K-X or GF1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummy73

Jan 9, 2010
Thinking of getting either a K-X or GF1 . As my wife and i know nuts abt DSLR. I know GF1 is compact in size but wat abt fuctional wise compare to K-X? my wife like the GF1 and i more economical as KX is cheaper but practically which is more user friendly? Thanks in advance.

if you are unsure, the best bet would be going down to the shops and try out both cameras.

User experience speaks for itself ;)

Hmmm will try to go shop and try...but sometimes u know some shop when u want to try their camera,,they wll start to give faces..but will try Alan photo or cathay tomorrow.

Hmmm will try to go shop and try...but sometimes u know some shop when u want to try their camera,,they wll start to give faces..but will try Alan photo or cathay tomorrow.

If you heading to AP Sim Lim, you can look for Steven, that's the one and only guy I talk to if I get stuff there, other bro here may have someone they know there..... the rest of the sales... no comment.... :rolleyes:........ for CP, generally they are okay.... but then I only go to Peninsula branch and they are not open on Sunday... only their Marina Square branch is open.... good luck in your hunt....... in any case, try out the cam and see which one you prefer...... GF1 for compactness and KX1 is more feature bah....... both got its pro and cons.... a lot of bro here will tell you to get both if got $$$$..... GF1 for your wife, Kx for yourself......

In any case, for the nice Pentax Bro here, go for Kx........ :lovegrin:

Last edited:
Thks for the tips will go down and try to see but maybe will get a slr for my wife if i buy a KX can't afford a kx and GF1 and the same time....hahahahaha

If they give face, just walk out. There's quite a few good camera shops around the Peninsuala / Funan area, if you don't like a shop just go to another. SLR Revolution is another one to go to. I don't think John 3:16 carry Pentax.

BTW, the GF1 is not a DSLR, so be sure you know what it is about and that is what you want before seriously considering it.

I don't think John 3:16 carry Pentax.

they do.

the salesmen will give you a happy face and tell you "wa, pentax.. i can get for you, at very special price". and then make a phone call, and quote you a higher price than other shops in the area offer.

i gave up after a while.

they do.

the salesmen will give you a happy face and tell you "wa, pentax.. i can get for you, at very special price". and then make a phone call, and quote you a higher price than other shops in the area offer.

i gave up after a while.

Hmm... who they trying to con? Considering there's zero marketing or advertising for Pentax in Singapore, anyone asking for Pentax must have done quite a bit of research already.

there's always a Pentax poster outside MS color. Now it's k7, previously was k20. the k20 poster was the first hint for me that Pentax existed and all the research proceeded from there :bsmilie:

Thinking of getting either a K-X or GF1 . As my wife and i know nuts abt DSLR. I know GF1 is compact in size but wat abt fuctional wise compare to K-X? my wife like the GF1 and i more economical as KX is cheaper but practically which is more user friendly? Thanks in advance.

Pentax K-X is a DSLR, whereas the Panasonic GF-1 is not.
It's a technical difference, but it may mean a lot.
The term 'SLR' means 'Single-lens reflex', meaning what you're looking at in the viewfinder is the image coming through the same lens (hence single-lens) and reflected upwards to the viewfinder (hence reflex). The GF-1 has no mirror.

Having to constantly use the "live-view" is not something I can live with. Hence the GF-1 is a no-no for me.
You really have to go down and try them out for yourself to see how you feel.

Can GF1 do a live-view remote shooting from notebook?

I know quite a number of Canon SLR (e.g. 7D) is able to connect via USB to notebook and live view from notebook
and take photo. Maybe 7D is more expensive, but I remember my old Sony digicam T3 can also live view from TV.

I was a user of the GF1 awhile ago and sold it off after I got my KX. Honestly I feel that in terms of IQ, low-noise performance and functions, the KX blows the GF1 out of the water. Both the GF1 and KX are very user-friendly and their menus are easy to navigate around and change settings. Haha but I am quite sure your wife will prefers the GF1.

The only advantage that the GF1 has over KX is it is much lighter and compact especially coupled with the 20mm F1.7 pancake. That is honestly a very good combination to use in day-to-day shooting and in lowlight situations. Currently I am using my KX with the FA35mm F2.0 and I feel its an even better combination considering the fact that the KX performs much better in low-light situations..

If your priority is a camera which is compact/small/light and still gives you close to DSLR quality pictures, go for GF1 + 20mm F1.7. It is really a very fun little camera which I am sure you will enjoy using. As it is built specically for live-view shooting, the LCD screen is very sharp and AF is very fast too. I find the AF comparable to most entry-level DSLRs.

However if your priority is a camera which offers you very good IQ at a very good price (less than $1k) and have a catalogue of very good lenses (once you tried a Pentax lens, you wun turn back liao), get the KX.

Or you can also consider the K7 which is the best camera from Pentax currently. It is a semi-pro camera (in the same league as D300, 7D etc) which is having a promotion and the body is going for less than $1.4k only! That is a steal considering the GF1 dual lenses kit will cost you $1550.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the value pointers..will poison my wife to get the K-X White...Hee hee. Thanks again for all the value information.

Thanks for all the value pointers..will poison my wife to get the K-X White...Hee hee. Thanks again for all the value information.
Red one is nice too, white I think gets dirty easily.

Hahaha... i was thinking the same question b4. And after reading the advise given from all the friendly bros here, i have decided to get a Pentax K-x this weekend. : D

Status
Not open for further replies.