K100D shutter not firing

caterham7

May 10, 2005
Just when I was telling myself not to think about the Olympus OM-D, my K100D just suddenly died.

The shutter does not fire; camera can power up; tried switching to MF, still the shutter cannot fire; checked shutter count online [18,587]

Anything else I can try?

I suppose the last step is to bring it to the service centre to get a quote on how much to repair...

pinholecam

Staff member
Jul 23, 2007
Just when I was telling myself not to think about the Olympus OM-D, my K100D just suddenly died.

The shutter does not fire; camera can power up; tried switching to MF, still the shutter cannot fire; checked shutter count online [18,587]

Anything else I can try?

I suppose the last step is to bring it to the service centre to get a quote on how much to repair...
Has the camera confirmed focus (else it may be in focus priority and refusing to fire).
However, I do remember that for K100D, the shutter releases w/o need for focus priority. :think:
Else check if you enabled shutter to fire w/o lens (eg. for manual lenses)
Finally, maybe try a new set of batteries??

Whichever way you try to repair it, its probably at least ~$120 service fee + ?? parts.
A 2nd hand K100D is probably no more than $250-$300 ( I sold mine 3yrs back at $350, so it can never be higher).
Just bite the bullet and get a K01 or K30.
Else even a 2nd hand Kx.

OM-D?
Its your choice of course, but coming from a m4/3 user, I'd say that file quality wise, Kx onwards still betters m4/3.
In fact I'm selling off my m4/3 stuff after dabbling with it.
End of the day, I just felt that the files from the K5 was so damn good that very few cameras match it. (as is K01; K30)

caterham7

May 10, 2005
Has the camera confirmed focus (else it may be in focus priority and refusing to fire).
However, I do remember that for K100D, the shutter releases w/o need for focus priority. :think:
Else check if you enabled shutter to fire w/o lens (eg. for manual lenses)
Finally, maybe try a new set of batteries??

Whichever way you try to repair it, its probably at least ~$120 service fee + ?? parts.
A 2nd hand K100D is probably no more than $250-$300 ( I sold mine 3yrs back at $350, so it can never be higher).
Just bite the bullet and get a K01 or K30.
Else even a 2nd hand Kx.

OM-D?
Its your choice of course, but coming from a m4/3 user, I'd say that file quality wise, Kx onwards still betters m4/3.
In fact I'm selling off my m4/3 stuff after dabbling with it.
End of the day, I just felt that the files from the K5 was so damn good that very few cameras match it. (as is K01; K30)
Thanks for the suggestions

Just tried firing without lens. Both shutter and sensor works, i.e. mirror flips, shutter fires, image appears.

Tried with 3 lens, camera does not AF or fire shutter.

Seems like the lens not "communicating" properly with the camera body; maybe lens mount issue?

caterham7

May 10, 2005
It lives :)

Changed custom setting to enable AF using the centre OK button.

Camera now AF and fires. Have to get used to separate buttons for AF & firing shutter, but should be ok.

So perhaps it was the half-press AF mechanism that failed?

Sorry to trouble the forumers :)

Top Bottom