1. WR Articulated LCD
2. Precise AF
3. 4 Stop SR
4. 3 D tracking for better AFS or C accuracy

1. WR Articulated LCD
2. Precise AF
3. 4 Stop SR
4. 3 D tracking for better AFS or C accuracy

Not sure if I would prefer the OMD's AF in every situation. I hope the K-3 will stick too PDAF. :)

I think it can implement on live view. But how I love OVF for real time action. If I could only choose one feature to carry over to K3 it has to be the 4 stop IBIS.

Hrm, I'm thinking the articulating screen is a good to have. Definitely useful, from my experience with Van's 60D.. Of course we can always live without it nonetheless.

AF can always be improved more and more, I guess. Same goes for SR. Not sure if it must be tied to the OM-D. That's a camera with a lot of hype, if you ask me, but it's really not a game-changing camera. The PR that Olympus has done is definitely game-changing though, that's for sure. :bsmilie:

I do agree the articulating screen is a good to have for close up and very low level shots. Actually if they can make a articulating view finder, how come cannot make a plugin/snap on type of articulating screen. If you need it, just plug it in. Don't need it, keep it in your pocket. Easy.

Other than that I think Pentax is doing well in other areas. There is a limit to how much SR can do. I believe this applies to other major brands as well.

Speaking of SR I think crop factor plays a part too; 1.5x vs 2x (MFT).

I do agree the articulating screen is a good to have for close up and very low level shots. Actually if they can make a articulating view finder, how come cannot make a plugin/snap on type of articulating screen. If you need it, just plug it in. Don't need it, keep it in your pocket. Easy.

Other than that I think Pentax is doing well in other areas. There is a limit to how much SR can do. I believe this applies to other major brands as well.

not that it cannot be done, but maybe it requires trade-offs in other areas, like weather sealing? the more removable / moving parts, the greater the challenge to WR?

I presume that you mean that the screen can be detatched (i.e. it is not an add-on to an existing screen). I can think of at least one major problem with this, in that Pentax would need to manufacture many spares for their distributors/dealers. This is to cater for the case where careless photographers either damage the screen, or just simply drop it. It sounds like a cool concept, but the potential costs to the manufacturer may well make it prohibitive.

Furthermore, I would like to highlight that while Emjay has done a relatively good job compared to the older distro wrt sales, their service levels seem to be going down, down, down. It is absolutely unsatisfactory. While I am probably not as peeved as this post makes it sound, my earlier query with them for spare Viewfinder Caps ended with a curt reply that "Pentax Japan has no stocks", and no further contact subsequently when I sought further clarification. It is a sad day when users have to resort to getting overseas friends to buy stocks from elsewhere (it is worth noting that Pentax USA store sells the VF cap and there is absolutely NO REASON why Emjay seems to think that only Pentax Japan is the only Pentax arm it can talk to. Even if that is the case, there was not even a display of effort to get Pentax Japan to contact Pentax USA to obtain stocks). So I can imagine if Pentax were to produce this "detatchable LCD screen", and a user damaged it, you may well get Emjay telling you in words amounting to "too bad, Pentax Japan don't have stock for spares, suck your thumb and live with it". :rolleyes:

Does the Pk Tether work with a cheap LCD TV via HDMI?

The D800 sample files on the official Nikon site has made me ponder the further usefulness of more MP.
It translates to nothing more for me other than a bigger file that I can zoom in more with 3-4 scrolls of my mouse scroll wheel instead of 2x scrolls on the 16mp file of the K5).
I just don't see what more the MP race is going to offer, unless one prints very very big (the size of A0 or larger); most likely at a commercial level.
It allows more cropping, but 36mp is a bit too much of it and something is really wrong with the photographer if he/she relies on that much cropping at a regular level.

So to me, if I am to have a wish list for the K??
1. 16-18mp (24mp MAX; grudgingly)
2. Better AF (or maybe a choice in the menu for faster AF, but more margin of error or slower but more accurate)
3. Max sync speed >1/180
4. Un-crippled K-mount
5. Better translation of the 14.3 stop DR onto direct JPG o/p (now we still need to recover in PP)
6. Tweakable in-camera HDR like a simple Photomatrix menu
7. Actual supported Tether
8. Better AF-C
9. Better PTTL and intro of new wireless flash commander system via bluetooth
10. No AA filter option? (not sure if its really that good a thing; I'm pretty sure the camera engineers are not dummies to leave it on in the 1st place)
11. NR algo as good and adjustable as Topaz Denoise :D

as can be seen from my list, most of them are good to haves and not must haves.
I'd be pretty happy if K5 is being sold for another 1yr at a much cheaper price, as its really a very good camera (a success and classic imo).

Last edited:
not that it cannot be done, but maybe it requires trade-offs in other areas, like weather sealing? the more removable / moving parts, the greater the challenge to WR?

Actually those rubber caps at the side to cover the HDMI and other connectors also can be done the same for this unique connector. Olympus came with a cover which covers both the VF connector and the hotshoe. Pentax also provide out of the box the cover for the VF for those who do night shots. So it is possible and WR still will not suffer.

Currently PC desktop do have connectors like the USB with Esata combo. So I do not see why this cannot be done for a camera. Just that the engineers need to think abit and be more adventurous. ;)

Speaking of 1-2 Stop SR vs 4 Stop IBIS, could it be due to the crop factor? I mean smaller compact can get sharper image with lesser speed maybe?

The D800 sample files on the official Nikon site has made me ponder the further usefulness of more MP.
It translates to nothing more for me other than a bigger file that I can zoom in more with 3-4 scrolls of my mouse scroll wheel instead of 2x scrolls on the 16mp file of the K5).
I just don't see what more the MP race is going to offer, unless one prints very very big (the size of A0 or larger); most likely at a commercial level.
It allows more cropping, but 36mp is a bit too much of it and something is really wrong with the photographer if he/she relies on that much cropping at a regular level.

So to me, if I am to have a wish list for the K??
1. 16-18mp (24mp MAX; grudgingly)
2. Better AF (or maybe a choice in the menu for faster AF, but more margin of error or slower but more accurate)
3. Max sync speed >1/180
4. Un-crippled K-mount
5. Better translation of the 14.3 stop DR onto direct JPG o/p (now we still need to recover in PP)
6. Tweakable in-camera HDR like a simple Photomatrix menu
7. Actual supported Tether
8. Better AF-C
9. Better PTTL and intro of new wireless flash commander system via bluetooth
10. No AA filter option? (not sure if its really that good a thing; I'm pretty sure the camera engineers are not dummies to leave it on in the 1st place)
11. NR algo as good and adjustable as Topaz Denoise :D

as can be seen from my list, most of them are good to haves and not must haves.
I'd be pretty happy if K5 is being sold for another 1yr at a much cheaper price, as its really a very good camera (a success and classic imo).
Re D800, I suppose if the lenses' resolution are improved, then it may not be the case of just zooming in for the sake of zooming in. Naturally if the lenses cannot resolve to the level of detail that a 36 megapixel image can provide then it is meaningless, as you have mentioned. How much detail is too much, I really don't know. It is always good to have more detail, more of everything. That's how today's world is - to guard against everything, every possibility, we just demand more and more. The alternative is to work with what you have, but I guess you won't have any form of "progress" beyond a certain point. After all, taking it in another context, one may well say that we do not really need to get to London from Singapore in 12 hours or so with a jet plane, a matter of months via horse carriage would suffice. It's all relative.

Personally, I don't think I will need 36 megapixels. I don't print large, I don't have a building to hang my photographs from. Until everyone starts getting 40" computer monitors, 12-16 megapixels will do just fine for the relatively cheap lenses I prefer to use. :bsmilie:

More DR pls, that's all I care about... And maybe bring back the K20D Fn button so that we don't have to keep pressing OK and hold it to switch... :(

since the K-3 (or whatever it will be called) will most likely be my K-r replacement, i just hoping for

1. more accurate AF
2. Better PTTL
3. higher DR
4. iso50
5. higher multi exposure limit

i will give my wallet immediately for just these 5 upgrades.

Re D800, I suppose if the lenses' resolution are improved, then it may not be the case of just zooming in for the sake of zooming in. Naturally if the lenses cannot resolve to the level of detail that a 36 megapixel image can provide then it is meaningless, as you have mentioned. How much detail is too much, I really don't know. It is always good to have more detail, more of everything. That's how today's world is - to guard against everything, every possibility, we just demand more and more. The alternative is to work with what you have, but I guess you won't have any form of "progress" beyond a certain point. After all, taking it in another context, one may well say that we do not really need to get to London from Singapore in 12 hours or so with a jet plane, a matter of months via horse carriage would suffice. It's all relative.

Personally, I don't think I will need 36 megapixels. I don't print large, I don't have a building to hang my photographs from. Until everyone starts getting 40" computer monitors, 12-16 megapixels will do just fine for the relatively cheap lenses I prefer to use. :bsmilie:

More DR pls, that's all I care about... And maybe bring back the K20D Fn button so that we don't have to keep pressing OK and hold it to switch... :(

You know, I often envy the times when things went by real mail. :D

MP race to me is pointless as of 2011-12.
Unless they come up with 4075x3264 (~14mp) TV screen for viewing the picts. (maybe the size of a wall) :D
(My 42" TV is actually my PC monitor, but its only 1280x780 (about 1mp), better ones do 1900x???? so long way to go to that day)

But its between the devil and deep blue sea for manufacturers.
No more MP gives the perception that the brand is incompetent.
More MP is actually pointless at this point of time for most users.
I guess they tried to drive the high ISO wagon instead for a short while, but are getting burned by it even sooner than the MP wagon.

No doubt, check out the the high ISO of the OMD;
P2240038 by diCam, on Flickr

I don't know what to say 'stomp feet'.

You know, I often envy the times when things went by real mail. :D

MP race to me is pointless as of 2011-12.
Unless they come up with 4075x3264 (~14mp) TV screen for viewing the picts. (maybe the size of a wall) :D
(My 42" TV is actually my PC monitor, but its only 1280x780 (about 1mp), better ones do 1900x???? so long way to go to that day)

But its between the devil and deep blue sea for manufacturers.
No more MP gives the perception that the brand is incompetent.
More MP is actually pointless at this point of time for most users.
I guess they tried to drive the high ISO wagon instead for a short while, but are getting burned by it even sooner than the MP wagon.

Yes, actually for computer screen viewing purposes you are talking about good sharpening methods as well as good practice when shooting, e.g. mirror up, etc... For current technology..

It is really a reactive thing I guess. If no one starts playing the game (and getting a good response at that!), then you won't further the race. :bsmilie:

Of course it is good! I think it is as good as my Samsung Galaxy S2 IQ.

I think I will stick to my SGS 2 and K5. And use the money I reserved for OMD for some nice Limited lenses. And who knows, maybe a 16-50.