K-x lens

weiwah

Mar 11, 2010
Boon Lay
Hi, I intend to buy Pentax K-x but cant really spend much due to budget constrain( best is <1000 SGD).
Jason (SLR) has quoted me the price:pentax Kx(18-55)- 782.00 SGD

Questions:
1. Do a single 18-55 lens sufficient for beginner? (going for Bali trip in May,wish to take some scenery pictures.)
2. What is the necessary accessories for protecting the body and lens? Roughly what is the pricing range?

Greatly appreciate your help.:). Cant wait to own a Pentax K-x.. :cool:

my advise is to go for the 18-55mm with 50-200mm kx dual kit at $900. The 50-200 is likely to be useful if you want to take something further away. Still have $100 left to buy either a tripod or a dry cabinet.

Ya . I also suggest you to get the 50-200mm dual kit set . With only additional of 120 , that lens is a steal :)

Thanks guys, the response is fast:). I will look for dual kit and see what else can i get with the remaining budget.

Thanks guys, the response is fast:). I will look for dual kit and see what else can i get with the remaining budget.

Can try Orient Photo, Manly and SLR Rev. So far SLR Rev gave me the lowest quote. Still out of stock for the kit we are looking for though at SLR Rev and Orient.

Not to be a spoilsport, do not take it for granted that a DSLR will give you great pictures for your trip. Most people do not spend enough time getting familiar with the camera functions then start complaining later on that the camera is lousy, troublesome, etc..

If you already used a DSLR before, please ignore me.

Anyway, enjoy your Bali trip! I vowed to go there once a year at least. I LOVE BALI!

grab the eneloop quickcharge there, 35bucks, and filter if you think u might need lens protection
at least 2 cards, get sandisk, if kingston, only get made in taiwan/japan *8gb seems to be cheaper for class4 sdhc..* at least 2, or more if you aint got a computer to transfer what you shot into HDD
what i did, dual lens, screen protector, 8gb card = $925, getting the quickcharge and 2 filter next visit *35+20+20* exactly 1K =P
and then another batch of batteries from another place.. but that's another story..

I juz got mine yesterday as well.
Maybe you need some bag for some protection while travelling and some spare rechargeable batts.
Consider a dry cabinet soon after too.

I juz got mine yesterday as well.
Maybe you need some bag for some protection while travelling and some spare rechargeable batts.
Consider a dry cabinet soon after too.

Hi where did you get yours?

I may be out of topic, but heck, I LOVE BALI! lol

4438803968_f6d92c2786_o.jpg

Kuta Beach

4438025405_e0d15bc545_o.jpg

Poor horse with "straight vision" goggles

4438026681_9754c69db3_o.jpg

Catch the sunset at tanah lot

These were not taken with a Pentax... (I am ashamed) I used to own a Nikon. Anyway, I would say a kit lens can suffice 80% of my needs. Some 19% i wished i had a 35/50mm f1.8 for low light shots, 1% i wished i had a 500mm for taking surfer-babes :embrass:

Well, if i could afford underwater housing/lighting kit for DSLR... I would sacrifice the above-mentioned 100%. LOL

Not to be a spoilsport, do not take it for granted that a DSLR will give you great pictures for your trip. Most people do not spend enough time getting familiar with the camera functions then start complaining later on that the camera is lousy, troublesome, etc..

If you already used a DSLR before, please ignore me.

Anyway, enjoy your Bali trip! I vowed to go there once a year at least. I LOVE BALI!

Thanks for your advice. No worry, i wont blame camera...Anyway, good shots on Bali:D

Whiteshades: Yup,i emailed Jason in SLR and he quoted me the price.:cool:
Takane : That is what i want ;p , it may slightly over budget as not yet included batteries.
oyama85 : Will try to get a 2nd hand cabinet :D

Thanks for the advices.:thumbsup:

Not to be a spoilsport, do not take it for granted that a DSLR will give you great pictures for your trip. Most people do not spend enough time getting familiar with the camera functions then start complaining later on that the camera is lousy, troublesome, etc.

:thumbsup: So true!

Agree to this. if on vacation, nothing beats point and shoot. nothing to worry about composition, exposure etc. All that matters is capturing the moment in a small package.

that so happened that my best carressed pictures came from my handphone. :)