K20 price drop ; possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Knight

Jul 21, 2008
Singapore
is it possible that the price of the K20 will drop sometime soon?
I'm looking at the pentax range(didnt like the feel of the k200) and was wondering if the price will drop anytime soon.

Any info much appreciated!
thanks!

prices *normally* drop when there is a reason.

there is normally always a natural drop, but that is a very slow gradual drop. pentax doesn't keep pumping out new rebadged cameras like there's no tmr.. so frankly speaking, unless they end up copying others.. i don't foresee that the k20d will drop drastically until the next new model comes out.

prices *normally* drop when there is a reason.

there is normally always a natural drop, but that is a very slow gradual drop. pentax doesn't keep pumping out new rebadged cameras like there's no tmr.. so frankly speaking, unless they end up copying others.. i don't foresee that the k20d will drop drastically until the next new model comes out.

That's what's good about Pentax - They don't come out with so many different variants so fast. But that may also suggest that their RnD isn't quick enough to address the concerns the users have.

Anyways, to me, it makes more sense for me to buy something that doesn't have a replacement model in 6 mths or less!!

That's what's good about Pentax - They don't come out with so many different variants so fast. But that may also suggest that their RnD isn't quick enough to address the concerns the users have.

Anyways, to me, it makes more sense for me to buy something that doesn't have a replacement model in 6 mths or less!!

not so sure.. i think actually a year or so is a good interval. there is no real point in throwing out something new just for the sake of throwing out something new. sure, you might add in something, but it's crystal clear that the company will be trying to milk the market (and that's really nothing wrong from the company's pov) for all it's worth.

personally based on comparison of test results, be as objective as i can be.. you realise that pumping out new models just results in basically rebadging and throwing in a little bit more. for the things that really count and what i guess, people who're into photography would really care about.. that's another story altogether.

hmm.. ok i guess then i'll just have to save more ;)
thanks!

I think the price won't drop that much locally but if you have friends going to USA or HK or Taiwan then you can consider asking them to help you.

Or, instead of waiting and missing shots, get a dirt-cheap 2nd-hand K100DS or even *ist, and start shooting NOW. :D They're all wonderful cameras, and having the latest and greatest may be overkill. (It is for me, cos of my modest skills!)

When K30D comes out, you can snag a K20D for a much lower price. And keep the first camera as a backup. Or even use both (with different lenses attached, especially for events shooting).

That's my plan anyway :p

Or, instead of waiting and missing shots, get a dirt-cheap 2nd-hand K100DS or even *ist, and start shooting NOW. :D They're all wonderful cameras, and having the latest and greatest may be overkill. (It is for me, cos of my modest skills!)

When K30D comes out, you can snag a K20D for a much lower price. And keep the first camera as a backup. Or even use both (with different lenses attached, especially for events shooting).

That's my plan anyway :p

That assumption is valid only if there are plenty of camera bodies sitting on camera shelves.
Not so with Pentax. There is little or no inventory overhang to warrant a dramatic price drop.

Take the case of the K10D locally, there wasn't any dramatic price fall when the K20D came out. Whatever models that were on the shops were snapped up because of the more than $600 price difference between the new camera and the K10D, and whatever balance stock was quickly withdrawn. I expect the same scenario with whatever new replacement model for the K20D. In fact my gut feeling tells me the new flagship camera will be even more expensive than the current K20D...

That assumption is valid only if there are plenty of camera bodies sitting on camera shelves.
Not so with Pentax. There is little or no inventory overhang to warrant a dramatic price drop.

Take the case of the K10D locally, there wasn't any dramatic price fall when the K20D came out. Whatever models that were on the shops were snapped up because of the more than $600 price difference between the new camera and the K10D, and whatever balance stock was quickly withdrawn. I expect the same scenario with whatever new replacement model for the K20D. In fact my gut feeling tells me the new flagship camera will be even more expensive than the current K20D...

Oops, sorry. I mean, snag a SECOND-HAND K20D when K30D or whatever next version is out. Not buy it new.

I agree with you; I think for K20D new.. probably not that dramatic a drop. I wouldn't buy it new, or even 2nd-hand currently. Only will get it 2nd-hand when K30D is out, the combined factors should drop the price enough for me to get one then. :)

Oops, sorry. I mean, snag a SECOND-HAND K20D when K30D or whatever next version is out. Not buy it new.

I agree with you; I think for K20D new.. probably not that dramatic a drop. I wouldn't buy it new, or even 2nd-hand currently. Only will get it 2nd-hand when K30D is out, the combined factors should drop the price enough for me to get one then. :)

The K20D is such a good camera that I doubt many will opt to upgrade anytime soon, though there I am sure there are a few that will get their hands on whatever that's new. ;) :cool:
Even if a new flagship body comes along, I seriously doubt the second-hand price of the K20D will drop much. Few will sell, and the price of whatever new replacement camera will go up, not down.

Last edited:
The K20D is such a good camera that I doubt many will opt to upgrade anytime soon, though there I am sure there are a few that will get their hands on whatever that's new. ;) :cool:
Even if a new flagship body comes along, I seriously doubt the second-hand price of the K20D will drop much. Few will sell, and the price of whatever new replacement camera will go up, not down.

Haha! I think that's exactly what many K10D owners thought when the K10D was the flagship :p

And look how many have jumped to K20D already.. not a small number.

We'll see what K30D brings and its pricing. Pentax can't ignore the new stuff from Canikon, not if it wants to keep itself attractive to converts and current users, so that may be a big factor promoting it to go all out for the next upgrade.

Well, let's see..

no more $$$ liao.. :sweat::sweat:

but luckily, what i get out of the k20d is really worth what i paid.. :bsmilie:

Even K30D or K1D comes out, I won't upgrade from the beloved K20D :)

But if Kevin calls me up again when a new better model comes to town, I might not be able to resist the temptation :dunno:

But if Kevin calls me up again when a new better model comes to town, I might not be able to resist the temptation :dunno:

Aiyah Bro, no matter how, when better model comes out you sure won't be able to resist the temptation.:bsmilie:

I am still using K10D, shutter count 19K since dec 06 I think.

K20D, "Money No enuf":bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

K10d, my first digital slr, hardy and still no urge to upgrade cos it serves me well.

Wah this hobby is expensive, upgrading every now and then. :bsmilie:

otc

Ha, ha, bro... that's like saying the sun is not going to rise tomorrow...
Anyway I'll believe it when the next Pentax camera is rolled out. :bsmilie:

K10d, my first digital slr, hardy and still no urge to upgrade cos it serves me well.

otc

As you shoot macro a lot, you must surely consider the K20D.
Lower noise, better resolution (helps if you need to crop) and better colour rendition.
With a quieter shutter, you won't be disturbing the insects & critters too much.
(Trying hard to psycho you mate) :bsmilie:

otc

What creampuff said is kinda true, but it's already Sept. K20D is good but not good enough yet. Based on current trend, I'm betting the next model should have ISO6400 H1/H2 ISO25600^^ If anyone wondering why high ISO is good for macro, the answer is the bokeh. High ISO with or without flash when using narrow aperture will give u smooth well lit bokeh (provided the noise control is good). Current ISO3200 is may usable but not acceptable for a good macro shot.

So otc bro if u wanna upgrade wait and see if the next model can give u ISO3200 that matches current ISO800 or ISO1600 on K20D^^

LONGKO,

u r right, wait for the next body and should not be too far too. Higher ISO and low noise suits my needs but I have not try any yet.
Smaller aperture, high ISO, usable 3200 or 6400, ideally higher shutter speed without noise, not too expensive a body:bsmilie: otherswise a lobang in my pocket.

By past precedents, when new model comes out, Fengwei will b the first to get it, as 1st des said, very hard to resist...follow by regulars here, flowerpot, bernard, creampuff and many others... Me, the last cos I need calculator to calculate over and over. :think::bsmilie:

Are we expecting a new model every 12 to 15 months? So a price drop of at least 30 percent when new models are out, when user upgrades and throw their existing body in the secondary market. Dealer may still hold onto the price tag or maybe a slight discount.

Hey, have we really sit back and tabulate the amount we have invested in this hobby. Me, more than 5k and less than 10 K I think.. Expensive really with this addiction.:sweat:

otc

how about in the upcoming photokina ( not sure if its spelled correctly :dunno: )
any chance of a new model then?

Status
Not open for further replies.