate colors...)
3) better video quality w/ Prime M image processing engine (which is optimized for HD video capture, smoother liveview ... )
4) dual battery support w/o using battery grip (to use AA battery, you have to use battery grip on K5), but need dedicated battery holder (which cost a few dollars only if buy third party one)
5) cheaper and slightly smaller/lighter

Some advantages on K5 over K30:
1) faster FPS burst (7 vs 6 fps, no biggie)
2) metal body
3) top lcd
4) a few more dedicated buttons (eg separate AF and AE-L, AF number of points selection switch)
5) faster max shutter speed 1/8000 (1/6000 on K30)
6) provision for battery grip
7) 14 bit RAW (12bit on K30)
8) 80 - 51200 ISO (100 - 25600 on K30)
9) expanded bracketing choices
10) expanded user modes (5 on K5 vs 2 on K30)
11) longer battery life (1000+ clicks on K5 vs ~450 shots on K30)
12) HDMI out
13) microphone jack
14) DOF preview on the on/off switch
15) More effective self sensor cleaning (K30 just shakes sensor, K-5 includes some ultra sonic magic that is very effective).

To me most users might benefit more from those improvement on K30 than those advantages on K5 'cause most guys (me included) probably would never use stuff like DOF preview HDMI output or MIC input, 14bit raw might not make any difference from 12bit if you don't shoot RAW or if you don't know how to process....

I'd go w/ K30 from these two if given the choice, the only thing I probably would miss is the super long battery life on K5 (but K30 battery life isn't bad at all, especially if Lithium AA batteries are used).

Last edited:
Very informative!

I was a K5 user and planning to jump back to Pentax. Maybe K30 would be a wise choice :p

Hi guys, thanks for the quick reply.

Good that k30 will be about $300 cheaper. Can use the diff for another lens.

I'm not too concerned about the other advantages of the K5 other than the ultra sonic cleaning part. Is the effectiveness or rather lack of really obvious? And would it have a major impact on picture quality?

Alright, now that Fengwei has mentioned the K30 will be out this week, need your expertise and suggestions on lenses and accessories and if possible, the estimated costs. I'm totally new to DSLR btw.

Lenses:
Ultra Wide for Scenary/Landscapes
Telezoom (up to 300mm maybe?)

Filters:
Been seeing comments on ND filters and such. Not too sure how they work and whether useful. Do i need them?

Dry Cabinet:
Brand? Size?

Accessories:
Blower/Lens cleaner?
Bag. As i like to walk/run and take photos at the same time, need 1 that can carry the gear plus tripod.
Extra batt?

Others:
Not needed now - flash
Already have - tripod.

Did i miss anything to be bought for starting out on a DSLR?

Lastly, the recommended place to shop and again estimated prices as i do not want to be fleeced :p

Cheers :)

Last edited:
All pentax KAF mount will fit whatever pentax Kmount DSLR you holds and I probably will have to wait till next year for rainbow K30s to come hahahaha

Hi guys, thanks for the quick reply.

Good that k30 will be about $300 cheaper. Can use the diff for another lens.

Well, I never used the ultra sonic cleaning part on my K5. I feel a simple blow w/ a strong blower is much more effective :). And no, it won't affect image quality.

For ultra wide lenses, you can go w/ DA12-24 or Sigma 10-20 or even the 8-16, or Tamron 10-24. All are good enough for general use.
For tele zoom lens, the DA55-300 would be a good start. The Tamron/Sigma 70-300 are pretty good too, but make sure you get the latest versions. If got money, go for DA*60-250.

If you don't know how to use an ND or CPL filter, can save it for later. People shoot w/o any ND or CPL filters all the time.

Dry Cabinet depends on your lens/camera collection. Are you gonna put in a lot effort (and money) into this hobby? If so, at least get a 100L one. You can use the extra space for other stuff like important documents/spare mobile phones/anything you can squeeze in. If just for casual shooting w/ a few lenses only, a 30L dry cabi would be good start. I don't think there is big difference between different brands, I myself use a DryCabi (120L) and a AIPO (135L). But I see people use other brands too.

You definitely need a good set of blower and lens cleaner. I'd suggest to go w/ the Gitzo Rocket blower, get the biggest one, cost 10 to 15 (at Cathay Photo or other shops). For lens cleaner, I always use Eclips lens cleanser and PacPad lens paper (available at Cathay Photo, Orient Photo and etc.). A bit exp, but well worth the cost imo. Can use them to clean sensors and focus screen too.

For camera bag, it's really just personal preference. I'd suggest to go w/ more comfy type like Crumpler 6 Million Dollar (good for one body w/ 3 lenses, or 2 lenses and a flash, plus lots of accessories). Can use dedicate tripod bag to carry the tripod if you don't carry it so often.

If you buy K-30, you probably already have some rechargeable AA batteries somewhere, can use those w/ an AA adapter (might get it FOC if you buy the camera from pentaxwebstore). I'd go w/ AAs instead of another Li-Ion battery for K-30.

Flash can always buy later. You might need one or two fast SD card. I'd go w/ Sandisk Extreme 30MB/s type at least. Nowadays very cheap.

The best place to buy Pentax cameras and lenses would be the PentaxWebstore :)

Cheers and happy shopping.

Last edited:
K30 Body $784
DA12-24 $1100
DA55-300 $450
Total $2334.
GST $163.38
Grand Total : $2497.38 (Accessories not included ...)

Serious damage coming up... lol

K30 Body $784
DA12-24 $1100
DA55-300 $450
Total $2334.
GST $163.38
Grand Total : $2497.38 (Accessories not included ...)

Serious damage coming up... lol

you should replace the 55-300 with DA*60-250..better IQ and WR also :devil:

you should replace the 55-300 with DA*60-250..better IQ and WR also :devil:

DA*60-250: $2020 :cry:

maybe if pentaxwebstore able to give better price for total package that im getting.... and if i can get it to neighbouring country and save additional GST ... maybe ... just maybe :dunno:

the place that I got my DAL 55-300 is at OP 300plus only leh. Maybe you wanna get the sigma 10-20 and the 18-135 or just wait by the market for DAL 55-300 at 300.The pentax 100mm WR is 850 and if there is one within 600 I don't mind

the place that I got my DAL 55-300 is at OP 300plus only leh. Maybe you wanna get the sigma 10-20 and the 18-135 or just wait by the market for DAL 55-300 at 300.The pentax 100mm WR is 850 and if there is one within 600 I don't mind

Well, yes. I am not restricting myself to Pentax only lenses and I do intend to go down to those retail shops like OP to test out the body/lens and get a quote. Hopefully, will get a better overall package there.

DA*60-250: $2020 :cry:

maybe if pentaxwebstore able to give better price for total package that im getting.... and if i can get it to neighbouring country and save additional GST ... maybe ... just maybe :dunno:

someone is selling DA 60-250 mint condition at 1800 sgd only in Pentax BnS, can bargain a bit i guess.

it is always good to get a 2nd hand mint copy at cheaper price, if I am not wrong, you can get the DA 55-300 at 300 sgd around in BnS section as well,

DA12-24, if you look hard in Bns, you can get better price as well, as most pre-owned user dont use this very much as it is bulky compared to DA 15 limited

Here is the express way to best Pentax shop:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/buy-sell-pentax-equipment/

Last edited:
I am holding my breath for K3 and, hopefully, the updated 16-50 f2.8