K100d or Canon powershot

Status
Not open for further replies.

desmondnwx

May 19, 2007
bukit merah view
www.flickr.com
i have finally save up for my k100d when my friend told me about this canon powershot s5 in straits time digital life today going at 799 ( not to include hidden charges ). By the way, i was about to visit SLS to get my pentax this weekend. i read reviews on both and i need advise on the camera. advices are appericated

i suggest pentax guys know well enough how a k100d works and so this is a link of canon s5
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07050703canons5is.asp

:)

You can get the Canon S5 at about $700 in shops like MS colour, alan photo etc. It's around $100 dollar cheaper than the list price.:)

For a start, in terms of focal length, if you purchase K100D kit, S5 would win, because it has a further range, while on the K100D, you have to purchase a seperate zoom lens (around the range of SGD 300). However, on the wide side, the S5 starts at 36mm, while the Kit starts at 28mm. Two winners

If you need movie, S5 wins

Sensor: S5 uses a rather smaller sensor than the K100D, so noise of S5 should be higher(thought I have not read the reviews of S5, but being a K100D owner, I have experienced good noise levels) Winner: K100D

Both has IS/SR. Two winners

K100D's highest ISO is ISO 3200, S5 ISO 1600. Winner: K100D(IMHO)

S5's burst mode is at 1.5fps until card is full, while K100D's burst mode is about 2.6fps, for about 5 frames JPEG, where the buffer gets full, so have to wait for the camera to clear the buffer first. But based on experience, on JPEG, not really a problem, but using RAW, :nono: :nono: :nono: Two winners(IMHO)

S5's weight: 450 g(no battery)
K100D's wight: 565g(no lens and battery)
Winner: S5

Both the K100D and S5 have the ability to use the common AA, so two winners

K100D's shutter speed: Bulb - 1/4000th
S5's shutter speed: 15s - 1/3200th
Winner: K100D

AF: Maybe it is not fair to compare AF between 2 different brands, but shall do it anyway;p
K100D: 11points
S5:
AiAF (Face Detection / 9-point)
1-point AF (Fixed center)

I strongly suggest that you go to a shop where you can have hands on on both cameras, and from there, you can decide which is more suitable for your needs. :)

Oh yes, if you cannot get used to squinting your eye, S5 would be the winner for its live view.

I don't think they're comparable cameras. If you want to have photographic control, shallow depth of field, or shoot in low light situations, the K100D wins.

If you just want long telephoto capability, and shooting videos is important, the S5 wins.

I own a Pentax dslr cam, but I thinking of buying a Canon S5 to shoot photos & take videos of pop concerts where dslr cam are banned ;p

If you're not so sure, get a Powershot first; can consider the other prosumers as well, all will be around this price of around $700 I think.

If you're very sure, then get a K100D, control and image quality wise, no prosumer can compare wtih a DSLR; you can produce good images with a prosumer indeed but there are many many limitations to what it can do. The other day I looked at some of my H2 pictures and I realised that there was a lot of noise even at the ISO 80 levels, which is immensely painful.

Not sure about S5 IS, never used Canon prosumer before, but definitely knowing what you want out of your camera goes a long way in deciding which camera you should buy. If you have limited knowledge with regards to manual control, perhaps it is best to get the prosumer first. After all, you can always upgrade later on and keep the prosumer as a backup or holiday camera.

Don't waste your money getting a camera with a crappy sensor like the S5. A camera like the K100D with the 16-45mm f4 zoom beats the pants off the S5 anytime. There is just no comparision between the image quality of an APS sized sensor vs a miserable 1/2.5" teeny weeny crappy ISO200 and above image quality.

If you're not so sure, get a Powershot first; can consider the other prosumers as well, all will be around this price of around $700 I think.

If you're very sure, then get a K100D, control and image quality wise, no prosumer can compare wtih a DSLR; you can produce good images with a prosumer indeed but there are many many limitations to what it can do. The other day I looked at some of my H2 pictures and I realised that there was a lot of noise even at the ISO 80 levels, which is immensely painful.

Not sure about S5 IS, never used Canon prosumer before, but definitely knowing what you want out of your camera goes a long way in deciding which camera you should buy. If you have limited knowledge with regards to manual control, perhaps it is best to get the prosumer first. After all, you can always upgrade later on and keep the prosumer as a backup or holiday camera.

i get what you mean of "step by step"? thing. actually, i'm not very familiar with manual controls. i do try to read up, didnt get much info. i believe "exprience" would make all these up? haha anyone?>

i get what you mean of "step by step"? thing. actually, i'm not very familiar with manual controls. i do try to read up, didnt get much info. i believe "exprience" would make all these up? haha anyone?>

read www.photo.net and www.luminous-landscape.com - the learning sections.

It really depends on how interested you are about viewing photography as a hobby rather than thinking of a camera as something simply to take snapshots with - it's easier to just use a P&S in many situations, especially since current technology is pretty advanced.

To be honest, unless you actually understand aperture/shutter/exposure etc. and the effect these have on a photograph, you might be disappointed with the results from a DSLR. Small sensor cameras disguise many flaws far more effectively, mainly because they usually have such a great depth of field (and also because a viewer is likely to be less critical). (Also, auto white balance tends to suck more in dslrs).

Of course, to be an excellent photographer you don't need a dslr. Composition is terribly important, and that's something which has to be done with any camera.

Hi desmondnwx
Essentially you are asking us to choose between a helicopter and a speedboat. The helipcopter cost more but it can fly!

They are 2 different animals catering to different needs.

For comparison, you should be pitting the S5 against the Lumix FZ8 or the Sony H5..all 3 of which are in the same class, i.e. stabilised CCD with long telepoto point and shoot cameras.

For the K100D, its main competitors would have been the Canon400D, Nikon D40 and the new Olympus 410.

If you're those who want hassle free photography and not too particular about image possibilities, the P&S will do. DSLR often can produce better shots but only if you do it correctly and spend time to learn about shutter and apertures. I'm still learning and still clueless !:) Occasionally, will use a P&S for its portability.

read www.photo.net and www.luminous-landscape.com - the learning sections.

It really depends on how interested you are about viewing photography as a hobby rather than thinking of a camera as something simply to take snapshots with - it's easier to just use a P&S in many situations, especially since current technology is pretty advanced.

To be honest, unless you actually understand aperture/shutter/exposure etc. and the effect these have on a photograph, you might be disappointed with the results from a DSLR. Small sensor cameras disguise many flaws far more effectively, mainly because they usually have such a great depth of field (and also because a viewer is likely to be less critical). (Also, auto white balance tends to suck more in dslrs).

Of course, to be an excellent photographer you don't need a dslr. Composition is terribly important, and that's something which has to be done with any camera.

thanks, that actually discourage me from my k100d:( HOWEVER, you're right. i know picking up photography with a DSLR maybe difficult. or its actually difficult if you have limited knowledge about it. guess i need learn more. but anyway i hope i wont bring the face of the pentax down.:cool:

Hi desmondnwx
Essentially you are asking us to choose between a helicopter and a speedboat. The helipcopter cost more but it can fly!

They are 2 different animals catering to different needs.

For comparison, you should be pitting the S5 against the Lumix FZ8 or the Sony H5..all 3 of which are in the same class, i.e. stabilised CCD with long telepoto point and shoot cameras.

For the K100D, its main competitors would have been the Canon400D, Nikon D40 and the new Olympus 410.

If you're those who want hassle free photography and not too particular about image possibilities, the P&S will do. DSLR often can produce better shots but only if you do it correctly and spend time to learn about shutter and apertures. I'm still learning and still clueless !:) Occasionally, will use a P&S for its portability.

your e.g is GOOD. would anyone teach me from scratch!:think:
thanks airconvent ! cheers

thanks, that actually discourage me from my k100d:( HOWEVER, you're right. i know picking up photography with a DSLR maybe difficult. or its actually difficult if you have limited knowledge about it. guess i need learn more. but anyway i hope i wont bring the face of the pentax down.:cool:

You will be far far far far far far more dissapointed with the S5 IQ. :devil:

Don't be discouraged. Disclosure, I own a K100D ;)

Note what I'm going to say next, however...

Don't waste your money getting a camera with a crappy sensor like the S5. A camera like the K100D with the 16-45mm f4 zoom beats the pants off the S5 anytime. There is just no comparision between the image quality of an APS sized sensor vs a miserable 1/2.5" teeny weeny crappy ISO200 and above image quality.

Wrong!

The S5 has it's place, as does the K100D. In good conditions (nice sunny days) the difference is only perceivable if you actually look at individual pixels.

And how are you going to take videos with the K100d, or zoom to 300mm equivalent with the 16-45?

The S5 has it's place, as does the K100D. In good conditions (nice sunny days) the difference is only perceivable if you actually look at individual pixels.

And how are you going to take videos with the K100d, or zoom to 300mm equivalent with the 16-45?

The S5 probably has it's place, in the dustbin. :sweatsm:

Now how many times do you get good conditions when you shoot? What's more important in a camera, image quality at a wider spectrum of lighting conditions OR nice specifications but limited mainly to outdoors?

To take nice photos, all it takes is some knowledge about light and an eye for composition both of which can be trained, but on many occassions a reasonably good camera that allows for flexibility in different lighting conditions.

if you like something that can carry comfortably everyday in your pocket then forget the above 2 cameras..... get a p&s like panasonic tz3 which cover 28-280 or panasonic lx2 which gives you raw processing or ricoh gx100 which cover 24-75 and gives you raw processing.......
if you intend to carry a camera like s5, i suggest you go for k100d which gives you future photographic expansion like additional flash add-on, lens changing, hassle in cleaning your sensor heheee, etc... and most important, image quality..... for slightly higher price....

panasonic tz3 which cover 28-280

+++

I think the real fight is between something like this and the K100D - pity it doesn't allow you to zoom when making movies.

-excellent- lens though.

The thing about buying a dSLR is that you don't just buy the camera. You must remember other investments such as lens, flash, filters, remote, sensor cleaning kits, bags, memory cards, the list goes on. Lens is a big problem with dSLR, LBA, or once you try a f2,8 lens, you would want to convert all your lens to f2,8 lenses, which are really expensive.

Anyway, ask yourself, are you willing to spend on these items? If no, then a PnS is for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.