K-r vs K-x: MF using Live View

kongping

Aug 14, 2006
The K-r has an LCD with 921k pixels vs 230k pixels for the K-x.

When zooming in to check for focus accuracy, is the higher resolution of the K-r LCD better (i.e little or no pixelation) than the K-x?

I'm using a K-x and when zoomed in there's slight pixelation, which, under certain lighting conditions, can make it difficult to ascertain whether the subject is in focus.

IMHO.. listen for the beep... the lcd no matter how good will have pixelation 1..

if the object is too small... listen to the beep will not work most of the time because it is in focus- for the background... haha

i only have k-x and never use k-r before...
when MF, LCD pixled but i am able to get very fine focus, thanks to the 10x zoom... good enough...
to me i don't need the nice nice look at LV...

Erm, this is what i do when i shoot my figurine. Since they are small and i shoot in a dark room AF wont work. What i do is i mount my K-x on a tripod, MF it while looking thru the VF and listen to the beep. Once lock focus, shoot it, and preview the sharpness of the subject by zooming in. If it is not sharp or is OOF, repeat and shoot again.

Using the live view to MF works too, even if there is pixelation on the LCD, you will still be able to tell if it is in focus.

K-x LV works because of the 10x zoom.
However, while on a macro outing... I use LV so much that the sensor over heated and keep shutting down.
As for K-r the 921k will help during LV. I also notice AF in LV is much faster than K-x.

Last edited: