K-X ISO and shutter speed queries.

dashbodz

Dec 30, 2009
hi been using the K-X for some time now. still new to pentax and DSLR's

1) When i use a external flash my shutter speed can only go up to 1/180. i was using my friends nikon SB-80. i also tried it with a pentax AF200S and still the same thing...

2)My iso can go only until 200. is something wrong with the camera?

1) When i use a external flash my shutter speed can only go up to 1/180. i was using my friends nikon SB-80. i also tried it with a pentax AF200S and still the same thing...

1>> Camera goes to max flash sync speed unless in 'M' mode. And that speed is 1/180.
How did you use a SB-80 on a Pentax camera?

2>> You want lower or higher? If I am not wrong you should have a setting to expand ISO down to 100. (at least on a K7). For higher, I don't understand why you can't adjust higher, just press ISO button and adjust. :)

Also using kx but only recently, going by the manual the max flash sync speed is 1/180 don't know how you can get it to go higher.

If your ISO can go only up to 200 which is the minimum for kx, then your camera certainly got problem liao. For me, I just need to select from the rear dial the "ISO" setting, I have a choice of auto or fixed ISO setting, for auto can specify what ISO range I want, i.e. from 200 to 12800, and the camera will select the best ISO setting according to the lighting.

The same for fixed ISO, only thing is that the ISO is :dunno: fixed cannot go up or down until you change it.

To go faster than 1/180, you need to use an external flash with high-speed sync, like AF360 or AF540, or 3rd party ones like Sigma EF530 ST/Super. The Nikon SB80 can't really communicate with the Pentax body, and the AF200 is too basic....

To go faster than 1/180, you need to use an external flash with high-speed sync, like AF360 or AF540, or 3rd party ones like Sigma EF530 ST/Super. The Nikon SB80 can't really communicate with the Pentax body, and the AF200 is too basic....

both the Metz 48 and 58 can do this also. dunno why but after using both, i like the interface for the Metz 48 better than the AF 360... maybe its cos i like controlling through a display better than with buttons and dials :dunno: personal preference.

thanks guys for the replies what i ment was that my iso lowest can go is only till 200 i can increase it.....
so tat means K-x cannot go till iso 50, 100 ??????

ohh ok the flash part i understand :)

thanks guys for the replies what i ment was that my iso lowest can go is only till 200 i can increase it.....
so tat means K-x cannot go till iso 50, 100 ??????

ohh ok the flash part i understand :)

Lowest you can set is 100:)

1) max sync speed reached. normal.

2) iso200 is the camera's base iso. you can probably expand it these days (since i don't have a k-x, but the other replies suggest that you can) but it will be a "false" iso 100, involving shooting at iso 200 and "adjusting" it down artificially... something like taking a iso 200 file and dialing the exposure down by one stop.

the default setting is 200... but there is a menu setting that allows you to get it down to 100 ...