K10 with 950nm IR Filter.. can't work?

epileatheral

Dec 4, 2008
I just bought a 950nm IR Filter to try out on my K10. I put it on and tried some shooting. But no matter how long I set my shutter, I get nothing but darkness. My apperture is 6.3 on my Kit lens, and ISO is 200. I expose it for almost 5 mins.

Is there anything wrong? Hope someone can enlighten me.

when did you shoot? daytime or nighttime

950nm cuts out a lot of light, couple that to the fact that k10d before mod is very insensitive to IR, 5 minutes is nothing.

I shot in the evening.. it was rather dark. So, I have to shoot in a SUPER BRIGHT day to get something? Wow! 5 mins is nothing? OMG... I probably have to crank up my ISO then.

you need sunlight to get IR.. evening IR is next to impossible when your camera is not sensitive la.

i remember playing with some of the pentaxians' k10d for IR, something like iso100 or something... with f/4 and 2 minutes? in bright sunlight. that's with 720nm too (hoya r72)... i have never used a 950nm before, but you will expect to get monochrome images.. and i think you're in for a long wait.

can ask istDS or creampuff... i think it was one of theirs. :)

you need sunlight to get IR.. evening IR is next to impossible when your camera is not sensitive la.

i remember playing with some of the pentaxians' k10d for IR, something like iso100 or something... with f/4 and 2 minutes? in bright sunlight. that's with 720nm too (hoya r72)... i have never used a 950nm before, but you will expect to get monochrome images.. and i think you're in for a long wait.

can ask istDS or creampuff... i think it was one of theirs. :)

one of the tests i learnt was to aim the remote of ur tv at the cam and press e buttons a few times..
if it can register means got hope.

AH! okay! I try that now!

Ah.. I do get some registers of red dots!

Ah.. I do get some registers of red dots!

so now u juz have to pick a bright sunny day (noontime is gd) and work out how late u can stay out b4 u have to pack up..
oh, remember sun block! :bsmilie:

one of the tests i learnt was to aim the remote of ur tv at the cam and press e buttons a few times..
if it can register means got hope.

k10d definitely can take ir

but is VERY LONG EXPOSURE

Yeah.. VERY VERY long exposure. Any idea how long is that long? 15mins? Or even more? Will it fry the sensor?

Yeah.. VERY VERY long exposure. Any idea how long is that long? 15mins? Or even more? Will it fry the sensor?

i won't know.

why don't you get a weaker ir filter to try, it should give ok results.

definitely not 15 minutes la. just wait for better light. like right now, will not be good.

Not 15 mins means.. even more or less? Yeah.. guess I'll have to get a much weaker one.