K20d or K-7 decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmchin

Oct 5, 2008
If you are me, will you think to upgrade to K-7 or K20d just enough?
Worth the price?

I am using K100d Super, and now tempted with K-7 spec.

Is anyone can give opinion is it worth to upgrade to K-7, by passing th K20d?
Since the K-7 price almost double the K-20d.

in Amazon,
K-7-usd1299
K-20d-usd699

<poison>K-7 of course!</poison>

the k20d is going to be very value for money, as the k10d was when k20d was the best offering...

if you are budget constrained, i say k20d, it is a joy to use, even if it doesn't have the additional features k7 offers....

but if you have the money..... then go for the best. i do not regret buying the k20d even when it wasn't that cheap when i got it :)

Plenty of life still in the K20D's excellent CMOS sensor.
Obviously the K-7 is darn good but not likely you can get your hands on one so quickly,
and even if you do, you'll be paying a premium. On the other hand, the K20D is almost rock bottom price wise and you can get it almost immediately without having to wait.

I am very happy with my K20D which I got in late march 09. Being poisoned by the K-7 does not mean that I will jump into it straight away but will wait for the price to stablise first. But that is a full featured camera. ;p

I am very happy with my K20D which I got in late march 09. Being poisoned by the K-7 does not mean that I will jump into it straight away but will wait for the price to stablise first. But that is a full featured camera. ;p

Yeah but we K20D users will find it hard to upgrade because the camera already very good, whereas if I was in the thread starter's shoes, jumping to the K-7 from the K100D Super is a far easier decision. ;)

Yeah but we K20D users will find it hard to upgrade because the camera already very good, whereas if I was in the thread starter's shoes, jumping to the K-7 from the K100D Super is a far easier decision. ;)

That is very true. But that K-7 threat is very poisonous ;p

concur with creampuff, if you have the $$$$ and K-7 is within your budget, just get the K-7.

If you are me, will you think to upgrade to K-7 or K20d just enough?
Worth the price?

I am using K100d Super, and now tempted with K-7 spec.

Is anyone can give opinion is it worth to upgrade to K-7, by passing th K20d?
Since the K-7 price almost double the K-20d.

Am in same shoes as you regarding camera upgrade, also have the 10-20 and 50-200 (though rest of my lenses are all primes).

Actually, I'll have got the K20D at its current bargain price, and bypass the K-7, but for one thing: the size of the K20D.

I like small cameras, and the K20D is just too big for me. Not sure if this is a factor for you.

If not, it just comes down to cheaper, excellent camera (K20D) vs more expensive, cutting-edge and excellent camera (K-7).

i was in your footsteps a month ago, had a K100DS but tempted by the low prices of the K20D and rumours of the imminent announcement of a new cam. i would suggest that you keep shooting with the K100DS until the K-7 appears on the market and its new features are properly evaluated.

imo you won't go wrong with either camera.. you can pay more for the new features of the K-7 or pay less and maybe use the funds for a new lens. it just depends on how much whether you value the new features and improvements at US$600+. which is why i suggest giving more time for the initial fever to die down so you can make a better decision.

anyway, i didn't wait for the K-7 as i knew it would be priced out of my budget, regardless of how groundbreaking it would've been. in fact i might not have even upgraded to the K20D if not for the fact that someone bought over my K100DS. that's how cheapo i am hehe.

Last edited:
... Actually, I'll have got the K20D at its current bargain price, and bypass the K-7, but for one thing: the size of the K20D.

I like small cameras, and the K20D is just too big for me. Not sure if this is a factor for you.

If not, it just comes down to cheaper, excellent camera (K20D) vs more expensive, cutting-edge and excellent camera (K-7).

The K20D not so big lah... if you consider it big, then the K-7 must be made just for you... welcome, would be K-7 owner :bsmilie:

... i suggest giving more time for the initial fever to die down so you can make a better decision.

The patient is critically ill, fever can only be cured by K-7 antidote... K20D not so effective anymore as the BBB virus has mutated... :eek:... patient needs video and plenty of magnesium...

Last edited:
The patient is critically ill, fever can only be cured by K-7 antidote... K20D not so effective anymore as the BBB virus has mutated... :eek:

the BBB pandemic alert level raised to phase 5 - imminent pandemic.

everyone pls take precautionary measures, have to ban the travel of foreigners in affected areas such as mark dimo. might have to halt all pentax outings once the first K-7 case hit our shores to prevent inter-human transmission.

The K20D not so big lah... if you consider it big, then the K-7 must be made just for you... welcome, would be K-7 owner :bsmilie:

hehe for me i actually wanted the camera to be bigger. ;p

Oh well, tastes -- and size of hands -- differ! ;)

Having handled friends' D90, D200, D700 and Canon 40D before, as well as the K20D, our Pentax K20D isn't big yah. But they all just feel too bulky and enormous in my hands leh.

I like the K100Ds size -- seems kind of perfect for me. Was also considering K-m as 2nd body, but its lower-spec in many ways, being entry-level model.

So I was hoping for a higher-end model than my K100Ds in a compact size, but not too hopeful, looking at sizes of K20D and other brand's semi-pro models. And oh man, the K-7 came along.... what can I say, it's fate :p

My crystal ball says the July photo outing will be a product shoot... all of us taking pictures of the K-7... but we need someone to volunteer one first... do we need a model release? :bsmilie:

If I had waited ...but the force was strong so I ended up with K20D and ...my k100d still takes great pictures ....althought it is resting in the cabinet.But looking at k20D teh resolution on Pentax Gallery is still cannot be achieved by K20D ... so rest in pace with K20D ... and waited for another three years.

Thanks for the quick responses above, appreciated that.

This is what I like being into Pentax family, which the harmonic and warmth you could never find anywhere else.

No conclusion has come to the end yet..awaiting to see the real K-7 reviews from the coming up owners.

Well, what's definitely true is that if you don't mind secondhand there should be lots of great deals coming up. hahaha.

Probably get a K7 if it's within budget :)

Of course, yes, you gotta wait till it's available, and at that point, you might as well wait for a proper set of evaluations!

I'm probably late but..

I can only say - pay for the extra features only if you feel like it'll strongly help your shooting, or at least be worth the extra cost!

Me, i love the highly acclaimed more-accurate, faster, lowlight focusing. My k200d hunts terribly in night shooting, which i do alot of. So much that i've given up missing shots - i now "tikum" as best as i can and bracket 3 shots within the focus range of f1.4. I know the AF probably still won't be good enough for the night shots i take, but at least i won't have to pull my hair and go "WALAO SO EASY ALSO CANT FOCUS @#$%^" for the not-so-dark situations

Hope that helped :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.