K-X or K-7 for my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechinesebonbon

Mar 29, 2009
Hey all,

I'm getting a travel camera and would like to know if K-X is okay for the job.

I need it to be able to work well in very cold weather(think russian winters) and very dusty conditions (mini sandstorms in border cities). I'm not going to be an idiot and bring it for white water rafting or start shooting in the middle of tropical storms or anything like that but it might need to stand some light sea spray(on fishing boats) and very humid weather(trekking in tropical forests or seaside towns).

Photo wise, I have BSBH needs. Haha, everything from street candids to landscapes to posed portraits and food macro. I tend to shoot a lot of low light. Again, BSBH low light conditions. Night life. Streets at night. Night lights, etc

I know K-7 is better for different weather conditions and generally a much better cam than the k-x but i don't want to pay more if K-X can get the job done. (El-cheapo here.)

PS: first DSLR so pardon me, I understand dry cabi very important in preventing fungus growth. but if i'm travelling all the time/staying in a foreign country for a couple of months, how am I going to bring my dry cabi with me?!

PPS: err, what are some good starter lens to accomplish everything. (in as few lens as possible. hahs. I'm an overpacker and luggage don't have space as it is already)

The k-7 is weathersealed, so body-wise, you're covered. Pair it with the weather resistant 18-55 and 50-200 WR kits and it should cover everything and you get a pretty tough setup which works in light to moderate rain, dusty places, extreme cold. Throw in a 50 f1.4 for low light conditions. And there you have it.

K-x isn't weathersealed, though its build quality is good. Can it handle those conditions? Maybe, maybe not.

The k-7 is weathersealed, so body-wise, you're covered. Pair it with the weather resistant 18-55 and 50-200 WR kits and it should cover everything and you get a pretty tough setup which works in light to moderate rain, dusty places, extreme cold. Throw in a 50 f1.4 for low light conditions. And there you have it.

K-x isn't weathersealed, though its build quality is good. Can it handle those conditions? Maybe, maybe not.
Good advice. Else, you may want pair it with the DA*16-50 for true weather-sealing.

the k7 does iso 3200 well enough with in-cam NR turned on, better if you'd do NR in post processing, it's not a big issue anymore.

i'd recommend k7, battery grip is available in case you need that extra mileage while travelling (AA/lithium compatible) and hate having that occasional tilted portrait shots without a vertical grip :) downside is a lot more bulk. k7 also has a horizon level indicator which is pretty nifty on/off tripod.

advantage with k-x is you can just use AAs.

as for better lowlight results, k-x or not, your best bet is still to get a tripod and external flash ready. the high iso quality in k-x sounds good, but honestly i hope that ISO >1600 will not be your bread and butter. as prince has stated, a fast lens beats upping ISO flat out.

of course, your wallet dictates everything :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Wow. External flash, tripod, grip.. it's his first DSLR lah. Go easy! :p I would pack say as light as possible, especially when on the move.

Just to give my input, I moved to Beijing last year from Singapore with my older K20D model. Beijing is a very dusty and cold city (now in winter everyday is below zero). So far I have been using my K20D in these conditions for the past 7 months and I'm glad to say its still working as per normal. Out in the freezing weather the cam works fine if you don't always leave it out in the cold. There is one time when I'm out shooting Christmas lights (-10 celcius) and people when my AF540FGZ fail to fire, the AA Eneloops in it was too cold, but my K20D keep on clicking. After going indoors and keeping the AA Eneloops warm again, they work fine. K-x uses AA batts so I don't know if it this will happen on the K-x too. So I believe the K7 would be as good or even better than my K20D in terms of cold/dusty weather performance. I can't comment on the K-x, but I would have more piece of mind with a K-7.

As for dry box, I don't really use them now for their main function but just to store my cam and lenses. As Beijing is a very dry city, no point to have any dry boxes. I'm not sure about cities in Russia, but I guess it will be similar as most Russian cities are not near any sea and most of the time is cold. If you going to humid places as well, K-7 is perfect choice. As mention by le petit prince, get the 2 WR lenses and you will have a worry free trip.

Last edited:
Ooh, first dslr, actually can consider the k10d or k20d. Both are just as weather-sealed and light on the wallet. Perhaps, I am just plain jealous with a k7 for a first dslr. hahah..

really depends how much you want to spend.

If i was in your shoes and looking for a bargain, i would pick up a used K10D/K20D + 18-55 WR for all weather use and a cheap manual 50mm@f/1.8 or better for lowlight but thats me.

as for how durable they are, the K10D has been to outer space and the K20D to me is like an heavy armor battle tank.

As long your camera system at least sees the light of day every few days, dont really need a dry cabinet.

Last edited:
Wow. External flash, tripod, grip.. it's his first DSLR lah. Go easy! :p I would pack say as light as possible, especially when on the move.

i thought TS sounded so serious about low light photography :bsmilie: well TS, K20/K10 with a couple WR lenses are very good choices and pretty economical too..

I agree with those that recommend getting a K10D or K20D first

Frankly, don't waste your time with the discontinued models.
The picture quality and usability from the current crop of cameras (K-7 & K-x) has improved a lot over the older models, especially compared to the K10D. Those cameras were great... then.

Frankly, don't waste your time with the discontinued models.
The picture quality and usability from the current crop of cameras (K-7 & K-x) has improved a lot over the older models, especially compared to the K10D. Those cameras were great... then.
really depends on the user. Myself with a K20D...like no reason to get a K7 though if it had a swivel lcd, i would be very very very tempted.

from what the TS state, it looks like a K10D/K20D would definitely be what TS is looking for.

really depends on the user. Myself with a K20D...like no reason to get a K7 though if it had a swivel lcd, i would be very very very tempted.

from what the TS state, it looks like a K10D/K20D would definitely be what TS is looking for.

After using the K7, I'd never go back to a K20D or K10D :) IQ wise, any dSLR camera will be good enough for most users, even the very first *istD. But operation wise, K20D just can't match K7 imo :)

i thought TS sounded so serious about low light photography :bsmilie: well TS, K20/K10 with a couple WR lenses are very good choices and pretty economical too..

Haha. It's taking pictures of my travels mah. I more active at night so of course more pics at night :bsmilie:

After using the K7, I'd never go back to a K20D or K10D :) IQ wise, any dSLR camera will be good enough for most users, even the very first *istD. But operation wise, K20D just can't match K7 imo :)
different people different requirements. :) I doubt the K7 can match the K20D`s toughness imo. Its like comparing a 1D with the 5D...same job just different ways of doing it.

i myself still waiting for a pro body spec`ed camera with swivel lcd..

Last edited:
So k-x won't do?

I was hoping to get the white one. it's too pretty. :(

btw, how is the low light ability of k-7 after the firmware update compared to k-x? I'm most likely just going to shoot jpeg and not do any post editing at all. too lazy heh.

which one is more important for you?

1) resilience to weather

2) high iso shooting

if it is #1, go for k-7.

if it is #2, go for k-x. simple!

^both! haha. I'll be shooting at night in bad weather.

Just get the K-x and the dual kit lens is good enough. Maybe add a 50mm f/1.4 for low light shooting. If the weather is so extreme (snowing heavily) i think you rather sit in the cafe to have a cup of coffee first rather going out and suffer in the cold. Most think of getting better gears to overcome the snow, sandstorm situation. A showercap from your hotel can help to protect your gear too.

Status
Not open for further replies.