K100D with Jupiter 9 85/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Maybe this should go to the 'OTHERS' subforum, but I'd always found that it too wide a subforum with its various topics and can actually fail to help out those looking for information. Since these were done on a Pentax K100D and its actually a lens that can easily be adapted to Pentax use via a M42>K-mount adapter. I've posted it here for the benefit of Pentaxians who may consider this lens for a budget portrait lens option.

This is to show others what to expect with the lens. I've chosen to shoot up till f4 as it only gets sharper after that. All shots at ISO800 due to low light conditions. Focus point is on the eyes.

F2
J9f2.jpg

Not sharp at all. Those who think they will get a fast f2 lens, would like to reconsider. What is good though is the softness that hides blemishes very well. A fast falloff in DOF, but then its soft all over anyway.

F2.4
J9f2-4.jpg

A slight improvement from f2. I'd say its generally the same.

F2.8
J9f2-8.jpg

What I'd consider acceptable sharpness. I would use this more often for portraits that are a bit sharp at the point of focus.

F4
J9f4.jpg

Good sharpness for most uses.
Now compare this to pict one again and see how the 'pimples' on the bridge of nose, and above the eyebrows has appeared with this sharpness, while f2 to f2.8 gives a 'covered up' look.

Between f2.8, f4 and f5.6 it would depend on the DOF required.
f2 and f2.4 is more for unique effects

Last edited:
Ah... an M42 Maoist review... :bsmilie:
The lens is tad too soft at maximum aperture for my liking... from your test shots, I think it is usable only from f/2.8. Diffraction I guess.

The infamous Jupiter 9. The "dreamy" lens, both literally and figuratively. :bsmilie: I've been meaning to get my hands on one, but the whole "you never know what you're gonna get" feeling keeps me at bay.

Might want to retest on lower ISO though. ISO 800 on K100D is kinda pushing it. Then again, 2 stops is usually where sharpness sets in for most lenses.

Hey, nice review. It is of my opinion that local resources on Pentax equipment is very little. "Pentaxian wannabe" with little finance and happen to be looking at this lens will find this beneficial, so I do appreciate your effort and you have my mental support. Do try to be more concise and descriptive of your experience with this lens so that potential wannabe can tap on your actual user experiences, etc. posting actual portraits pictures if that is possible. I would think that it would be a sorry sight if local "Pentaxian wannabe" find our Pentax community with no local resources to tap on and find everything abroad. If we Pentaxians want this community to grow, then we should thinking in that direction, rather then we Pentaxians play only with ourselves, what is the point? I started posting individual threads on lenses because I think if someone wants to search DA35mm ltd and the DA 50-135, at least he got something to see, look and expect, rather then looking thru the thread on share post as it can be exhausting. It is at least a local resource. I apologise if this post offend anyone here, it is not of my interest to do so.

So guys, give him your earnest support. Contribute positively to his thread if you think he misses something. ;)

Pinholecam :thumbsup:

Hey, nice review. It is of my opinion that local resources on Pentax equipment is very little. "Pentaxian wannabe" with little finance and happen to be looking at this lens will find this beneficial, so I do appreciate your effort and you have my mental support. Do try to be more concise and descriptive of your experience with this lens so that potential wannabe can tap on your actual user experiences, etc. posting actual portraits pictures if that is possible. I would think that it would be a sorry sight if local "Pentaxian wannabe" find our Pentax community with no local resources to tap on and find everything abroad. If we Pentaxians want this community to grow, then we should thinking in that direction, rather then we Pentaxians play only with ourselves, what is the point? I started posting individual threads on lenses because I think if someone wants to search DA35mm ltd and the DA 50-135, at least he got something to see, look and expect, rather then looking thru the thread on share post as it can be exhausting. It is at least a local resource. I apologise if this post offend anyone here, it is not of my interest to do so.

So guys, give him your earnest support. Contribute positively to his thread if you think he misses something. ;)

Pinholecam :thumbsup:

You want to find the best resources on Pentax gear locally? My suggestion is to join the monthly Pentax photo outings.
Seriously there's so much of sharing of info and many, myself included have had the benefit to try out different stuff courtesy of other Pentax friends, and probably more importantly learn best practices and know how from others.
I dare say that our Pentax users here are a very informative lot, who probably know a lot more than some others on other forums elsewhere. ;)

Hi Creampuff,

I can understand the benefits from the outing, no question about that. I think the point here is pinholecam is trying to contribute his experience here for this lens and it is a resource for someone who is looking for it locally. So if those who have more experiences and knowledge can contribute positively to his article, isn't that nice? :)

Last edited:
simdavid, you've stated that"local resources on Pentax equipment is very little" and go on to say "I would think that it would be a sorry sight if local "Pentaxian wannabe" find our Pentax community with no local resources to tap on and find everything abroad. If we Pentaxians want this community to grow, then we should thinking in that direction, rather then we Pentaxians play only with ourselves, what is the point?"

My point is what's the big deal about local resources? There are already plenty of information and sample images on this and other legacy lenses online that is quite readily available with a simple online search. Go to flickr and there are far more quantity and variety of images to view than what any particular site or thread can achieve. Now this is not to put down anybody's efforts, least of all the OP's but realistically speaking, this lens isn't particularly plentiful even on eBay, what more locally in the shops, so the idea of having "local resources" at least in this instance is pretty meaningless. In fact given the resourcefulness of local Pentax users in sourcing out and getting gear outside Singapore, I have no doubt most would have little trouble to find specific info on gear related stuff like this Jupiter 9.

As I have suggested in the past, if we all can include specific camera and lens info and retain the exif info/metadata when we post photos in the Share your photos by a Pentax camera threads, it would be a benefit for everyone and make searching far easier. No need to then start specific threads for images from a particular lens.

With regards to your comments on the local Pentax community, I can assure you it is slowly but steadily growing but perhaps you need to take the opportunity to join in at the monthly meet-ups to get a fairer idea of this.

simdavid, all, Thanks for the encouragement. :)

Ah... an M42 Maoist review... :bsmilie:
The lens is tad too soft at maximum aperture for my liking... from your test shots, I think it is usable only from f/2.8. Diffraction I guess.
>> Totally agree.

The infamous Jupiter 9. The "dreamy" lens, both literally and figuratively. :bsmilie: I've been meaning to get my hands on one, but the whole "you never know what you're gonna get" feeling keeps me at bay.

how big is mao head in actual size...
>> about the size of a fist

One of the reasons I posted this in the 1st place is to show off what to expect from this lens. There are a lot of info out there about the lens having character, 'bokeh king', portrait lens, etc. But when I got it, I was initially frustrated with it at f2. If was so soft to be unusable. Did I get a lemon?
I did search around for more pictures and there are many claims out there that its rather sharp at POF and soft all over (like a 50/1.4). The lack of exif data for aperture certainly did not help. Maybe the reviewer/poster forgot or mixed up the f-stop values? Or maybe the posted images were just too small to discern sharpness.
Eventually, I managed to find a couple of images that correlated with mine. So I'm rather convinced that the lens is characteristically as what I've posted. There may be better copies out there, but at least I know there are ones that are like mine as well. If anyone has better copies of the lens, do post up sample pics.

Good summary pinholecam.
Actually this thread can be the basis of a dedicated Pentax legacy lenses thread incorporating M42 screw mount, K-mount or whatever 'Cha-Pa-Lang' (Mixture) kinda mount... yeah including M39 screw mount, Leica, Contax/CY, Nikon, Minolta reverse engineering adaptations. There are tons of "oldie but goodie" lenses to play-play, discover and have fun when you're using a Pentax...

Last edited:
Thxs for the test... I wanted to get 1 as I also heard great review about this lens... Now by the look of it I had pull my handbrake...

Thxs beside I am a Fuji user... But can help coming back here to look at the great photos produce by the Pentax...;)

Thxs for the test... I wanted to get 1 as I also heard great review about this lens... Now by the look of it I had pull my handbrake...

Thxs beside I am a Fuji user... But can help coming back here to look at the great photos produce by the Pentax...;)

No prob :)
Yes, if you want something reasonably sharp at wide open, this lens is not it.

In case I've given a bad name to this lens. Let me add some more sample picts. Why its a love and hate lens for me. I am too poor to engage XMM but I'm lucky I've a XMM at home who will work for milk (actually more like I work for her) :D

Taken at F2
IMGP9592-bwJ9f2.jpg

For my low standards, there is no 'wrong' in this picture. so what if its soft. It captures the scene and moment well enough given the lighting condition indoors. In this size of an image, I would say its 'ok'

Another at F2
IMGP0390J9f2.jpg

Why not this picture? Timeless moment for w/ this cheeky expression. Softness and low DOF works here as well.

F5.6
IMGP0507-1J95-6.jpg

Sharp. So this lens is soft if you want, sharp if necessary

F5.6
IMGP0509J95-6.jpg

Sharp again at f5.6. But then in a way its 'not that good' since sharpness comes with increased DOF and the messy white bedspread is shown out clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.