weather proof
top LCD
solid feel in hand

i like kx
lomo photo
multi exposure mode
colorful

but i know k20d is mid range while kx is entry level
however,i found a shop is selling k20d at rm2.5k which is the same as kx.Kinda hard to choose now.
I do know that i will be able to achive the lomo,multi exposure etc etc via PP.please advice thanks

By the way,i know that Pentax DSLR is backward compatible but the AF is not support right?only work in MF,am i right?

please help me,newbie to DSLR

Get the k20d. It's a better camera overall. The k-x only tempts me with the high iso performace, everything else, its K20d. Lomo and post processing effects can always be done in photoshop.

Get the k20d. It's a better camera overall. The k-x only tempts me with the high iso performace, everything else, its K20d. Lomo and post processing effects can always be done in photoshop.

I would second scorpioh ;)

That's because k20d feels like a camera to me and for me, i need something to grip securely. It's a bit heavy especially with a telephoto prime on.

Lomo, yeah... can be achieved by photoshop or one of those lomo toy camera software. Piece of cake, noise level can be reduced using lightroom, nik software or any of the good de-noising software.

Still, you might like the kx for it's lightness and high iso and in-built camera effects. Go to the shop and handle the kx. That was the deciding factor for me to choose k10d (apart from the very reasonable 2nd hand price). :)

I would recommend the K-x over the K20D if you're buying new at this point of time.

Weather sealing is nice but not essential
You won't miss the top LCD much because the LCD monitor shows the required info and the user interface is better
Image quality is very good.
Better Live View than K20D
Video capability
Faster AF
Faster frames per second
Stunning high ISO quality
Digital filter fun
Smaller size that's great for travel
Cool color options
Great value

if meant for long term use,would k20d be a better choice?

since the prices for both is identical now,kinda hard to make decision especially the k20d is mid range. and most importantly,does kx have much button for easy accessible like k20d?

My vote is K20D.
- two command dial
- top status LCD
Since my first DSLR is K10D and i can not think of without two command dial.

I second creampuff advise. It is better to go with K-x.
K-x give you almost 2 additional stop of light with its clean high ISO capability.

I personally own *istD, K10d and then K-x. Even though the K-x is an entry-level camera, K-x has a lap frog so much in technology when compared. It has a much faster AF performance.

STill its better that you go down and feel them for yourself. Hold in your hand and see if you like it. I personally didn't like the K10/K20d size. K-x hold comfortably in my big hand.

In SLR system, it is important to get good lens, not good bodies. Technology move so fast, the bodies are just like computer which you upgrade every 3years or so.

cheerss..

ok

i will get a chance to hold a kx in my hand to feel it.

by the way,do any of dslr user here ever think that bringing dslr for vacation is hassle?

ok

i will get a chance to hold a kx in my hand to feel it.

by the way,do any of dslr user here ever think that bringing dslr for vacation is hassle?

I'm on vacation right now with K20D, 12-24, 70-200, 35, plus ME super and a P&S. I don't mind the weight since the images turn out better. Also, I carry the gear in a camera backpack, which makes lens changes a bit of a hassle but makes it more comfortable to carry over distances. :)

I'm on vacation right now with K20D, 12-24, 70-200, 35, plus ME super and a P&S. I don't mind the weight since the images turn out better. Also, I carry the gear in a camera backpack, which makes lens changes a bit of a hassle but makes it more comfortable to carry over distances. :)

Haa.. darrrrr.. Like you, when I was still a student, I carried ME super(to do color), Yashica GSN (to do BnW), and PnS when I went on christmas break. But soon, I realise that its difficult to concentrate on the picture composition with so many gears. Then I moved on to using just ONE pentax MX (with 3 prime lenses) for the whole 2 mth vacation. With just one camera on vacation, it allow me to concentrate on what lenses to use, what kind of composition. And the results are much better. I was also doing film half-roll re-loading to mix between color and b&w film.

kob3bryant, its never a hassle. But try to go for something light weight.

cheerss..

I don't think having features such as 2 dials and top LCD are "critical" requirements but good to have...i.e. they are bonus The most important is that the camera can take good pictures. And the kx being a model 2 years newer would be better than the K20 in that respect weather in image quality or noise performance.

To me, the kx offer the best value being a small and compact camera at a low price cramped with features. But in the end, I think its important the TS try out both and see which is more comfortable to him. I would rather have a K7 but for the price vs performance, I settled for the kx for now. If that camera meets your needs, no need to look elsewhere. otherwise you will be in constant agony about the fish that got away...:) Good luck on your choice.

......... 2 dials are better than 1 ...... at least for me. :)

KX ..... no vertical grip ............... and like the K20D, you still cannot see the LED readout in the VF ........ my friend had to resort to using his Nikon when we were shooting at the beach ......... :rolleyes:

P.S. Dun flame me bcos I am also a victim of the above circumstance. :(

Last edited:
buy a K-7, is much more like a k-x and a k20d cramped into a nice little package. but without the coloured body and a high ISO performance. :)

BTW, I'm lovin' the focus assist lamp. ;p

It's really up to you to decide. You know the technical aspect so now it's up to you to feel it and decide. Both are 2 different animal.

KX, high iso is a bonus if you take a lot of jpeg...;)

i read the dpreview on the comparison of both kx and k7,i dun think i will opt for k7 given the price tag is far above my budget.
i have the intention to buy a dslr today,but suddenly put on hold. i asked whether it is a hassle to bring a bulk gear out is an issue or not due to the factor of dslr might bring my attention away while i tour mate is so much enjoying the beautiful (some might agree, but not all). so i have now eliminate k20d from my list but put two others in which are ep-1/2 and gf1

just curious,are these model really small if compare to kx?

Well... they are small but the prices are around $1400-$1500. You might have to stretch the budget. Plus, don't forget the 2x crop factor.

There's always a tradeoff somewhere when it comes to dslr vs micro 4/3. Important thing is whether you're comfortable with the camera - personally, i think taking photos and enjoying scenery are mutually exclusive. Whatever your final decision is, just enjoy the system you choose. :)

it is simple.

if you need good high iso performance, k-x dominates.

anything else, for a better all-rounder, i.e. all things taken into consideration, given that you will not need to go above iso 800 most of the time, then k20d will be better.

i read the dpreview on the comparison of both kx and k7,i dun think i will opt for k7 given the price tag is far above my budget.
i have the intention to buy a dslr today,but suddenly put on hold. i asked whether it is a hassle to bring a bulk gear out is an issue or not due to the factor of dslr might bring my attention away while i tour mate is so much enjoying the beautiful (some might agree, but not all). so i have now eliminate k20d from my list but put two others in which are ep-1/2 and gf1

just curious,are these model really small if compare to kx?

If you intend to use only the pancake lens, then they are small. otherwise they are not much smaller than the kx. The only difference is the Kx has a bigger hand grip while the ep1/gf1 have none. With the kit zoom lens in, its even worse. Not forgetting the price difference too. The EP1 has no built in flash which is a pain especially when have backlit situations and adding the flash defeats the purpose of being "small". The GF1 for some strange reason does not have image stabiliser built in. The kx on the other hand is slightly bigger, has all the features you will find in a good DSLR at almost 2/3 the price. And it comes in more colours. You can't beat that. :)

2/3 of the price an EP-1?

well,mind to share wat is the selling price for EP1 and Kx at SG?
I get quoted Kx at RM2500 while EP1 standard kit is RM2699.

As for pana,no IS is terrible
Oly,no flash

so i didn't choose pana due to the fact of lacking a built in IS

And frankly,i have a fuji f100d which serve me quite well, the only draw back is I cannot do manual setting for shutter and apperture.

Status
Not open for further replies.