K5 File Size

JinG14

Apr 7, 2010
Hi Folks,
is there any way to reduce the file size on K5 Raw. i think all my 16mp K5 Raw file be it in DNG or PEF is between 22-25mb. it is killing my storage space in both my lap top hard disk and memory.

RAW file is uncompressed, nothing much you can do...

Hi Folks,
is there any way to reduce the file size on K5 Raw. i think all my 16mp K5 Raw file be it in DNG or PEF is between 22-25mb. it is killing my storage space in both my lap top hard disk and memory.

not only the MP cos it... is the 12bit vs 14 bit more...

Hi Folks,

Yes there is a way. the only way is to give me your K5 and you can continue to shoot with your Kr in jpeg mode.... ;p

its a common problem when shooting RAW. there's no way to reduce the file size of raw files.

the only way is to do housekeeping - delete the files you don't want? and maybe after you're done processing, export as jpeg and delete the RAW?

my solution is to increase the amt of storage - 2TB external HDD.

Don't ever delete that RAW file because you can come back and reprocess the image in future.
What is important is to TRASH those images that cannot make it. Trust me, we all got our share of less than perfect shots.
The discipline to take a hard look and decide that a shot isn't good enough and to delete it is a hard thing for some because shooting digitally often means shooting with wild abandon without thinking.
Increasing storage is a solution but without the discipline to delete, it's like throwing money to fill up hard disk full of images that are just so-so and not stellar. What's the point?

Increase Harddisk space!

Deleting photos can be a fun thing to do. Be more strict with your photos, then you will get better image and save more space too!

Thanks folks for the advise! I always thought 12 mp camera produce 12mb raw file. That's why I am a bit shock when I saw the raw file of k5 to be 22mb. Hehe

shoot money shots in raw,
shoot family shots in jpg.

easy. try single shot instead of continue burst shot

PEF and DNG have already some compression on it. easily k-5 raw files can top 40mb at 14bit raw without compression... my other camera got 25mb at 14MP using 12 bit raw, the 20mp variant goes up to 45MP without any compression... come to think of it, it's raw file contains full res jpeg file on it...

Last edited:
Yes there is a way. the only way is to give me your K5 and you can continue to shoot with your Kr in jpeg mode.... ;p

I can exchange your K-5 with a K-x also, 12MP is good enough... haha

now 1TB harddisk is about $100+ only...
get the extreme card 16 or 32 GB also...

notice that PEF is smaller than DNG about 10%...
12 bit and 14bit mean extra 2 bit to store the colour of the pic...
12 MP K-x jpg about 5-6mb when comes to PEF is about 13MB
JPG is normally 8bit only + compression(with lost also) compare to 12 bit raw
you can see different more than double just because of the bit and lost...

Last edited:
Using this thread to continue some question .

How abt the colour profile of SRGB vs adobeRGB

Does it affect the colour bit ? Also file size ?