K5 Mirror Flopping?

Bridgerock

Nov 20, 2006
Not sure you guys experience this. Today I updated the K5 with the firmware to 1.11 and was playing around with the camera (with 55-300mm), then out of the blue, I can hear the mirror flopping inside for a few times. Then I half press the shutter to take some photos, and it flopped multiple times within a span of 3-5secs. Zzzz...not sure if something is wrong. Hope the mirror won't drop off due to this unusual occurrence.

u mean like this?

[youtube]YV3R2YXKCyM[/youtube]

u mean like this?

[youtube]YV3R2YXKCyM[/youtube]

Yup....sounds like that. I did not play with the wheels. Only half press the shutter...can hear that. But no photos were taken.

Oh man. Seems like this issue is quite common. Plenty of users getting this problem on pentaxforums recently. May I ask when did you get your camera?

yea.. its a common issue, send it back for service.

in a more serious case, every button/switch on the camera will trigger the same shutter error..

I will check with Emjay and see what they say. I got my camera only in June. It is a Silver version of the K5. -___-"" Never thought this issue will hit me.

I will check with Emjay and see what they say. I got my camera only in June. It is a Silver version of the K5. -___-"" Never thought this issue will hit me.

Wa, that's interesting. Do let us know what they say, I have a trip coming up in Oct and I won't want to have the camera acting up on me then.

Where did you get your camera from, locally?

Last edited:
Sheat... I just bought my K5. Havent got it on my hands yet. Hope it doesnt happen to me

Wa, that's interesting. Do let us know what they say, I have a trip coming up in Oct and I won't want to have the camera acting up on me then.

Where did you get your camera from, locally?

I got my camera from SLRR. I am super low morale already.

I got my camera from SLRR. I am super low morale already.

Just check with Emjay and make sure that they have the parts ready before you send it in for repairs?

I won't worry too much about it if it was just a once off thing... And to be honest, while there has been a fair amount of noise in PF about this, it doesn't seem very widespread - but I do not frequent PF forums so I'm not sure if that relatively small response after nearly a week is indicative that this is a limited problem that doesn't occur to every single unit of K-5 out there.

Welcome to the club. It gets worse from here, heard they take ages to fix it because they're always waiting for parts or they don't know what's wrong with the camera. Good luck, mine is suffering from the same problem but I haven't sent it in for repair yet, no time.

Welcome to the club. It gets worse from here, heard they take ages to fix it because they're always waiting for parts or they don't know what's wrong with the camera. Good luck, mine is suffering from the same problem but I haven't sent it in for repair yet, no time.

How bad is it, does it make it impossible to shoot, or is it just irritating?

For me, I still can take photos. Its like the camera suddenly activate its shutter. Some may get caught unware and may be shocked!

For me, I still can take photos. Its like the camera suddenly activate its shutter. Some may get caught unware and may be shocked!

I'm wondering if it flops during long exposures, that would be bloody irritating.

I don't really mind if it happens in Singapore and the problem is fixable, but if it happens overseas for a photographic trip I would be really, really pissed - if the camera is absolutely unusable with this syndrome I'd rather grab a K-7 for a song for back up use.

Anyway will wait for Emjay's advice. I can wait. For me, this is my first REAL DSLR and I got such issues. Super sianz...I really hope it can be fixed easily and quickly.

Well u have a full year to fix it should it happen again. I wonder if its a faulty batch of components that affects a certain production run of K5s, or is it a problem in all K5s.

I had this problem with my K-x when i was trying a new lens. whatever button i press could cause the shutter triggered like crazy.
but the problem disappeared right after I unmounted the lens, I thought it was the problem of that lens.
Actually the shop owner mounted that lens to her K-x, her k-x has no problem with the lens at all.
It was wired.
But my K-x has no problem with other lens except that one.

Not sure you guys experience this. Today I updated the K5 with the firmware to 1.11 and was playing around with the camera (with 55-300mm), then out of the blue, I can hear the mirror flopping inside for a few times. Then I half press the shutter to take some photos, and it flopped multiple times within a span of 3-5secs. Zzzz...not sure if something is wrong. Hope the mirror won't drop off due to this unusual occurrence.

Sorry to hear that. {Touch wood} mine is good so far. I wonder if this is a hardware or firmware thing. How often does it happen? Does taking out the battery or resetting the camera help?

not sure if this could be the case..... http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=38904425