Not open for further replies.

dnaxe

Oct 5, 2006
I shoot Pentax at the moment - I have a kit which includes:
K100D
Sigma 70-300
Pentax 18-55 I
Pentax FA 50 1.4
1.7X AF converter (does anyone want this, btw? I haven't actually been using it much. PM me)

--

Anyhow, it's not as if I've reached the limits of the camera/kit or anything, but I've become increasingly irritated by:
1. focus speed in low light (the fact that the 50 1.4 is mounted 95% of the time probably doesn't help - of course, because it's low light that's somewhat unavoidable)
2. how noisy (in decibels) the focussing and shutter is
3. no fast zoom (yes. I can't bring myself to spend the money - yet ;))

Anyhow - a K20D / 16-50 looks like it's in my future, huh?

The thing is, while looking at the K20D/16-50 combo - I realised that there were other options at basically the same price. Specifically - the 40D/17-55 2.8 IS.

Here's how I think they stack up - please let me know if you disagree with any point? That would help me to decide ;)

1. The image quality and image noise performance is effectively identical. The 40D manages this by having 33% less pixels (10mp vs. 14.6mp) but this is not very relevant.

2. weathersealing - yay for pentax! (also bonus points here for 24 vs 28 equiv)

3. focus speeds (especially in low light) - Does the 40D have an edge? The only comparison I could make myself was 40D + 18-55 IS vs. K100D + kit - and there's almost no comparison. The 40D is so much faster than it's criminal. Has anyone tried K20D + 16-50 vs. 40D + 17-55? I did try K10D + 50 1.4 against K100D + 50 1.4 and didn't notice any perceptible difference.

4. noise (decibels) - yay for canon!

5. everything else is basically identical. I prefer the pentax controls/menu generally, but that's probably just familiarity. Both cameras feel alright.

4. noise (decibels) - yay for canon!:nono: :hammer:

are you sure the k20d shutter sound is loud? i thought most reviewers mentioned that it was pretty soft

i always thought the k10d shutter sound was ok too, but YES, the k100d shutter sound is pretty damn loud :bsmilie:

you have to remember, you have already gotten some lenses in pentax k mount.. switch to canon means you must dump those.. actually not much, since it's just 2 more, which aren't very expensive either..

choice is yours, actually. personally i would not go over to canon, not because they are a poor company, but they are certainly, as of now, much more profit orientated than pentax. though that may change in future. do note that k100d versus 40d is not very fair leh. while both of dslrs, the price range of the bodies, AND the fact that you are comparing a kit lens to something which costs significantly more than kit lens.. haha. but then again, from most tests in the past pentax af has always been slightly slower, albeit being more successful at obtaining focus when it is tricky.. eventually anyways.

i guess it depends on your needs. for me, i do landscapes 90% of the time, af is not really an issue, honestly. in fact i am more than happy with my k100d (other htan the lack of iso100).. just that i want a modded ir-only body.. so might as well upgrade and satisfy the little equipment whore inside :bsmilie:

did not compare the 40D but only the olympus E3 with cheapo kit 14-45mm...feel it af acquisition
is faster than k20D with 200mm sdm, the pentax is definitely quieter than 40D,D300 and A700 , E3 can't really recall

did not compare the 40D but only the olympus E3 with cheapo kit 14-45mm...feel it af acquisition
is faster than k20D with 200mm sdm, the pentax is definitely quieter than 40D,D300 and A700 , E3 can't really recall

Eow, I really hope to see you using the Olympus system some day ...............:D

Eow, I really hope to see you using the Olympus system some day ...............:D

i'm waiting for the E-420 ...see how first small compact and if it cheap;p

Both are very capable cameras, and both setups (40D+1755IS vs K20D+1650) are more than enough for most people.

The major pros for Canon 40D+1755IS:
1. faster AF under lowlight
2. 6fps (3fps for Pentax K20D)

The major pros for Pentax K20D+DA*1650:
1. weather sealed body and lens
2. in-body shake reduction which works for other lenses too (I'm sure you need at least a fast prime like 50/1.4 for both system)
3. more pixels (probably not much useful for most people)
4. AF adjustment (very useful if your lenses have BF/AF problem)

Personally I prefer Pentax for its color rendering, especially for people and portraits. Both cameras are using CMOS sensor, but the results look quite different from the two.

i'm waiting for the E-420 ...see how first small compact and if it cheap;p

Yeah, the E420 plus the 25mm pancake combo is kinda cool. Pity Oly couldn't squeeze in anti shake (which became a must for me nowadays)...

are you sure the k20d shutter sound is loud? i thought most reviewers mentioned that it was pretty soft

good point - my bad. The noise should be the same. I forgot I was comparing the K20D/16-50 combi. haha.

Mahler - you're right...

i always thought the k10d shutter sound was ok too, but YES, the k100d shutter sound is pretty damn loud :bsmilie:

I thought the K10D was v similar to the K100D. quieter. but.

you have to remember, you have already gotten some lenses in pentax k mount.. switch to canon means you must dump those.. actually not much, since it's just 2 more, which aren't very expensive either..

Yeah. The new kit will cost more than everything else put together.

choice is yours, actually. personally i would not go over to canon, not because they are a poor company, but they are certainly, as of now, much more profit orientated than pentax. though that may change in future. do note that k100d versus 40d is not very fair leh. while both of dslrs, the price range of the bodies, AND the fact that you are comparing a kit lens to something which costs significantly more than kit lens.. haha. but then again, from most tests in the past pentax af has always been slightly slower, albeit being more successful at obtaining focus when it is tricky.. eventually anyways.

Oh i was comparing kits what :p

What I really need to do is to see how the k200d + 16-50 working together feels. I think AF acquisition speed will be the key.

i guess it depends on your needs. for me, i do landscapes 90% of the time, af is not really an issue, honestly. in fact i am more than happy with my k100d (other htan the lack of iso100).. just that i want a modded ir-only body.. so might as well upgrade and satisfy the little equipment whore inside :bsmilie:

Your shots are excellent. I don't have the patience for landscape generally ;) Most of my shots are portraits... (this may also be affected by the 50 1.4 being continually affixed. hahah)

Both are very capable cameras, and both setups (40D+1755IS vs K20D+1650) are more than enough for most people.

The major pros for Canon 40D+1755IS:
1. faster AF under lowlight
2. 6fps (3fps for Pentax K20D)

The major pros for Pentax K20D+DA*1650:
1. weather sealed body and lens
2. in-body shake reduction which works for other lenses too (I'm sure you need at least a fast prime like 50/1.4 for both system)
3. more pixels (probably not much useful for most people)
4. AF adjustment (very useful if your lenses have BF/AF problem)

Personally I prefer Pentax for its color rendering, especially for people and portraits. Both cameras are using CMOS sensor, but the results look quite different from the two.

Even till now, I am unable to get used to the colors rendered by a CMOS sensor ......... that's why always looking out for a camera with CCD sensor ..........I noticed that the k20D colors are a little different from the Sony and Canon cameras .... that is a plus point:think:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=27234722

The review of Chasseur d'Images shows the K20D is an excellent camera, they give the K20D a 5* (out of 5).

In summary:

+ the good points of the K10D remain: viewfinder, weather sealing... or even improved: SR, usability/user interface
+ very good sensor and image processing engine
+ simple direct access to commands and image styles with Fn button
+ wireless highspeed flash with builtin flash
+ socket for studio flash
+ complete built in image post processing engine and even raw dev.

- no SR in viewfinder
- shutter only 1/4000th
- shutter speed of only 3p/s
- LCD screen with just 230000 pixels and no HDMI output

In comparison to the competitors (according to the mag)

K20D vs C 40D

1100 EUR for C 40D vs 1200 EUR for K20D. Viewfinder, weather sealing and IQ of 40D not as good as K20D, but 40D does 6pic/s.

K20D vs N D300

The D300 is EUR 500 more expensive, and is slightly better in every area than the K20D. N also offers a wider selection of lenses. Regarding IQ, the K20D is more than a competition to the D300

K20D vs O E3

E3 is nicely built, excellent viewfinder and fast AF, but IQ is much lower than K20D.

K20D vs S alpha700

The alpha700 has a 12MP sensor, but only with a 12bit ADC. The dynamic range is lower than the K20D. IQ wise, the K20D produces better photos, but the K20D is slightly behind build quality and viewfinder.

thanks.

Sigh. what a difficult decision.

In body IS is a real boon, but 70-200 2.8 glass is preferable to 60-250/4.

Oh well, not like I have to decide real soon. Might get either though, if the HK prices are too good to be believed. ;)

dnaxe, I guess it all boils down to AF speed now if the rest are similar.

:think: what you actually looking for ??

lens or body ??

The AF speed of the K20D is definitely not that slow... though i only play for a few minutes the K20D during the IT show, the AF is very fast and spot on even when i focus on dark objects, no hunting whatsoever...

if you prefer the 70-200mm, then go for it... else get the K20D...

BTW...dunno MS Color still has the K20D or not, but i saw CP got them...

Yes was just at CP and they have the K20D body at $1850. The 200mm is the same price plus they have all the DA and FA Limiteds. No more complaints of no lens availability.

dnaxe just get the K20D. To me it is waaaay ahead of the 40D in so many ways. But that is just a camera to camera match-up.

Frankly it doesn't make a hell lot of difference which camera make you finally opt for because whatever camera or lens combo alone won't guarantee better pictures. Concentrate on your technique.

Yes was just at CP and they have the K20D body at $1850. The 200mm is the same price plus they have all the DA and FA Limiteds. No more complaints of no lens availability.
WOW thats cool...

dnaxe just get the K20D. To me it is waaaay ahead of the 40D in so many ways. But that is just a camera to camera match-up.

share? :)

Frankly it doesn't make a hell lot of difference which camera make you finally opt for because whatever camera or lens combo alone won't guarantee better pictures. Concentrate on your technique.

You're absolutely right. These are just... additional features to make life easier :)

woohoo.

That price is fine (same at alan photo last I checked) - it's not unreasonably out of line with the US prices.

IT's the DA* price which is painful. (Since it's 699 in the US and SGD 1.45k here.)

woohoo.

That price is fine (same at alan photo last I checked) - it's not unreasonably out of line with the US prices.

IT's the DA* price which is painful. (Since it's 699 in the US and SGD 1.45k here.)

By DA*, I suppose you're referring to the 16-50? I got just quoted much lower than that, but no stock though...

Status
Not open for further replies.