K-5IIs and DA*1650 Go Down to -30C

Yes, you read it right, it's minus 30 degree C!

Pentax K-5IIs 低溫測試影片 - YouTube

Man, that's really something, isn't it?

We've seen K5+DA*1650 took showers, now they went in -30C chamber. Never seen any other camera/lens combo did this before :cool:

lol
Maybe other makers just don't advertise it? I think even in Russia they sell and use digital cameras these days. I never had an issue at about -20C.

Last edited:
Amazing, i believe K30 has similar skills or traits too.

lol
Maybe other makers just don't advertise it? I think even in Russia they sell and use digital cameras these days. I never had an issue at about -20C.

K5 is rated to -10C.
Usually between datasheet and actual will still have some guard band.
So -20C is likely.

However a camera like D7k for example is rated to 0C.

If its on the spec sheet, if it fails, the manufacturer is liable.
So other brands may be able to go low, but they don't guarantee and are not liable if it does not.

K5 is rated to -10C.
Usually between datasheet and actual will still have some guard band.
So -20C is likely.

However a camera like D7k for example is rated to 0C.

If its on the spec sheet, if it fails, the manufacturer is liable.
So other brands may be able to go low, but they don't guarantee and are not liable if it does not.

I can guarantee you that people living in much colder countries are using those cameras on a daily basis. Do you really think a D7k is out of warranty if someone shoots a photo in Moscow?

So what crapera are you holding now? Bye bye pentax, joining new family that is same can withstand -25 at sub 2k price for body and lense

This was 5 years ago, Sony A100 with a cz16-80. The newer, tougher cameras are even better ;-)

But yeah, the "crapera" was a very basic entry-level body. The lens, while excellent optically, was built like a cheap kit.

Last edited:
Just saw the video. Did you notice at 39-42 sec onwards, did they use the K-01 for the recording??

not sure but I know that in testing and while you are actually holding one in artic area is a different environment. One in totally sealed in cold and one is surrounded with mix cold temp

I can guarantee you that people living in much colder countries are using those cameras on a daily basis. Do you really think a D7k is out of warranty if someone shoots a photo in Moscow?

Of course it does not spoil, just fail temporarily to work beyond a certain condition.
But if it does not work beyond stated temps, manufacturer is not obligated to address it.
As I've said there is sure to be a guardband btwn specs and actual performance.
So I'm not surprised that they do work beyond datasheet.

Of course it does not spoil, just fail temporarily to work beyond a certain condition.
But if it does not work beyond stated temps, manufacturer is not obligated to address it.
As I've said there is sure to be a guardband btwn specs and actual performance.
So I'm not surprised that they do work beyond datasheet.

^________________^

we know that cameras are not made of tofu and even non-wr cameras can be used in light rain as long as the user exercises due care to dry it off properly afterwards. we have seen cameras getting dunked but still usable after placing it in dry cabinet and with rice to dry out the interior.

at the end of the day, its also abt what you tell the service center... do u really have to tell them that you brought the camera to the south pole to shoot penguins? spoil just bring down, shrug and say "dunno leh... encountered some snow and now cannot use liao :dunno: ".

anyway, i thot the biggest challenge when shooting in the snow is not that the camera would stop working but that the battery would die cos of the cold?

^________________^

Hmm...
You can always your service center to see if they will guarantee that it works beyond rated temps.
:)

we know that cameras are not made of tofu and even non-wr cameras can be used in light rain as long as the user exercises due care to dry it off properly afterwards. we have seen cameras getting dunked but still usable after placing it in dry cabinet and with rice to dry out the interior.

at the end of the day, its also abt what you tell the service center... do u really have to tell them that you brought the camera to the south pole to shoot penguins? spoil just bring down, shrug and say "dunno leh... encountered some snow and now cannot use liao :dunno: ".

anyway, i thot the biggest challenge when shooting in the snow is not that the camera would stop working but that the battery would die cos of the cold?

Exactly, the K-5IIs has an operating temperature from -10 to 40°C but unfortunately it's D-LI90 battery has only a working temperature between 0°C and 40°C. ;) The additional -10°C of the body are a nice marketing gag from Pentax.

Hmm...
You can always your service center to see if they will guarantee that it works beyond rated temps.
smile.gif

No need coz they will repair it anyway in case something happens. Otherwise those companies wouldn't sell their cameras in countries with lower temperatures.

Exactly, the K-5IIs has an operating temperature from -10 to 40°C but unfortunately it's D-LI90 battery has only a working temperature between 0°C and 40°C. ;) The additional -10°C of the body are a nice marketing gag from Pentax.

i've brought my K5+16-50 to places with -8°C and it works fine. i didn't do a scientific benchmark but i did find that the original battery holds charge better than the 3rd party one.

to be fair, the specs offer an indicative range where the device is certain to work. if brought outside those operating conditions, the user has to be clear-headed enough to know that it might not work, or there are risks that the adverse conditions might damage their equipment. if we accept that possibility, we can take it anywhere we want and we might even get some very rewarding pix out of it :)

but there's really no point insisting that since i bought it from a shop in siberia, it must work in -30°C siberian winter even though the specs says otherwise.

Last edited:
i've brought my K5+16-50 to places with -8°C and it works fine. i didn't do a scientific benchmark but i did find that the original battery holds charge better than the 3rd party one.

to be fair, the specs offer an indicative range where the device is certain to work. if brought outside those operating conditions, the user has to be clear-headed enough to know that it might not work, or there are risks that the adverse conditions might damage their equipment. if we accept that possibility, we can take it anywhere we want and we might even get some very rewarding pix out of it :)

but there's really no point insisting that since i bought it from a shop in siberia, it must work in -30°C siberian winter even though the specs says otherwise.
The point was any camera will work at -30°C no matter what the marketing department decides to print into their glossy brochures. ;)

No need coz they will repair it anyway in case something happens. Otherwise those companies wouldn't sell their cameras in countries with lower temperatures.

It was not about permanent failure in the first place.

If an electronic equipment is rated to -10C, it means the necessary chamber tests have been done, as well as properly rated components/mechanicals (tolerances).
If its to 0C, that means it was tested to 0C.
A camera not rated to -10C, is just that.
Not evaluated and guaranteed to function at -10C.

Just like being in the Siberian wilderness trying to pee in the dead of winter or the heat of summer.
You might be able to do it in both conditions.
But at the risk that the small ti-ti fail to function in the former. :D

Ok.. enough from me ding-dong-ding-dong on this.
I think Donald has given a better explanation than me.

The point was any camera will work at -30CC no matter what the marketing department decides to print into their glossy brochures. ;)

...or upload to YouTube...

The point was any camera will work at -30CC no matter what the marketing department decides to print into their glossy brochures. ;)

I fail to see any other point other than the one where u're entitled to your opinions.

And since hypothermia is not high on my list of priorities, there's nothing more i want to add to this.

Over and out.