K-7, D90.. or 550D... pls recommend shops with good offer..

scott27

Aug 21, 2010
Hi bros,

Been browsing this site for a few days now but still yet to decide on a camera.

Would like to have K-7, D90.. or 550D for long term use. price wise.. I'd like know the price and shop with good offer to purchase.. Any good recommendation?
(Actually I'm very into Pentax K-7.. but not easy to find)

Thank you for entertaining this newbie question

excited to get your reply

Scott

Last edited:
There is a list of shops consolidated here for a reason...

Not to forget...the price guides forum too...

Pentax K7, try SLR revolution (Funan); Manly (in Chinatown); OP (6th floor SimLim Sq); MS Color (AMK)
They will carry the other brands as well.
Price should be fair from these shops, but do the usual due diligence of checking out the prices in the price guide section. ;)

i suggest you do some homework before discussing it again, you need to have a better idea of the equipment before asking us for some advice...

Ya.. bro
MS Color (AMK) they don't carry Pentax.. checked already..
Will try SLR Revolution (funan).. most of the reason to get K-7 is.. most of ppl go to Canon or Nikon.. Just try some different stuff first.
Thanks anyway..

I'm doing my homework.. reading reviws about lens, body so on..

Cheers bro.

Actually got some books too...^^

I'm looking for a D90 kit, hoping to get it next week... so far this is the price I've got so far for cash terms...

SLRR - $1456
TK - $1450
AP - $1480
OP - $1480

Except for OP, which supposedly have more freebies like bag, etc, the rest comes with standard 8GB SDHC.

I believe I saw the K7 display at Alan Photo SLS shelf. If you planning to get the 550D, the best offer would be through the PPP, from what I read, which is around $1480 for the Kit II (15-135mm).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
take ur time to read, don't rush~!! its best not to jump into an expensive hobby like photgraphy if you're not ready..

Yes agree, research is most important. Don't rush into buying one and find out in a few weeks that it doesn't suit you.

Hi Cybertron88,

I am also looking into 550D. You mentioned getting it through PPP. May I know what is PPP ? Thanks.

The PPP is the Privilege Purchase Programme, where u can bring down any old faulty (or not) canon camera to Canon service centre, and tell them you want to participate in this programme, you get 20.5% off the list price for any canon cameras. You can search the forum to find out more about this.

The 550D and D90 is quite similar priced. I prefer the D90 as the features for D90 is more important to me than the features of 550D.

Hi Cybertron88,

I am also looking into 550D. You mentioned getting it through PPP. May I know what is PPP ? Thanks.

PPP = Privilege Purchase Program

im also considering 550D too, 550D is a good camera. Well, its so called " Top Entry DSLR "
just that the camera maybe slight puny though. ;)

sometimes small is fine too.. if not you will be tired of bringing your camera out.. and then leave it at home and buy a Sony Nex..

The PPP is the Privilege Purchase Programme, where u can bring down any old faulty (or not) canon camera to Canon service centre, and tell them you want to participate in this programme, you get 20.5% off the list price for any canon cameras. You can search the forum to find out more about this.

The 550D and D90 is quite similar priced. I prefer the D90 as the features for D90 is more important to me than the features of 550D.

When you are buying D90? With other additional lens etc ? Good choice

Ya.. bro
MS Color (AMK) they don't carry Pentax.. checked already..
Will try SLR Revolution (funan).. most of the reason to get K-7 is.. most of ppl go to Canon or Nikon.. Just try some different stuff first.
Thanks anyway..

I'm doing my homework.. reading reviws about lens, body so on..

Cheers bro.

Definitely saw it at OP (last week Sat).
K7 is a nice camera for the price. Weather sealing, on-camera shake reduction, adjustment of W/B and picture modes and saving of last; in camera distortion correction, lots of easy access buttons for fast access so that the eye never needs to leave the viewfinder, backward compatibility to all K-mount lenses.

Do your research first before committing. Here are a few.
http://www.photozone.de/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
I planning to get it during this week or next week during the Comex. Currently there is no promotion for the D90, and the freebies is only 8GB SDHC. Hopefully the Comex will throw in more freebies at the same price.

I'm planning just the D90 kit, with a 35mm/1.8G lens, and probably a nikon battery grip,wireless remote, sirui tripod and b+w filters.

i almost got a k-7 myself.. but i got canon instead. reason becos canon got more lenses plus i can share lens with my friends :D

I planning to get it during this week or next week during the Comex. Currently there is no promotion for the D90, and the freebies is only 8GB SDHC. Hopefully the Comex will throw in more freebies at the same price.

Comex will usually sell at RRP and toss in worthless freebies. You're better off buying from the well-known shops for the much bigger discount, then using the savings to buy high-quality accessories.