K20d?Kx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow,i am so glad that CS is very serious in sharing. IMHO, this is the 1st forum that I joined with so many good feedback and w/o biased opinion.

by the way,could anyone tell me, how to choose lens type? for eg

10-24mm for what type of photo
40mm da ltd for?

You are only limited by your imagination. While a UWA (10-24mm) is usually used for landscape and tight spaces, I use mine for portraits and close-up candids. For shallow DOF (blur background), all lenses are capable as long as you know the cam-subject-background distance relation. A fast lens (f2.8 and less) does help achieve shallower DOF, at the expense of smaller area of focus.

OK, this is for educational purposes so that you can make better choices. Not that I'm recommending you to go nuts on getting lenses.

Like all the seniors have said, go get an dslr - use it, take photos, see the limitations of your lenses before buying more lenses. I'm pretty serious about this, you're one person i don't like poisoning. :bsmilie:

Taken from http://mcfaddenphoto.com

Interesting write-up there. And more interestingly, he uses mostly manual focus lenses. :cool:

Better try out the camera and see which one feels better in your hand. Both are excellent cameras, both have their pros and cons. But for normal amateur use, I don't see any problem w/ either one at all.

Given the choice, I'd go for Kx myself :)

HI bro,
seems you are based in M'sia...just want to check with u. which shop in KL sell pentax lens and stuff...might want to go there to take look when i am in KL.

Oh i am newbie too using the Kx....its good.....but i got LBA now and cant get the lens i want!!!!!.

Yes. If possible, can let us know the company name and address of the shops with good range and prices? Then we can ask Gengh to update in this price list permanently.
I was there in KL and my uncle brought me to some shopping mall called Jusco. There were 3-4 photo shops but only 2 selling pentax stuff. The DA17-70 was selling at more than S$1000 vs around $850 here and I used that as a guide for the other stuff. They did not have the Kx but the Km. The staff at the mega electronics store was quite interested in my kx when he saw me taking photos... :)

Yes. If possible, can let us know the company name and address of the shops with good range and prices? Then we can ask Gengh to update in this price list permanently.
I was there in KL and my uncle brought me to some shopping mall called Jusco. There were 3-4 photo shops but only 2 selling pentax stuff. The DA17-70 was selling at more than S$1000 vs around $850 here and I used that as a guide for the other stuff. They did not have the Kx but the Km. The staff at the mega electronics store was quite interested in my kx when he saw me taking photos... :)

not sure if u r referring to me
sorry that i cannot help since i am not staying at kl, i stay at Kluang nearest town is Batu Pahat.

i am eagerly to look for a add on lens,i like to take street road, could anyone please suggest?

becoz i have a credit card that enable me to make my transaction amount of more than rm3000 into 30 installment for additional 5% only.where else if above rm2k then i will be able to make it into 20 installment.

i like to take photo for close up of insect/flower and street photo/building and i like wide angle

hi to all Kx user

pls share how many photo u manage to snap with single charge of batteries.

You might want to wait for a while co'z they haven't finished their first charge... :bsmilie:

haha

i think u get me wrong,i just wan to find out Kx performance in power consuming

not sure if u r referring to me
sorry that i cannot help since i am not staying at kl, i stay at Kluang nearest town is Batu Pahat.

Yeah... was referring to you but did not mention your nick. Sorry, Bro.
No problem on the info. If you do get info, do share on the pricelist thread through Gengh.
Cheers :)

Yeah

I have finally burn a hole in my wallet by getting myself the k20d,bought at rm2477 with 8gb SDHC,and a bag. then add rm200 for another 2years warranty. And lastly,make it into 12 mths installment with additional charges of 5%,rm 234 per month. Add another rm35 to get a cokin uv filter

I made the decision by holding the Kx in my hand today, lighter than my k20d but the hand grip is tiny and feel not secure to hold becoz of unbalance wieght. some more i have to add another rm150 to buy the sanyo eneloop charges plus 4 AAs. And thing is, it come with DA-L 18-55 unlike my k20d kit lens which is DA II

The KX and K7 has been getting all the updates recently if i remember correctly.

K20D still has yet to get a significant one. either

1. too perfect already that any more update may affect the K7 sales strategy.

2. the software too complex that the programmers that tried updating it are in a mental asylum.

3. not cost feasible.

4. still in progress.

any theories?

For the K20D, more or less i have resigned to using MF unless its a bright day where i might use the AF. The auto focusing algorithms needs an update imo. An AA battery grip would be nice to have for travelling use.

Last edited:
Yeah

I have finally burn a hole in my wallet by getting myself the k20d,bought at rm2477 with 8gb SDHC,and a bag. then add rm200 for another 2years warranty. And lastly,make it into 12 mths installment with additional charges of 5%,rm 234 per month. Add another rm35 to get a cokin uv filter

I made the decision by holding the Kx in my hand today, lighter than my k20d but the hand grip is tiny and feel not secure to hold becoz of unbalance wieght. some more i have to add another rm150 to buy the sanyo eneloop charges plus 4 AAs. And thing is, it come with DA-L 18-55 unlike my k20d kit lens which is DA II

congrats! welcome to the rebellion! All of you seems to have large hands judging from your conclusions. i find the camera right-sized and the grip is just right too. Remember balance is subjective. To balance you will need counterweights and this makes the camera heavier. That is why I avoid battery grips like the plague. :)

Dear Pentaxians,

I've got some questions to ask. With regards to K-X, how is it so called comparable to sony alpha 500? Are the lenses limited and more expensive compared to sony? How abt the battery life? able to use lithum ion batteries?

Many Thanks!

Last edited:
I've got some questions to ask. With regards to K-X, how is it so called comparable to sony alpha 500? Are the lenses limited and more expensive compared to sony? How abt the battery life? able to use lithum ion batteries?

Between the a500 and the K-x, it pretty much depends on which is more important to you. The Sony a500 can do Phase Detect AF in live view, which is faster than Contrast Detect AF that just about other live view implementations use. The Pentax K-x can do video recording that the a500 can't do.

Thank you for your replies.

In fact i did go down to CP to just have a feel of the cameras. The salesperson was just telling me all about A500 due to the fact of the promo that comes with the vertical grip. He was kinda reluctant to show me the K-X. When he showed me the K-x, the K-X was somehow smaller as the k-x is not attached with vertical grip.

So my next question being, does the pentax k-x have vertical grip cause i do have large palms? and are the lenses more expensive?

I tried holding the k-x, w/o lens attached and somehow i love the basic controls on the camera..haha

Thanks

Last edited:
In fact i did go down to CP to just have a feel of the cameras. The salesperson was just telling me all about A500 due to the fact of the promo that comes with the vertical grip. He was kinda reluctant to show me the K-X. When he showed me the K-x, the K-X was somehow smaller as the k-x is not attached with vertical grip.

So my next question being, does the pentax k-x have vertical grip cause i do have large palms? and are the lenses more expensive?

Thanks

Because his commission for the K-x is lower than the A500? :bsmilie:

I don't think there's a vertical grip for the K-x, although the almost similar sized K-7 has one. I have large hands too and both cameras leave my pinky at a somewhat inconvenient position. (Needs more fondling perhaps?) :bsmilie:

As for expensive, Pentax has the best bang for buck lenses, even with the recent price hike. (It used to be the lowest priced among all brands as late as a year ago. Dunno if it still applies) You can check the price guides section for comparison. But what I do know is that Pentax has a great line-up of backwards-compatible legacy lenses. (if not, the best) :cool:

Thank you for your replies.

I tried holding the k-x, w/o lens attached and somehow i love the basic controls on the camera..haha

Thanks

Salesman is trying to push you an older model. The A550 is out now, so A500 has got to go. :)
What for pay more or as much for yesterdays model which indeed has lower performance and less features?

Pentax has the cheapest lenses even now. Just do a lens to lens comparison using the prices from the Price Guide Section.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124
Add in the many manual lenses you can directly use, and its even cheaper.

I thought A500 and A550 is released at the same time...

BTW, if they claim that the sensor is the same with A500. I would go for k-x for the extra bucks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.