K5 Mirror Flopping?

oh damn.. I just got my silver in june as well.. i was hoping it wont ever happen to those silvers..

I'm wondering if it flops during long exposures, that would be bloody irritating.

I don't really mind if it happens in Singapore and the problem is fixable, but if it happens overseas for a photographic trip I would be really, really pissed - if the camera is absolutely unusable with this syndrome I'd rather grab a K-7 for a song for back up use.

Not that bad la, it will get spazzy for a couple of minutes, but within 5 minutes you should be fine. Also when it's doing the double flop you can still shoot fine, only when every button press trips the mirror does it render the camera temporarily unusable.

Sorry to hear that. {Touch wood} mine is good so far. I wonder if this is a hardware or firmware thing. How often does it happen? Does taking out the battery or resetting the camera help?

Mine only happened today after I upgrade the firmware. It is not continuous. Only when I press the shutter button half way it will occur. Last night I tried again to see if I can get the same issue to occur, but did not. Hmmm...but do hope it won't come back to haunt me again. Still I prefer Emjay to provide some advice on how to move forward. i.e sending it back for servicing.

oh damn.. I just got my silver in june as well.. i was hoping it wont ever happen to those silvers..

I avoid getting the black version since so many people complain about stains and etc. So thought the silver one maybe the QC will be more stringent. I guess its just color difference. -___-""" QC still the same group of people...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

I guess your K5 is the very first case w this proble. Hope emjay/Pentax can get it fixed soon.

darrrrrrrrrr said:
Not that bad la, it will get spazzy for a couple of minutes, but within 5 minutes you should be fine. Also when it's doing the double flop you can still shoot fine, only when every button press trips the mirror does it render the camera temporarily unusable.

That's a relief to hear :) Thanks.

Is the camera is not in 'multi shot' mode?

It does happen to mine but only the occasional one shutter press becomes 2 shots.
Happens only once in a while and once in a session, after that, it does not occur.
Its just as if I had "multi-shot slow" mode turned on
It certainly does not loose me any photos.
No worries that it flops midway in a timed exposure. Never happened to me. In fact it never happens if on timer release.
For me, its not something that has made it worth while to go down the service center,

JimRadcliffe suspects battery level :
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/152033-k5-mirror-flops-smoking-gun-found.html
Maybe, since mine usually happens at the start of turning on the camera.

BTW, can I downgrade the firmware to 1.01?

Last edited:
Nope. Single shot. No shots were taken but you can hear the mirror flopping. It sounds like high speed multi-shot but its not. As of now, it is not re-occuring, hope it stays that way.

Nope. Single shot. No shots were taken but you can hear the mirror flopping. It sounds like high speed multi-shot but its not. As of now, it is not re-occuring, hope it stays that way.

What sort of conditions (environment, ambient temperature, battery charge status) did the problem materialise in?

I think I had the same problem on my K7.
I pressed the shutter button once , and the mirror flips twice.
Only using single shot.
Sometimes out of the blue , the mirror also flips on it own.
Off the power button, the mirror flips to normal position.
On the power , camera is working normally again.
Sometimes this problem again, for no reason that I can find.
For my case , overall I have send in my camera to Emjay > Japan >> 3 times
Now I have my K7 back, camera seems to be working properly so far.
Luckily I bought extended warranty.
cheers

Wah that's even worse, shutter going off even when no buttons are pressed

i think something similar happen to me before when i use the k-r with manual 50mm f1.4 and when the shutter is half depress. didnt thought much of it as i dont shoot with the 50mm anymore and i still managed to get the shot that particular day. i turn off my k-r and on it again when it happened. not sure what is wrong as so far it has not happen again with my other lenses.

is it related to a firmware upgrade problem? I do not have this issue le. my firmware is during the low light focus correction 1.03 i think. so far so good.

I think I had the same problem on my K7.
I pressed the shutter button once , and the mirror flips twice.
Only using single shot.
Sometimes out of the blue , the mirror also flips on it own.
Off the power button, the mirror flips to normal position.
On the power , camera is working normally again.
Sometimes this problem again, for no reason that I can find.
For my case , overall I have send in my camera to Emjay > Japan >> 3 times
Now I have my K7 back, camera seems to be working properly so far.
Luckily I bought extended warranty.
cheers

Battery dying off then got this problem is it?

Bro,

I got some bad news for you, i suffered from this problem with my K-5, I bought it just before I went to Europe and it started to behave in a weird manner over there.

At first I thought it was due to the climate and temperature, but after a month, and I came back, the camera was still behaving the same way, it was even worse than when it was in Europe, and If i remember correctly the problem only started to occur one day after I had fully charged my battery and placed it in the camera and turned it on, first it was seldom, then intermittent, then ALWAYS. Any button you press would cause the shutter to keep flipping. As I was overseas I dint' have much of a choice and sucked it up till I came back and sent it in to Emjay.

After reading you link I feel it might just be that issue, an issue with voltage or the battery or something like that, not a pro in electronics and relatively new to DSLRs. My K-5 not even 2 months old.

I have sent it in to Emjay, and they have sent it to Japan, the tech that attended to me said it was a motherboard problem, but was unsure what was causing it to happen as well. Its been 1 month and 2 days since my camera has been in shop, and no news and no information of the problem, called up Emjay last week and they say most prob have to wait another 2-3 weeks before I get my camera back, I guess its due to testing and such.

I have a feeling its really due to the internal circuity of the camera, maybe its the shoddy work that the way the camera was made, or a certain way we used the camera which caused this problem since not many people has had this problem. I can only say send in ASAP, let them try to fix it, I only pray that when the camera comes back, it does not go bonkers within a month and I have to send back again. I might go demanding for a new camera. 1 month without a camera is really REALLy painful.

Hope you can get yours resolved.

A little side not, I have no upgraded my firmware, but I suspect maybe due to lens problem, which somehow affected the electronics of the body as my lens started to wobble and jiggle in Europe before the body went KA-PUT!

Last edited: