K-5 sensor rectification

WildCard081

Oct 29, 2010
Hi guys,
Question for those who have gone through it:

How long did it take for EmJay to rectify the sensor stain issue and was it a complete camera replacement or just a sensor replacement (though I think its more of the former as the latter should be a real clean room job at the manufacturer)?

If it helps, my shutter count is ~5K+ (by file number).

Did a proper test on my K-5 and now got a stain spot that only showed up after 4 months.
Would probably see Emjay on Monday as going to KL this weekend to accompany a colleague on a shooting assignment with the camera. But if they can do it on the spot, might just go down tomorrow coz my office is 10 mins walk from Emjay.

Anyone can advice?

I think they will need to send the camera to Japan and might take around 2 weeks.

Better to give Kevin a call to confirm:

---------------------------
http://emjay.com.sg/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47&Itemid=56
For service and repair enquiries of your electronic equipment, contact the Emjay Customer Care department:

Emjay Enterprises Customer Care Centre
111, North Bridge Road
#02-62A, Peninsula Plaza
Singapore 179098

Telephone: +65 6338 6313
Fax: +65 6338 4709
Email: service@emjay.com.sg
Operating Hours: Monday to Fridays; 11.00 AM to 2.00 PM, 3.00 PM to 6.00PM

If they are sensor stains, they should be there on the first day already. If they were not there before, but now show up, they are more likely to be dust spots instead of stains.

You can send in the service center for a quick check. If confirm to be stains, you can leave your camera there for exchange. Don't worry, there is no way they can change the sensor alone w/o introducing even more dusts...

If they are sensor stains, they should be there on the first day already. If they were not there before, but now show up, they are more likely to be dust spots instead of stains.

You can send in the service center for a quick check. If confirm to be stains, you can leave your camera there for exchange. Don't worry, there is no way they can change the sensor alone w/o introducing even more dusts...

Not completely true.
There were cases where the stains did not appear initially but started to develop later.

Lost the exact confirmation of it in Pentaxforums but here was one poster with such a case:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1337760-post222.html

Another possible explanation is that the stains are hard to spot at f8 or faster, which was I had used to check way back last year.

Not completely true.
There were cases where the stains did not appear initially but started to develop later.

Lost the exact confirmation of it in Pentaxforums but here was one poster with such a case:

Another possible explanation is that the stains are hard to spot at f8 or faster, which was I had used to check way back last year.

what FW said is factual. Based on public statements by Pentax USA, the stains are caused by solvents which did not evaporate properly in the course of production and affected only a very limited batch.

Hence, it is unlikely that the stain only surfaced a few months later... it doesn't take that long for solvents to evaporate.

it is more likely that the stain was there all along, but you only noticed it now. most pple don't notice it until they step down to F16-F22, just to establish if they have one of the affected sets - which is an absolutely artificial scenario... we seldom use such a small aperture cos of diffraction anyway.

not disputing that the stain is irritating and ought to be properly rectified by sending it in, but to avoid scaring yourself, its important to ensure that its not just welded dust, which can be cleaned off quite easily.

since it is so near to your office and your set is under warranty, just get Emjay to do a check for ease of mind.

Not completely true.

If it appears only now, it might be dust. That is a good thing, since it can be cleaned away and you'd get your camera back as soon as you send it in.

Depending on how bad it is, the stain issue is often seen only above f8. Often at f16 and f22.
It also has a characteristic of "a string of pearls" (I assume you have seen enough posts of such examples on PF) :)
That will take within 2wks to get back since it goes back to Japan (not sure if its for exchange or cleaning).

That will take within 2wks to get back since it goes back to Japan (not sure if its for exchange or cleaning).

Dust can be cleaned, but there is no way to clean the 'stains'. Don't think Pentax can change the sensor alone either, that's why you'd get a 'new' camera back if your existing one is 'stained' (not dusty) :)

Last edited:
Understood from everyone.

I did a sensor dust alert test which showed it was clear (although many says its not 100% accurate, it is the only test we have that's in the manual). Tried using a blower.

Although, yes, my earlier test were done using f8 or faster. Its only today when I read about that you have to use f22 or further stopped down to really see test it properly.

Its not a string of pearls (as some describe).
Let me post some pics.

Using 18-55WR at a wall.
test2.jpg

Using 55-200 at the same wall as afraid it might be dust on my lens (although I visually checked the lenses).
test3.jpg

Dust alert shows clear.
DUST.jpg

I have another shot at another wall with the 18-55WR but for the love of me Photobucket keeps refreshing the wrong picture.
So its not a stain on the wall.

Last edited:
I don't believe this is sensor stain. The sensor stains look quite different. I would say just a dust speck. And if can only be seen at f22, then don't worry about it. If still worry, just drop in to see Kevin since he is only 10 mins from your work.

Oops! It's dust and not sensor stain... Just clean it and it's okay... ;)

Hahahaha!

Ok guys.
Thanks for all the advice.

I'll just drop by Emjay and have them look through before I go for my trip.
Also I'm sending down my K-x for a final checkup and servicing before its warranty runs out this month.

Just sent my camera in for stains earlier. Mine is definitely darker than the above pictures. Confirmed to be stains be Kevin. Its going to Japan for approximately 2 weeks now.

The stain is Black dot with halos around it like a Oil spot. That ones looks like dust. But just sent to Kevin to confirm.

Mine was they change/clean the filter or something. Coz I got back the same camera. plus, everything works fine now.

I waited 2 weeks +

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it might not be due to stain or dust. If it is, the dark spot shouldn't change size regardless of the lens or focal length used, only the f/# will cause the spot to change size. But I also don't know what else it could be....

Anyway, just let Kevin solve the problem.

Your dust spot is shifting....

Check rear element of lens.

Then blow your sensor and test with same lens.