K20D, Tamron 17-50mm, Panning

Status
Not open for further replies.

longko

Sep 7, 2006
Balestier
I'd always wanted to try panning, but never did one before (like know how to do it but never did it). Was looking for stray cats today end up playing with panning. Not as hard as I'd imagined, managed to get abt 1 success in 3-5 shots. So here are my 1st panning shots.

IMGP1131copy.jpg

IMGP1132copy.jpg

IMGP1144copy.jpg

IMGP1154copy.jpg

IMGP1159copy.jpg

Great shots, longko!:):thumbsup:
I like the red Lancer shot the best.
Just a minor suggestion: it's better to use the lowest ISO possible so that the camera opens up the aperture more; this gives a smoother background. Also prevents potential for overexposure.

EDIT: Any opinion on the AF-C tracking ability of the Tamron?

Great shots, longko!:):thumbsup:
I like the red Lancer shot the best.
Just a minor suggestion: it's better to use the lowest ISO possible so that the camera opens up the aperture more; this gives a smoother background. Also prevents potential for overexposure.

EDIT: Any opinion on the AF-C tracking ability of the Tamron?

Thx. Think most were begining shots were on ISO200 cause of D-Range, ending ones were on ISO400 for testing. I'm using M mode for almost all shots except the 1st 3 which were on AV. M mode cause I like to control the exposure. Ya will try f16 cause I wanted to use 1/30-1/60s.

Next time will try ISO100 f8 1/60s, but also depending on how much light there is.;)

Don't think there's any option to select, but it has no problem with AF.C

nice shots. :thumbsup:

Zee,

background on first few shots quite distracting. Blurred background and sharp subject, if possible, I tot, f16 or smaller with a sloooow.. shutter, much less than 1/60 secs...

Anyway, some nice shots here. Wow, takes a lot of practise to pan and move your body;)

otc

Zee,

background on first few shots quite distracting. Blurred background and sharp subject, if possible, I tot, f16 or smaller with a sloooow.. shutter, much less than 1/60 secs...

Anyway, some nice shots here. Wow, takes a lot of practise to pan and move your body;)

otc

1/25 sec to 1/50 sec works well for most of the SG city traffic. 1/60 -1/90 sec should be okay for highways. Much depends on the speed of the vehicle too.:)

I usually pan in Tv mode with CW metering; easier that way.:sweat:

Zee,

otc

Ya That's why I was narrowing the aperture to get slower shutter. Then try faster shutter to see the diff. As I'd said was a 1st try. Ya more of controlling the body motion.

1/25 sec to 1/50 sec works well for most of the SG city traffic. 1/60 -1/90 sec should be okay for highways. Much depends on the speed of the vehicle too.:)

I usually pan in Tv mode with CW metering; easier that way.:sweat:

I'd checked with someone who trained under a pro, she said the instructor said 1/15s for sg road.

Very interesting....but will wait till i brush up my macro and flash photography before I venture into trying panning =P

i see u had fun!!:D

Very interesting....but will wait till i brush up my macro and flash photography before I venture into trying panning =P

Macro to truly master it will take sometime, as we are talking abt control of light^^; Panning will be fun break from macro during those dull moments;)

i see u had fun!!:D

lol Ya it was a fun experience. It's a gd skill to know.

Very good panning shots. :thumbsup:
I can even read the wordings on the vehicles clearly.

okie~ maybe I'll try with small gal riding bicycle first...

Wow! Really? Cos the speed is too slow? I always thought start from slowest to fastest.

Last SKC show my friend tried panning handlers with dogs in ring. She only had little success. She did well with cars but seems to have problem with human/dogs. Maybe it's due to slow and inconsistent speed.

nice shots.. haha.

I think your waist must have lost a few inches!!

Thx^^ I don't feel anything^^; Maybe cause I'm used to doing macros for a few hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.