K-x is here! A short review ... K-x vs K-7

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
K-x is finally here in SG :D

I haven't played it long, only a few hours actually. But let me tell you, it's a FANTASTIC camera! Other than some obvious shortcomings (plastic body, non-weathersealed, louder shutter ...), I feel it's as good as K-7, and in some areas it's even better than K-7!

There are quite some reviews already as I posted in another thread, here I'm not gonna do the full reviews as we already seen (I'm not capable of doing that anyway ;)), here is just a summary of what I feel about this camera:

1. It is SMALL! Yeah, quite a bit smaller than the tiny K-7
2. It looks plastic, but feels very sturdy in hands
3. It is very easy to operate, most settings are easily reachable from either dedicated buttons or menu on the LCD
4. AF points can't be seen from the viewfinder, but it's there on the LCD whenever you want to check, I don't feel too much inconvenient at all, even all my previous dSLR cameras got AF indicators in the viewfinder. This you have to try to believe
5. AF is FAST! Probably even faster than K-7. Yes, it is faster w/ the FA31 mounted. I haven't compared w/ any other lens yet, but w/ FA31 on, K-x definitely has slightly faster AF -- more responsive, and less hunting under low light
6. High ISO noise control is SUPER! Far better than K-7 I have to say

I'll add more if I think of something.

After a short play w/ the new K-x camera, I can say this camera is a great performer. If only it had K-7's body ...

BTW, I got the white one:

Kx_Box.jpg

About the bandwitdh over limit problem:

Sorry about the bandwitdh over limit problem w/ my photobucket account. I had to pay for it (to upgrade to pro account, temporarily) last time when I did K7 review ... Photobucket will re-set the bandwidth by 11th of the month :)

Mean time you can see all these testing photos including photos of the camera here on my MSN Skydrive:

http://cid-845ab849c90bea71.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/KxTesting

Last edited:
The white camera looks beautiful (sorry about these lousy photos, it looks much better than these photos)

Kx_Kit_1.jpg

Kx_Kit_2.jpg

Kx_Kit_3.jpg

Kx_Kit_4.jpg

Kx_Kit_5.jpg

Last edited:
And it matches other color lenses pretty well too :cool:

Kx_FA43.jpg

Kx_FA2870.jpg

Kx_A85.jpg

Here is a comparison against the black version (bought for a friend):

Kx_Black_White.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I'm not gonna say a lot words here. Just show you how this camera compare against a K-7 at different ISO settings.

Both cameras were set to 'Natural' mode w/ every setting right at the middle, noise reduction set to off. All photos taken in RAW (DNG) and converted to JPG w/ the new Pentax software bundled w/ the new K-x camera, no post process done except crop or resize. All photos were taken with an FA31/1.8 Limited lens at F8, cameras set to Av aperture priority mode, metering is average metering. The only thing changed during the testing is the ISO value.

This is the testing scene:

TestingScene.jpg

I made two crops out of each photos so to show different parts of the photos. If you are interested, you can download the original full sized photos (converted from DNG, saved in JPG at quality 8 in CS4) and compare by yourself.

ISO100, K7 crop1:
K7_ISO100_c1.jpg

ISO100, Kx crop1:
Kx_ISO100_c1.jpg

ISO100, K7 crop2:
K7_ISO100_c2.jpg

ISO100, Kx crop2:
Kx_ISO100_c2.jpg

Please click the links to view the original photos:
K7 at ISO100
Kx at ISO100

Last edited:
Since K7 doesn't have ISO12800 setting, here I post Kx' result just to compare w/ the above ones.

ISO12800, Kx crop1:
Kx_ISO12800_c1.jpg

ISO12800, Kx crop2:
Kx_ISO12800_c2.jpg

Please click the link to view the original photo:

Kx at ISO12800

Last edited:
Looking forward to it :D

the white is really very nice.. although i've yet to see one in person.

i bet the K20D AF will seem like a turtle compared to the K-x :cry:

Wow! Beautiful! :lovegrin:

I have to the honour to touch Fengwei's Kx yesterday, and i must admit the white body looks better than the photo. To me, it doesnt feel plasticky at all. Is the result of faster AF due to a higher iso capability? sorry a newbie question here.;p

I have to the honour to touch Fengwei's Kx yesterday, and i must admit the white body looks better than the photo. To me, it doesnt feel plasticky at all. Is the result of faster AF due to a higher iso capability? sorry a newbie question here.;p

AF got nothing to do with the ISO performance.. must be pentax tweaking the AF algorithms or upgrading the AF module.. :thumbsup:

too bad i promised to stick with my K20D for 3 years.. so far only been half a year :cry:

faster AF could be due to a better AF sensor - similar in principle to that of the imaging sensor - higher SNR means shorter measuring (exposure) time.

Thanks Darren for the quick reply, so the K7 and Kx use the same SAFOX module but different algorithms? Anyway, i hope you dont get too upset with upgrading the body, just keep shooting! :D

Thanks Darren for the quick reply, so the K7 and Kx use the same SAFOX module but different algorithms? Anyway, i hope you dont get too upset with upgrading the body, just keep shooting! :D

Just guessing only.. In terms of hardware, K20D and the few earlier models have SAFOX VIII, same as K-x. K-7's is SAFOX VIII+, probably because of the AF-assist lamp etc. However, who knows what Pentax did in terms of the software, but looks like they're making improvements where it's needed.

You're right! It's about the pictures, not the gear :eek:

very nice indeed, i mean, the white one.

it seems that the surface of white one is completely smooth? (unlike the black ones has some texture).
will the white smooth surface easily be scratched? it reminds me my white macbook .... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.