K20D review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Review is out on pop photo...though some might have seem the leak at dpreview but this is from pop photo itself...

anyway comparison with the big boys is inevitable since the price range is so similar...anyway i more interested in the photos it produce and the dynamic range performance...

here is the link to ricehigh blog which also links to pop photo review...

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2008/02/first-k20d-production-camera-formal.html

RiceHigh... the online Pentax critic (aka Michael Poon) from Hongkong who unfortunately has shown little if any shred of credibility whatsoever. Great measurebator who denigrates all things Pentax and who has apparently switched over to the Canon 5D but posts no photos whatsoever. :bsmilie:

he reminds me of KRW of N fame :bsmilie:...anyway pop photo review does not say what we already doesn't know...fantastic detail, good iso performance, faster AF, improved SR. i do hope to see more samples from production K20D.

The camera isn't officially released yet, all testing photos were done by pre-release version w/ beta firmware. Although we already can see some excellent results by the beta K20D, I'm sure the final product will be even better :)

As to Rice High, I'd avoid his blog as I'd like my kids to be away from HFM disease :bsmilie:

I think that guy has some psychological problems.

hfm? what's that?

the guy seems to be anally retentive though. :bsmilie: what's up with all his numbers!

This RH blog just reads like an anti-Pentax whine fest. Maybe he's just hoping for a pay out from Pentax to shut him up.

If u read him in his early days to his current state, its more like he is a film guy who din make the transition to digital successfully for pentax bodies. The best advice for him would be to go back to slides and invest in a good scanner......

Biased or not, I hope that the AF of the K20D will not be a cause of concern again ............ :sweat:

Biased or not, I hope that the AF of the K20D will not be a cause of concern again ............ :sweat:

dun worry, Bro i dun see any problem so far when handling with pentax dslr and it won't be a concern...
it the man that behind the camera, like me when af failed on mine 5D..i just switch to manual.

I guess we can just wait and see the performance of K20D and judge according to our experience? :)

Anyway, most brands have their pros and cons. So it a give and take issue after all :)

comment posted on that site with regards to pop-photo's testing of af speed:

Peter Fang said:
Hi Michael,

It's been a while that I've come to your blog but I'd like to point out something quite interesting regarding the PopPhoto K20D review. If you take a look at their K10D review more than a year ago:

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3512/camera-test-pentax-k10d.html

You can see that in the AF speed section, the numbers they published for the K10D is 100% identical to that of the K20D in this March '08 issue. As PopPhoto also tested the DA* 16-50 lens which has SDM, I really don't think they tested the K20D's AF speed with an SDM-capable lens and came away with same numbers as a screw-driven AF lens on the K10D, in fact I suspect that they thought since the K20D's AF system is also called SAFOX VIII, they probably just copied the K10D numbers and pasted it over! If that's not the case, I would truly admire their testing methodology which has such consistent results across two different bodies more than a year later with several firmware revisions and new AF code for SDM...

what irks me frankly, is not the fact that he present figures. that is still tolerable to some certain extent - it seems as if, he's bent on presenting a negative viewpoint for whatever personal reasons. even the good points mentioned in the review are twisted and warped into something negative. and not everything written is accurate, which gives off alarm bells that this guy is obviously biased.

seems to ignore the excellent resolution results which seem to be better than canon and sony equivalent, and on par with nikon. instead he finds some bone to pick by saying that the d300 can upkeep the resolution results, while the pentax cannot. so what happened to canon and sony?

and this paragraph just takes the cake:

However, for the preservation of highlight and shadows details (also commonly referred to the Dynamic Range or simply DR), the K20D comes last. The K20D has the most accurate contrast, though. Do note that normally a lower contrast would normally result for a wider DR. It is therefore the Nikon and the Sony should have the potential to yield an even wider DR range if the contrast is tuned down a bit.

ok lor, then pp using hdr also can solve everything what. if you're talking about pp'ed images instead of out of cam results, where's the bloody link?! everyone knows that a fair basis for comparison is only valid and fair WHEN the same conditions are used.

this is a horrible, horrible writeup which is in my mind, obviously biased. i would think that no one should take it seriously.

no one should bother readin that measurebator!

dunno this post would create so much attention
was meant to post the pop photo review more fyi... maybe including rich high blog was a mistake on my part...

lets not read too much into the comments until we ourselves has seem samples or even better play with a actual production K20D...

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.